Body Armour and uniform systems under development.

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by BaldBaBoon, Nov 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just browsing around brings up a huge selection of various nations " official " press releases in relation to their next generation soldier equipment or FIST in our case.

The proposals range from simple upgrades for existing systems....more evolution than revolution in technology and appear to be a good idea......to development proposals that seem a little bit removed from what a soldier could possibly use or need,or more importantly would actually work in a warzone with the mk 1 squaddie.

Almost all have a common basis in design.

Helmet,incorporating enhanced nightvision and gps gooblies with built in communication hardware....and improved protection.

Body armour,improved protection and a carrying harness for all the batteries and electronic systems needed.

Soldier monitering system...different items,but all seem to read the vital signs of the soldier somehow.

Weapon systems most nations seem to be going for improved optics for existing weapons,linked to a HUD helmet visor rather than a new generation of small arms.

Combat uniform some like the yanks are proposing a form of exo-skeleton to improve the soldiers stamina and load carrying,others just quote improved materials.

Thing is to my eye,every single system appears that it would be an utter nightmare to actually fight in due to the increase bulk of the suits and equipment carried......or would this be offset by the greater situational awarness and communications that the designers keep speilling?

Surely the boys in Afghanistan for example want lightweight and non-hindering equipment for use....not stuff that makes you heavier and bulks you out/bigger target.

Attached Files:

2. Few more shots.

Attached Files:

3. That is a very heavy post for 1.30am on a Saturday morning - I take it you are bored at work!!!

4. Here I sit in a sweltering office, still with my body armour on. But I do this as I have developed atechnique in which I can nod off to sleep with my chin propped on the top of the armour, (so I don't snore), and to the casual observor I look awake and alert.

Body armour is evolving, though I would prefer it to be paper thin, weigh as little as possible but be able to stop high velocity projectiles, and absorb all that blunt trauma. Oh and with a nice little pop out cup holder :lol:

5. Helmet,incorporating enhanced nightvision and gps gooblies with built in communication hardware....and improved protection.

Body armour,improved protection and a carrying harness for all the batteries and electronic systems needed.

Soldier monitering system...different items,but all seem to read the vital signs of the soldier somehow.

Weapon systems most nations seem to be going for improved optics for existing weapons,linked to a HUD helmet visor rather than a new generation of small arms.

Combat uniform some like the yanks are proposing a form of exo-skeleton to improve the soldiers stamina and load carrying,others just quote improved materials.

Wouldn't worry to much mate there is no way the Government will pay for that lot.More realistically im expecting the following.

Helmet,Pressed steel with fetching lip to keep face dry in inclement weather.

Body armour,Leather gherkin with wool filling.

Soldier monitering system...Mark 5 Binos.

Weapon systems The tried and tested Lee Enfield range plus the Thompson for close in work.

Combat uniform Tunic and trousers material itchy,plus hooded poncho.

Attached Files:

6. You're so right about the side with the simplest kit wins. This was one of my biggest gripes when we took on the L85A1, comared to the SLR it was a damned complicated weapon to field strip. If it's simple it's easy to maintain and generally more reliable.

We carry far to much kit now as well. :x

7. So long as its uncomfortable and impractical and above all cheap it wins.