Body armour and helmet in the Jungle

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by 2/51, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its been a loooong time since I was in a jungle (Brunei), but in them there far distant days is was soft hat and jungle shirt.

Found an image of a member of 5 Scots jungle training in Belize with body armour and possibly a light weight helmet.

Any info on this kit? Just interested..must be unbearable in the heat?

Images 5 and 6 on this site.....
  2. Probably because they were doing live firing. Baldy Beacons range?
  3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I'm reliably informed that yes it's a ballache, but better than a hole through you! At least its not osprey!

I think those are para lids, so not as bad as the Mk6 (not that they're terribly bad by themselves...)
  4. New HSE rules then? Bearing in mind it was the mid 80's I was taking pot shots on the ranges in Brunei...floppy hats and M16's :)
  5. Until you get the sun beating down on your bonce, baking your brains and making you sweat like a waterfall ;)

I thought Para at first, but they look a lot smaller..almost like the lightweight ballistic helmets used by some Police forces.
  6. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Yes yes - I've had that experience! Speed marches round Senny during a heat wave, sweaty betty!

You could be right, but it's about the right shape. Anyways, naughty naughty para lids are not acceptable for range work (or so i've been told!)
  7. You Only wear body armour and helmet in the jungle when going out on deliberate ops. Day to day patrolling etc jungle shirt and hat. Para lid attatched to your belt kit and body armour under top flap.
    When doing range work/live firing phase you wear body armour and MK6A/MK6 as some idiot decided that you cant wear para lids on the ranges!
  8. Picture five.... what is that taped to his hand grip? It looks like a closed down prismatic!!!
  9. It's a click counter. Used as a navigation aid for calculating distance.
  10. Looks like ECBA, to be worn when field firing.