Body armour advice PLEASE

Hi all, am looking at yet another deployment to the obviuos and am looking at body armour...

Was told Osprey sh*t bust before but now i see guys and gals on the box, in papers etc wearing a sort of bid plate carrier in brit Desert DPM.

Does anyone have any info on this? Policy, what it is, what the plates are, where to get em?

Thanks very much for your time.

Roger_out

Generally you get your body armour from the man from QMs.

Policy, AFAIK, is you wear the body armour from the mand at QMs.

roger_out said:
Hi all, am looking at yet another deployment to the obviuos and am looking at body armour...

Was told Osprey sh*t bust before but now i see guys and gals on the box, in papers etc wearing a sort of bid plate carrier in brit Desert DPM.

Does anyone have any info on this? Policy, what it is, what the plates are, where to get em?

Roger_out
Maybe he's refering to the stuff Prince Harry was wearing.

ah sorry mong spelling... ment bib type, not bid.

Not seen any of the "Prince harry" stuff but i guess if others have seen him wearing it i guess thats the stuff.

Cheers

Rog

If you watch some of the news reports over the last couple of days you'll see him wearing Osprey and this bib type stuff your on about. Personally I'd stick with the Osprey your issued with, might be bulky and uncomfortable but you get used to it.

And it helps with your weight loss plan, did me anyway it's that fecking heavy :D

Also, and I am not suggesting for one minute this is going to happen to you, if you decide to use your own body armour, even if its issued by another Armed forces,and you get injured; it will severely affect any compensation you might get

Hi drain sniffer... yeah i've used osprey but didnt like it. Couldnt get the weapon in the shoulder very well. Not a fan of the rip off blackhawk pouches either but thats by the by.

Just looked at the pics of 2nd Lt Wales and yeah, thats the kinda thing.

Forget getting anything from PAX etc if you get hit and are fortunate enough to be alive to put a claim in. I don't know the exact intricacies, but by all accounts you'll be buggered anyway when it comes down to insurance.
Why change what works?

G

Green_Garfield

Opsey has saved peoples fecking lives so what you monking about?

Yeah you might not look as ally as the dick with 3 swords and an axe sticking out of his super molle webtex plate carrying blackhawk chest rig vest that doesn't fit right!

but at least if you f*ck it up you can get it changed by mr QM. try using the stuff first before you buy something that'll make you look like an arrse.

you can always buy it online when you out there if you think you don't look the part.

roger_out said:

Roger_out
Is this a wah???

I thinkyou will find that if you are not wearing Osprey you would not be insured!!

Stilts

Good to see that Gordon Brown has paid out for enough body armour that everyone gets it to train with before deployment... :x

EX_STAB said:
Good to see that Gordon Brown has paid out for enough body armour that everyone gets it to train with before deployment... :x
osprey? Never had that issued (went out about 2 months ago to replace a guy whilst he went on R&R). I just got the old style CBA.

AND a woodland helmet cover 8O

The stuff Prince Harry is wearing is (depending on what Gurkhas reckon,in the field trial) going to be issued, made by blackhawk it is a plate carrier in British DPM,will hold Osprey sapi plates but is not that well made (Lowest bidder :? certainly not up to Blackhawks usual high standards anyways).

Obviously cuts down on protection but is about half the weight of osprey as all you are affectively wearing are the plates and it also allows for more freedom of movement, how this will affect claims via pax not sure as if on-high give the go ahead to wear the plate carrier and it becomes issue tissue PAX will have to pay out if you are wearing it, ideal situation is they give the green light for all plate carriers, you are then covered for all brands of carrier as long as issued plates are in then you can purchase a better quality vest yourself.

Hope this helps :)

Dollsteeth said:
The stuff Prince Harry is wearing is (depending on what Gurkhas reckon,in the field trial) going to be issued, made by blackhawk it is a plate carrier in British DPM,will hold Osprey sapi plates but is not that well made (Lowest bidder :? certainly not up to Blackhawks usual high standards anyways).

Obviously cuts down on protection but is about half the weight of osprey as all you are affectively wearing are the plates and it also allows for more freedom of movement, how this will affect claims via pax not sure as if on-high give the go ahead to wear the plate carrier and it becomes issue tissue PAX will have to pay out if you are wearing it, ideal situation is they give the green light for all plate carriers, you are then covered for all brands of carrier as long as issued plates are in then you can purchase a better quality vest yourself.

Hope this helps :)
There are about 800 currently on trial and another 800 about to go with 16AA. The plate carrier has been changed a bit and your opinion is as valid as anyone's as to how good it is; money was not an issue that's how Blackhawk made it but its a trial run so expect QA issues. Importantly they are designed to take additional backing behind the Osprey plate which makes up for the lack of a fragmentation filler behind it. Otherwise you risk being killed by the behind armour blunt trauma. This system has been tested and proved against all the threat rounds and has passed. All the others will not have been tested in any way by the MOD and if you want to trust a manufacturer with your life then your a brave man. They do not replace the full Osprey system but instead will give people the chance to adapt the armour to the threat and mission.

People should keep one thing in mind. All ballistic components are tested rigorously with any problems being hunted down; the components are then assembled and the tests done again, unless you are an expert on body armour and ballistic physics, and have access to the threat both present and future it might not be the most sensible idea to screw around with it.

I have no idea what the system or PAX would say about getting killed with non-issue armour. However I reckon your Mum, Wife, Girlfriend or kids might question the sense; hopefully at your hospital bed rather than over your grave.

Sorry! Off my soapbox and to the bar.....

drain_sniffer said:
Also, and I am not suggesting for one minute this is going to happen to you, if you decide to use your own body armour, even if its issued by another Armed forces,and you get injured; it will severely affect any compensation you might get
Not true I'm afraid. I know of 2 guys, both shot in Afgan in the torso and both wore "home-made" type bib carriers. Both received a beautiful big compensation check. No-one asked what body armour they were wearing.

Incidentally I know of another guy who was wearing no body armour, only shorts and a helmet. He also copped one and was compensated.

threaders_vm said:
drain_sniffer said:
Not true I'm afraid. I know of 2 guys, both shot in Afgan in the torso and both wore "home-made" type bib carriers. Both received a beautiful big compensation check. No-one asked what body armour they were wearing.

Incidentally I know of another guy who was wearing no body armour, only shorts and a helmet. He also copped one and was compensated.
I was part of a BOI that made a big deal of the body armour issue, and I know it affected the injured per's payout. Perhaps if the blokes you know were wearing issue they may have got more? It does effect it, believe me

I'm not disputing that in your experience due to the BOI compensation was limited, but the guys I know extremely well were rolling in dosh. On of their payouts was £45000.

drain_sniffer said:
I was part of a BOI that made a big deal of the body armour issue, and I know it affected the injured per's payout. Perhaps if the blokes you know were wearing issue they may have got more? It does effect it, believe me
So what you're saying is the MoD allow personnel to wear plate carriers knowing full well that it will reduce any payout. This is untrue. Plate carriers, or indeed no body armour at all are sanctioned for particular operations and as it has been sanctioned from the top it does not affect insurance claims. Claims could be reduced if a soldier wears a plate carrier or non issue equipment without authority from above but as Threaders has stated and i saw myself on Herrick 4, it is highly unlikely.