Body armor carriers?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by daywalker, Oct 12, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Afternoon chaps,

I'm after some advice for a friend, he is deploying to Afghan soon and is interested in buying a different armor carrier for his Osprey. His unit have given no real direction on this and i know that when i was last there people were using their own privately purchased items.

Can anyone who is in the know gimme some info so i can pass it on to him.

2. :? your friend will need to check with his COC if alternative plate carriers are allowed .

If hes Army he SHOULD (possibly) get the new updated osprey and helmet maybe on the current herrick ,perhaps.

I dont know if there would be issues with insurance not wearing issued stuff or not ,i will leave that to the more enlightened site members to tell you .

Hope it helps
    if it doesnt then ignore it!

whatnow? :twisted:
  3. He should wear what he is issued. This is not an area for debate.
  4. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

He said that they may get the new helmet and carry system, to be fair this is what i told him but he still wants to buy his own carrier so he can make it personal to him.

He's going to use the issued armor so there shouldn't be an issue with insurance.
  5. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

I know he should but to be fair the osprey armor carrier is absolute sh*t if we're honest about it.
  6. What is so shit about it, if you don't mind me asking?
  7. Only issue protective equipment is to be worn in theatre. Helmet and body armour especially. You are supposed to also wear the issue sunglasses as well but can get away with wiley x as they have ballistic protection and are US issue.
  8. Don't forget your gloves: with the fingertips still attached.
  9. I wouldn't wear gloves unless it was freezing.
  10. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Well im not sure about the new one so im not going to comment on it but the original one was poorly made,the way the plates were designed to fit in was s*** , there was no where to fit side plates, you could only attach a few pouches to it and the pouches you did get were not all that either.

I've no doubt that you'll probably say stop moaning and that it was an awesome bit of kit, however thats just my opinion from my experiences.
  11. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Tell me the glove thing is a wah ?!
  12. Why would you want side plates? Do you want leg plates and some cotton wool to be wrapped up in as well?
  13. No it's not. Gloves on, shirt sleeves rolled right down. We're turning into a bunch of fannies.
  14. It's shite if your in an Armoured vehicle, trying to get down into the turret quickly, it always catches at the back and over time results in the bottom of the plate carrier tearing open and then the plate bloody dropping out of the carrier :twisted:

But, as stated it's what's issued so therefore it's what should be worn, until something better is developed and issued.

But obviously the current stuff isn't "Ally" enough :) good luck.
  15. daywalker

daywalker LE Reviewer

Why wouldn't you want them?