Bodies Handed in to Authorities in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Gremlin, Jun 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8111003.stm

2 sets of remains handed in to the authorities in Iraq, suspected to be British hostages:

BASTARDS

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

But thank goodness we had the guts not to pay a ransom or everybody out there would be a target. Leave it ti Italians to get snatched as they always pay up.

3. Im sure the families of the deceased will be reassured by that

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Get real. If ransoms are paid the villains know they can come back for more, which just spreads even more misery around.

5. Perhaps, but by us not paying the ransom, I dont think that will stop UK nationals being kidnapped, and then, as it would seem in this instance, killed due to a lack of ransom, or lack of rescue attempt.

Dont get me wrong, I agree that ransoms should not be paid,

But my point was, and is the fact that these people are dead, the fact that we didnt pay a ransom is going to be of no comfort to the families of those dead men.

6. The rules of the game if you are a PSG in Iraq are go down fighting, don't be taken alive… THese guys forgot that.

7. That's a tad harsh O_S... they were inside a supposedly secure building with it's own security set up, there were reportedly more than 100 insurgents inside and outside the building dressed as the same security/police as was guarding the building, doesn't sound like they stood a chance...

Only they will know.

8. Not quite, these guys were inside a 'Government' controlled building when 'apprehended' by Afghan Government Uniform wearing forces.

The issue as to who was the good guy/bad guy was clouded, a momentary pause caused by fear of doing the wrong thing and being persued, prosecuted and incarcerated by the PC lobby has caused this.

A sad loss regardless.

9. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Iraqi not Afghani... But otherwise pretty accurate :lol: :wink:

10. Apologies, yes, you are correct.

11. O_S if only it was that simple. On the ground things often are slightly more complex. Being swamped quickly by around 40-50 Police uniform wearing insurgents, is all that it takes to confuse the situation long enough to negate any contact.

Also some of the guys are known to members of this Forum. So try a little decorum in what is a difficult time.

A sad loss . Prayers and hopes for the other three for a safe return.

DC

12. Horrendous. Normally, I would hope that anyone in this situation would always kick off a bloody huge contact if anyone tried to take them prisoner, but under these circumstances, I can't easily see what they could have done if they didn't want to have the same reputation as the Blackwater guys who shot everything in sight on the occasion when they thought they were being targetted. Seeing as the Iraqis concerned were all wearing police uniform, I fail to see how they could have justified it.

My only suggestions for the future would be to make sure the "police" left one of my lads behind (to check things out and raise the alarm), and that SOP in theatre would be to refuse to hand over personal weapons. Which probably still would not have worked.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing? I suppose this shows that our lads, in or out of uniform, are more likely to show respect to indigenous people than some of our allies. No comfort to the poor families, though, is it.

Condolences to all NOK involved. Hope there is a Hell for the insurgent b@stards who did it to rot in. Hope even more that the others make it home.

13. :evil: IF it is them ,then at least the families get their bodies back for a decent burial and some form of closure. Not much consolation i know but many other families are not so fortunate.

RIP

could have been anyone of us who has been to iraq/afghan and were unlucky just the once. I wouldnt like to have been in their shoes .

14. I believe the group holding them had asked for a certain bod held by the US to be released - which was done. My thoughts are with the family at this time. It brings back memories of friends gone by.

15. Firstly condolences to all NOK involved, as waiting for any detailed confirmation at this time must be sheer hell!

Secondly, i'm sure some forum members will not be interested in any tit for tat negative comments or slagging

Lastly: PSG work anywhere, and especially in HE in the middle east is well known for all the extreme high risks involved, whether we agree or dis-agree that UK citizens should be there or not, everyone has their own reasons for doing this line of work, but we must remember it's not always a successful return journey home

full story:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8111003.stm

RIP