Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Ravers, Dec 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I appear to have ripped the engine under tray off the wife's Alfa.

Bad times indeed, must've hit a pot hole or a cat or something.

Anyway, it looks like quite a lot of hassle to put back on and a new one is £50 odd quid. Being an Alfa it's pretty low so I'll need a ramp in order to get underneath.

Then I had a thought.

Do I actually need an under tray at all? I know a lot of cars don't have them as standard and my thoughts are to just leave the ****** off, then get a new one put on when it goes in for it's next service. I know the poverty spec version of this model doesn't have one.

Otherwise it's gonna be a cable tie job.

It's one of these:

2. Leave it off, new things these, can't spot leaks with them and can't see in the engine properly. It's just another way to make it harder to do your own servicing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. It's fine. she won't see it and it is not important.
  4. You've also an opportunity to blame her for it, may get some form of return.
  5. If the tray/sump guard managed to dig in then it's not being there is only going to improve clearance.

I have helped my brother stick a sump guard on his clubman rally car (old pug) but then it needed one.
  6. If it's still under warranty, blame Alfa for it falling off, see if you can blag a freebie. It's not if it's implausible for something to break on an Alfa is it?
  7. Not certain, but I suspect that a lot of those trays are there to make the car a bit more fuel efficient. IE lower drag.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Definitely, frame her for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. If you misses drives it all the time, it'll make easier for the garage to get to the clutch when it needs its regular replacement.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. You won't get any short term damage with it missing, although fuel consumption may well rise due to drag.

Long term you will get, more crud/water/salt in the engine compartment and the complications these will bring with corrosion and wear.
  11. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Cheers for the replies.

I'll probably just leave it off for now and get a new one put on next time it goes in for a service.

Not too bothered about long term wear and tear. It's getting fucked off as soon as the ash tray is full.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. Are you still talking about the car or the wife?
  13. Wife in the boot then to the crusher. Pick up an autotrader on the way from the scrappy, find a proper car and book yourself in for a regular slot at the local massage palour, cheaper and win win all round
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its an Alfa, its amazing it starts especially where you live, it rains so sodding much!
  15. ^Oi! Quit dissing the Alfas, I quite like my 159 Sportwagon. Goes like shit off a well polished shovel, and has never failed to start on the first go.
    • Like Like x 1