BoB Won By 13-Year-Old Schoolgirl.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gun harmonisation board at Biggin Hill, Kent, set up for a Supermarine Spitfire Mark IXB of No. 341 (Free French) Squadron RAF, which has been jacked up into a level flying position in the Blister Hangar fifty yards beyond by armourers of No. 3101 Servicing Echelon. The discs on the board have placed in order to harmonise the guns so that their lines of fire converge on a point 250 yards from the aircraft. The four small outside discs are the harmonising points for the four .303 Browning machine guns, while the larger discs inboard of these are for the two 20mm cannon. The upper centre spot is for the pilot's reflector sight, and the lower spot to the left of centre is for the camera gun.

Another element for debate was the distance at which harmonisation should occur.

Think 400yards was originally the choice but more experienced pilots had it set far shorter

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
*** For context - there was a military historian comparing a .303 "Browning" round, a 12.7 "machine gun" round and a 20mm "cannon" round.
Which one won then:???:

2CD3ED70-2C19-411A-A43D-01AF0B47C023.jpeg

Niamac

GCM
Given that the Bf109 was originally designed for 2 x 7.92mm (with the theoretical possibility of putting a cannon in the engine vee) it must have been a bad day for the Luftwaffe when they found out that standard British fighter armament was 4 times that. Hence the bodging of the 2 20mm cannon into the wings thus taking the edge of the plane's performance.

I've been watching the BoB series on Channel 5 with Kate Humble and Dan Snow.

Apparently it was Nazi aircraft that were bombing the f*ck out of us, not German aircraft
If you're ever fortunate enough to visit Warsaw you will find many memorials to locals gunned down during WWII by "Hitlerites" - not Germans. These memorials can be parts of the pavement, a portion of wall or just a piece of stone. Of course all most Poles from whichever part of the country, have nothing but contempt for their neighbours, together with their rulers after 1945, the Soviets.

Last edited:
Another element for debate was the distance at which harmonisation should occur.

Think 400yards was originally the choice but more experienced pilots had it set far shorter
I remember a documentary centred around a handful of the few and the issue of harmonisation came up.

It was said by one that only occifers could adjust the distance of harmonised fire, Sergeant pilots were not allowed. The ready room also had a blanket across it, NCOs one side, commissioned the other.

To be fair, this was one former pilots experience and may not have been typical.

Would I be right in saying that even 8x .303 Brownings did not deliver a particularly devastating hammer blow? I think I remember hearing that a full ammo load, represented about 15 secs of fire. A quick squirt here and there soon depleted the load. Unless there was a hit on the opposing pilot himself, downing another aircraft could be a quite laborious affair, particularly if it was a larger aircraft type, even where accuracy was not an issue.

Cannon were the way to go and though the ammo load was diminished, the damage effect per hit rate soared. I think that the RAF learned that lesson from the Luftwaffe, rather than from another small girl.
Yanks soon discovered 4 x 0.50s weren't good enough for the Mustang, and upped to 6.
Black Widow, as a twin, could obviously carry more, so 4 x 20mm cannon, and 4 x 0.50s in the turret.
Could ruin your day.

Awol

LE
Yanks soon discovered 4 x 0.50s weren't good enough for the Mustang, and upped to 6.
Black Widow, as a twin, could obviously carry more, so 4 x 20mm cannon, and 4 x 0.50s in the turret.
Could ruin your day.
Did the cannon round explode on impact, or was it just kinetic?

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
Could ruin your day.
Not exactly true.....the problem with the Four-Gunned P-51B/C's was that the guns were mounted at an angle which led to frequent jamming problems during combat manoeuvring.
There is general agreement among P-51 Jockeys that the B/C variants were nicer to fly than the later variants.

As for P-61 Black Widow, the Four .50 Cal's in the Gun Fairing were often removed as the 4 X 20mm Cannon were more than sufficient to destroy an Axis Aircraft.

Mölders 1

Old-Salt
High explosive - HS404 cannon - M2 to the septics.
High Explosive Incendiary and Semi-Armour-Piercing were the most commonly used rounds used by the R.A.F. Hispano Armed Fighters.

Rumour has it that the standard Armour-Piercing Round used to pierce Luftwaffe Aircraft before they could detonate.

Last edited:

Bodenplatte

War Hero

Sailor Malan shortened his own guns convergence point to 250 yards after returning from France in 1940. The rest of the RAF followed shortly afterwards, before BoB

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
The weary part of me says that if it had been a boy and not a girl the BBC wouldn’t have bothered with the story.

Fact: the Battle of Britain was fought and won by men, the vast majority of whom were white.
sigh

IF only she had been Black if would be perfect.

So what's wrong with that story?

I have the feeling that if it was a thirteen-year-old boy you'd be all "well done, that lad!"

Were you just as upset when you heard about Miss Shilling's Orifice?

Link to the Telegraph's coverage of the story for fear of rousing your wrath at giving the Beeb clicks, old bean:

Nothing wrong with the story, except it perhaps growing slightly in the telling and certainly nothing to do with the gender of its protagonist- upon which you seem more fixated than I.
Just about its prominence as a means of marking the 80th anniversary of the start of the Battle of Britain.

TamH70

MIA
Nothing wrong with the story, except it perhaps growing slightly in the telling and certainly nothing to do with the gender of its protagonist- upon which you seem more fixated than I.
Just about its prominence as a means of marking the 80th anniversary of the start of the Battle of Britain.
I'd fire right back at you that anything that attracts the attention of the young folks, who on this site are continually held up as knowing the square root of fuck all about anything apart from what they get from their smartphones and tablets media consumption, is a Good Thing that may encourage some of them to do more research in the fuller picture of the Battle of Britain.

As Auld Yin says, it's time she got some recognition for not only helping her dad out with something that seemed very important but doing her bit in the subsequent war in army uniform, and then raising kids.

Truxx

LE
"Battle of Britan"? How dare you?

I think you will find the correct title is "Britains Misguided attempt to remain independent of Europe"

Feel free to amend all your pre(miss) conceptions accordingly.

I'd fire right back at you that anything that attracts the attention of the young folks, who on this site are continually held up as knowing the square root of **** all about anything apart from what they get from their smartphones and tablets media consumption, is a Good Thing that may encourage some of them to do more research in the fuller picture of the Battle of Britain.
Indeed.
Something along the lines of 'If the young men, the few, and their frail machines hadn't gone up every day and fought like tigers against vast amounts of enemy aircraft, the likelihood of Britain being taken over by the Hun, and some pretty nasty things, like all adults being sent to labour camps, were pretty high.'
Yep, a fight for survival - not a reset button in sight.

Latest Threads