Bob Ross Watch

Bob Ross: former USAF MSgt, artist... and shed-obsessed mentalist. Currently being re-run on BBC4 in all it's '80s Betamax quality glory, I'm something of a latecomer to the shedmeister, but I do find him entertaining - though probably not in the intended way. He's an accomplished brushman... to a point, and his wilderness scapes are generally proficient - and readily identifiable.

His works range from dreamlike to acid-soaked, to almost apocalyptic. His cloudscapes and mountains are above competent, but if there's one thing Bob can't do is quit when he's ahead.

Countless works have been wrecked due his shed fetish... or a ******* great tree slap bang in the middle of the canvas. I'm watching him now and he's done it AGAIN! FFS.

Anyone else mesmerised and appalled in equal measure?

Ayatollah

Old-Salt
Have been watching Bob for years on PBS, he still amazes me with how he uses paint and tools. Being bias I think the guy is a genius and a master of his trade.

slick

LE
Bob Ross: former USAF MSgt, artist... and shed-obsessed mentalist. Currently being re-run on BBC4 in all it's '80s Betamax quality glory, I'm something of a latecomer to the shedmeister, but I do find him entertaining - though probably not in the intended way. He's an accomplished brushman... to a point, and his wilderness scapes are generally proficient - and readily identifiable.

His works range from dreamlike to acid-soaked, to almost apocalyptic. His cloudscapes and mountains are above competent, but if there's one thing Bob can't do is quit when he's ahead.

Countless works have been wrecked due his shed fetish... or a ******* great tree slap bang in the middle of the canvas. I'm watching him now and he's done it AGAIN! FFS.

Anyone else mesmerised and appalled in equal measure?
We used to watch the chap on TV about 20 years ago, so the Mrs went to a Bob Ross painting course and brought home a couple of paintings, I thought she`d bought them. Turns out his methods are very easy to get the hang of in a couple of hours.
I can remember a programme called "Paint with Nancy" which used to be on in the 1970s during weekday lunchtimes, the one thing which I find is that even when watching someone paint it`s still extremely relaxing, and like most work you need to wait until the finished article to make a personal judgement.... as the mid way result can sometimes look like a mad womans shit.

slick

LE
Do him and his friends have an invisible scooter ?
That hairstyle is outrageous. .
latest

still staggin

War Hero
Fascinating to watch it all develop and to see the techniques. We used to watch it on on a night duty during our down time about 20 years ago, very relaxing and led quite quickly to, er, um, a state of tranquility ..

Nobody wrecks an artistically competent mountain scene with a Week 1 art class Betamax quality, out-of-perspective shed, or an acid-soaked dreamscape, or another shed against the backdrop of a nuclear test. He's a mentalist. I blame Vietnam.
20210302_201015.jpg

Go on... you know you want to!
20210302_201211.jpg

Can't quite put my finger on what's missing.
20210302_201233.jpg

Kinell Bob! As Hendrix said 'Hold on while I kiss this guy.'
20210302_200914.jpg

It's on Youtube BTW.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Always made me chuckle scrolling through the Sky TV listings and seeing "The Joy of Pain......."

Inside John and Charles dick... I can't find the pic of "insane pools" that was missing the l. The kids and I were sniggering so much. Mrs phantom was just exasperated.
received_782538505674459.jpeg

Hitler. There was a painter. He could paint an entire apartment in one afternoon. TWO coats! (curtesy of The Producers).

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
He was fond of putting "a happy little tree here" I'd have loved it if just once he'd added in (in his calm quiet voice " but this one, this tree is a dick"

There was a thing on US telly a couple of years ago about the mans paintings. The reporter was a bit of a Bob Ross fan and wanted to know where all his paintings had ended up seeing as the great man himself is dead. It turned out that the paintings are mostly the property of the estate which is a corporate enterprise run by a couple of his friends and still minting coin in the name of Bob Ross to this day.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There was a thing on US telly a couple of years ago about the mans paintings. The reporter was a bit of a Bob Ross fan and wanted to know where all his paintings had ended up seeing as the great man himself is dead. It turned out that the paintings are mostly the property of the estate which is a corporate enterprise run by a couple of his friends and still minting coin in the name of Bob Ross to this day.

I read somewhere that quite a few of his paintings ended up in PBS stations all over the US.

Wiki maybe?