Bob Geldof rages at BBC over Live Aid claim.

#1
Bob Geldof reacted angrily yesterday to claims broadcast on the BBC that millions of dollars raised by Band Aid were diverted to Ethiopian rebels.

The allegations that 95 per cent of aid money donated to help victims of the 1985 Ethiopian famine were siphoned off were made in a BBC radio programme broadcast yesterday.

Geldof told The Times that “it would be a f***ing tragedy” if the British people stopped giving to charity because of allegations made by the same broadcaster that inspired him to fight poverty and hunger in Africa.
A little naive to think none of the money was misappropriated seeing as it was Africa.

I'm working there right now for a well respected international company and the back handers going on has been a bit of an eye opener.

Full story in the Times.
 
#2
I wondered when Geldof would pass comment.
I don't know why anybody is surprised that lots of Live Aid money went toward killing off more Ethiopeans, Its the African way.
 
#3
It always makes me laugh when these people chip in bucketloads of cash & nothing much in the way of improvement occurs.
Apart from the senior members of govt suddenly ending up with nice holiday gaffs in the south of France & a nice wedge sitting pretty in a Swiss bank.
Niaive fools. Homegrown charidees only for me & then only ones i trust.
 
#4
ches said:
It always makes me laugh when these people chip in bucketloads of cash & nothing much in the way of improvement occurs.
Apart from the senior members of govt suddenly ending up with nice holiday gaffs in the south of France & a nice wedge sitting pretty in a Swiss bank.
Niaive fools. Homegrown charidees only for me & then only ones i trust.
Abso-fcukin-lutely. Glad I'm not alone.
 
#5
Charity begins at home. I donate to the Forces Benevolent Funds, the rest of the planet can wait.
 
#6
"Poor people in rich coutries giving money to rich people in poor counties" .. and that's apart from vast wodges of it going to buy arms to kill people. Another sanctimonious interfering do-gooder with blood on his hands.
 
#7
Shock horror,,,,,,, money syphoned off and used to line pockets, buy mercs, villas and kill their neighbours.

FFS Bob get in the real world, its ******* Africa.
 
#8
Geldof and Bono are tw@ts who think they know it all.

On a vaguely related subject, I got stopped by some "World Vision" charity muggers the other day. They asked if I'd considered helping them change the world. Apparently, their version of tackling the world's problems involves throwing my money at them, instead of actually doing something. When I told them that they were wet whinging wusses who didn't have the balls to actually achieve anything they looked quite hurt. Shame really, cos one of the lasses was really quite hot.
 
#9
Drlligaf said:
Charity begins at home. I donate to the Forces Benevolent Funds, the rest of the planet can wait.
Same here.

Rodney2q
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#10
I'm outraged at Geldof that Geldof is outraged at everyone else instead of himself for being so daft, and getting everyone to play along and give up their hard-earned wedge so a bunch of it could be used to enrich the least deserving: The aid firms, the African bosses and the war-lords.
 
#12
It's laughable that this is coming as a shock to anybody, revelations like this have been bounded around for years.

If logic had prevailed then the money would have been spent on providing the materials to build a better future, instead I have a picture of Geldof in my head handing over a giant sized novelty cheque to the corrupt government scallywags! 'Don't you go spending it on guns now, ya hear!' :shakefist:
 
#13
Drlligaf said:
Charity begins at home. I donate to the Forces Benevolent Funds, the rest of the planet can wait.
Drligaf

Spot on mate I am fed with people shoving tins in my face for poor people in foreign countries.

We have old poor people and young & middle aged poor people of all races and creeds in this country. Like the old couple couple that died over Xmas because no twats in power would help um.

Writing this on the train so that is my excuse for any typos's

Magic
 
#14
So what percentage of donations actually makes it to those that need it I wonder?
 
#15
The_Magician said:
Drlligaf said:
Charity begins at home. I donate to the Forces Benevolent Funds, the rest of the planet can wait.
Drligaf

Spot on mate I am fed with people shoving tins in my face for poor people in foreign countries.

We have old poor people and young & middle aged poor people of all races and creeds in this country. Like the old couple couple that died over Xmas because no twats in power would help um.

Writing this on the train so that is my excuse for any typos's

Magic
Thats on the money Magic, a far as I'm concerend charity begins at home. So its Hols4H and the RBL not sure about H4H though not overly happy with the way they let the one eyed bastard off the hook with rehab and retraining.

And my one civvie charity sight savers its only fair if your living in that shit hole called africa then you can at least see to run away.
 
#16
Gym-Princess said:
It's laughable that this is coming as a shock to anybody, revelations like this have been bounded around for years.

If logic had prevailed then the money would have been spent on providing the materials to build a better future, instead I have a picture of Geldof in my head handing over a giant sized novelty cheque to the corrupt government scallywags! 'Don't you go spending it on guns now, ya hear!' :shakefist:
Nail - Hit - On - Head,

Exactly! the only way to make sure donated money is spent on the people it is intended for is by charities having the means to buy everything they need with the donations and to take on the people with the skill sets who can put the material, equipment and supplies to good use, tree huggers no matter how well their intentions are, simply cannot implement what needs to be done, they need to take on tradesmen, medics and good managers and the best Logisticians who can operate in extreme environments (ring a bell?!!! who better for charities to take on than former servicemen/women).

Did Geldof & Co. make sure the millions raised back then purchased medical supplies, well drilling and water supply equipment and stores, construction material, the right kind of food products and agricultural equipment and supplies to be able to sustain all these stricken communities for the foreseeable future?! I doubt it, as has been said above, they no doubt just handed over exceedingly large cheques to some even larger government 'official'.
 
#17
I never ever give anything to overseas charities(it doent always get there to start ) and then it mostly end up in the wrong hands
 
#18
I have done a couple of contracts in Africa and the place never ceases to amaze me, on one job, we went to survey a site for an airstrip, and the money ran out before we had laid out the accomadation area, no one could find the couple of million dollars of aid cash that was supposed to pay for the job, we even had to pay our own way home, at least we were getting paid in Jersey
 
#19
Speedy said:
So what percentage of donations actually makes it to those that need it I wonder?
Depends entirely on the charity. Large organisations like world vision are companies in themselves and whilst, in their case a lot of money gets through, its objectives are ultimately doomed to failure. Smaller, independant charities, based and working in the field can assure that finance reaches those that need it, not as hard cash but as resources required. That's the problem with Geldoff's entire model, he simply collects money and distributes it to aid agencies, who take their admin costs from it, pass the finance onto another NGO, who do the same and so on...The final output is considerably lower.

And direct aid to countries will never work, not necessarily because of corruption but primarily because the fiscal infrastucture is not in place or strong enough to handle a large injection of cash. Ask Andrew Alderson, he knows all about this issue.
 
#20
muzungu_marlow said:
Speedy said:
So what percentage of donations actually makes it to those that need it I wonder?
Depends entirely on the charity. Large organisations like world vision are companies in themselves and whilst, in their case a lot of money gets through, its objectives are ultimately doomed to failure. Smaller, independant charities, based and working in the field can assure that finance reaches those that need it, not as hard cash but as resources required. That's the problem with Geldoff's entire model, he simply collects money and distributes it to aid agencies, who take their admin costs from it, pass the finance onto another NGO, who do the same and so on...The final output is considerably lower.

And direct aid to countries will never work, not necessarily because of corruption but primarily because the fiscal infrastucture is not in place or strong enough to handle a large injection of cash. Ask Andrew Alderson, he knows all about this issue.
I was told it was 1 to 5% of money getting to the point of need depending on the charity involved , but this was some time ago
 

Latest Threads

Top