Bob Ainsworth - Simply Not Up To The Job?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Bridger, Oct 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All,

I read this (old) article with interest. There were a number of comments I found both shocking and informative. (Why I should be shocked I don't know!)

Do you as a soldier/sailor/airman believe this man is up to the job?

If he's that keen on Marxism.... how about we give him five rounds and a rifle... and ship him off to a FOB in Helmand?

If he's that good at lining his own pockets with cash for his living accom - why can't he do it for our forces?
  2. That would be Bob Ainsworthless who's made over £200,000 quid playing the flipping and expenses game?

Funny how these marxists are so obsessed with making money.
  3. This piece of s*** has taken the term stupid and incompetent to a new hight
  4. I suspect that he knows he is up to the job but is deluding himself like most career politicians who realise that this is not the career for them.

If you could choose a currently serving MP to be Defence Minister (regardless of party), who would you choose?
  5. Worry not comrade, I'm sure it was all 'within the rules'.

A totally and utterly useless Defence Sec, but, like many in New Labour, extremely good at lining his own pockets. Cyclops appointing him to his current role was just another little "fuck you" from nulab to the forces. TCH, part time Des Browne and now Ainsworth, shows how little New Labour thinks of the forces!
  6. I think you're confused what Ainsworthless's job really is.

He is yet another wholly discardable chaff cartridge (cf Hoon, Broone, Hutton - Reid was actually an important party figure) released by Broon to distract from the facts that it is the endemic underfunding of MOD (cheer-leader, ex-Chancellor Broon) and two Broon/Bliar wars we are fighting in that is causing much of MODs problem.

Judging by the number of people beating up on him, he is doing his job with an exceptionally high degree of competence.
  7. Not really specifically in terms of Defence, but I've always found Frank Field to talk alot of common sense and seem like a fairly decent bloke. And thats about it I'm afraid from the Labour Party
  8. I think that in times of war the defence minister should be chosen by an all-party group of MPs. Would be nice to get one with some forces experience for a change - I think the last was Heseltine, over a quarter of a century ago. And he only barely had forces experience anyway.
  9. Has anyone been up to it in the last decade? No, I thought so.

I've had a look at all the previous incumbants of the position and I can honestly say that not many stick out as having that 'X-Factor'

Michael Heseltine - 6 January 1983 7 January 1986 - Conservative
    George Younger - 9 January 1986 24 July 1989 - Conservative
    Tom King - 24 July 1989 10 April 1992 - Conservative
    Malcolm Rifkind - 10 April 1992 5 July 1995 - Conservative
    Michael Portillo - 5 July 1995 2 May 1997 - Conservative

George Robertson - 3 May 1997 11 October 1999 - Labour
    Geoff Hoon - 11 October 1999 6 May 2005 - Labour
    John Reid - 6 May 2005 5 May 2006 - Labour
    Des Browne - 5 May 2006 3 October 2008 - Labour
    John Hutton - 3 October 2008 5 June 2009 - Labour
    Bob Ainsworth - 5 June 2009 to Present - Labour

The only one that stood out to me as having the zeal and passion for the job was George Younger. The rest were no-mark ladder climbers.

As for who to do the job now? Lets see who there is?

Leader of the House of Commons and Lord Privy Seal; Minister for Women and Equality (and deputising for the Prime Minister at PMQs): The Rt Hon Harriet Harman QC MP She'd only represent wimmin soldiers/sailors/the rest.

First Secretary of State, Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills and Lord President of the Council: The Rt Hon Lord Mandelson Speaks for itself really. He'd spend all his time visiting 3 PARA

Chancellor of the Exchequer: The Rt Hon Alistair Darling MP Ha Ha! Ha! We'll be buying our own flights out to sandy places as he's sold off the RAF

Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs: The Rt Hon David Miliband MP He's not old enough to join so he can't

Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor: The Rt Hon Jack Straw MP Ol' slippery Jack, never

Secretary of State for the Home Department: The Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP Possibly but his ambitions lie elswhere :wink:

Secretary of State for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: The Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP Who?

Secretary of State for International Development: The Rt Hon Douglas Alexander MP No!

Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government: The Rt Hon John Denham MP No!

Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families: The Rt Hon Ed Balls MP Balls by name, Balls by Nature

Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change: The Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP No!

Secretary of State for Health: The Rt Hon Andy Burnham MP Couldn't represent himself on a dating website

Secretary of State for Northern Ireland: The Rt Hon Shaun Woodward MP Slimy turn-coat back-stabbing bastard

Leader of the House of Lords and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster: The Rt Hon Baroness Royall of Blaisdon Who?

Minister for the Cabinet Office, and for the Olympics and Paymaster General: The Rt Hon Tessa Jowell MP Oh Dear Oh Dear!

Secretary of State for Scotland: The Rt Hon Jim Murphy MP Who?

Secretary of State for Work and Pensions: The Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP The Little fluffy elf ball-sucker

Chief Secretary to the Treasury: The Rt Hon Liam Byrne MP No!

Secretary of State for Wales: The Rt Hon Peter Hain MP No!

Secretary of State for Transport: Lord Adonis Sounds like a Gay bar in Amsterdam...err.. I think :oops: No!

Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport: Ben Bradshaw MP Who?

Other Cabinet attendees

Chief Whip (Parliamentary Secretary to the Treasury): The Rt Hon Nick Brown MP No!

Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office: The Rt Hon Lord Malloch-Brown No Idea!

Minister of State (Housing), Department for Communities and Local Government: The Rt Hon John Healey MP Who?

Minister of State (Business), Department for Business, Innovation and Skills: The Rt Hon Pat McFadden MP No!

Minister of State (Science and Innovation), Department for Business, Innovation and Skills: The Rt Hon Lord Drayson Who?

Attend Cabinet when their Ministerial responsibilities are on the agenda

Attorney General: The Rt Hon Baroness Scotland of Asthal QC She'd turn the HM forces into one big Foreign Legion :D

Minister of State (Children), Department for Children, Schools and Families: The Rt Hon Dawn Primarolo MP Inept useless slapper

Minister of State (Employment), Department for Work and Pensions: The Rt Hon Jim Knight MP No!
  10. You left out Lord West of Spithead, who would get rid of the Army and go back to wooden ships
  11. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Crispin Blunt MP. He might have a Rupert name, but he's a splendid chap... and his missus is dead nice and gave me a massive G&T once at their place in Reigate... can't remember why though. Have a look at
  12. Oh fcuk, she's absolutely TERRIBLE :omg:

Another one promoted way, way beyond her tiny abilities.
  13. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Drayson was at MoD and still has some responsibility for procurement - probably the best of an otherwise lackluster bunch.
  14. I'd appoint:

General The Lord Dannatt, GCB, CBE, MC.

and expect the serving soldiers to get on with it!
  15. Or would just shrink the Army until it could be left on a canal towpath to be picked up by a 'passing' journalist?