Bob Ainsworth - "Sgt Major in another life"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nigegilb, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ainsworth had done another toady interview with Labour man Maguire, instead of talking about the job in hand he talks about himself AGAIN.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/08/22/i-m-a-doer-more-than-a-thinker-in-another-life-i-d-be-a-sgt-major-that-is-where-the-real-spirit-of-the-armed-forces-lies-115875-21615259/

........in an era of freshly scrubbed politicians who look like they were cloned in a lab, he is refreshingly plain-speaking, a bit of a bruiser.

Other Cabinet ministers (grand panjandrum Peter Mandelson, Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling) shaved off moustaches after Labour focus groups were said to have found that voters trusted clean-shaven ministers.

Instead, Ainsworth took a stand against fashion. Stroking the hair above his top lip, he said: "I grew this when I was 17. I think I was trying to look older at the time.

"I got a tooth bust by somebody who decided they didn't like me and I thought the moustache hid a scar on my lip.

"It's true that people were told facial hair was not appreciated by the British public but I just decided to keep the moustache."

A vainer minister would also have capped the tooth - but it remains broken.

Ainsworth declared himself a doer, rather than a grand thinker of great political thoughts.

Asked who his heroes are, he would not answer Nelson or Wellington. He said: "My heroes are the non-commissioned officers.

"If I had another life that's what I'd be - a regimental sergeant major or a similar rank. That's where the spirit of the armed forces is.".......

In the same interview he tells how he increasingly knows families who have lost loved ones in Afghanistan. Pity he didn't contact them then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1208404/As-MoS-poll-reveals-67-want-Britain-Afghanistan-does-Labour-care-all.html

Does Labour care at all? Now even Bob Ainsworth's friend whose son died in Afghanistan bomb blast condemns defence minister

Gordon Brown's policy on Afghanistan was thrown into disarray last night after his Defence Secretary, Bob Ainsworth, was publicly condemned by a friend whose son died in a bomb blast.
    And a shock new poll revealed that a majority of voters - 69 per cent - now want Britain to pull out.
    Peter Fullarton, who lost his son James in a bomb attack in Helmand last Sunday, said Mr Ainsworth failed to send his family a note of condolence - even though he had known the Minister for 20 years and his son used to serve Mr Ainsworth drinks at their local working men's club.

Anger: Bob Ainsworth (left) was a regular customer when Lance Corporal James Fullarton worked in a bar as a teenager After The Mail on Sunday intervened-Mr Ainsworth made an astonishing U-turn, sending a belated letter to Mr Fullarton and offering to attend James's funeral.
    The U-turn came as Mr Ainsworth gave an interview to the Laboursupporting Daily Mirror, saying: 'Increasingly I have known relatives of people who've been killed or badly injured.'
    Asked whether he meets grieving relatives, he said: 'How can you refuse?

2. Pleeeeeeeeeeease, he didn't really make the RSM comment did he?

If true...

Speechless.

3. I reckon he'd make a good 22 year private. :D

4. Give him some credit. After 22 years, he would possibly have made L/CPL, (promoted on trade), and would then have retired, become a permanent fixture at the Legion, wearing his regimental blazer, waxed his moustache points, and spent the next thirty years boring everyone to death about 'When I was in Belize/Belfast/Bordon...'

RSM? Not in a million years.

5. I'd call him a cnut but I can find a use for those, even on the fugliest of swamp-donkeys.

6. Well at least you'd know for certain at which end of the stick, the cnut is.

7. Ainsworth make RSM if he was soldier?

Ha, ha , ha. THat's the funniest thing in today's papers.

A typical politician. His self estimation far exceeds the reality of his capabilities.

Someone might also point out to the Secretary of State for Defence that Regimental Sergeant Major is an appointment, not a rank.

8. You could be many things Ainsworthless, but a Sgt Major is not one of them.

You lack the basic requirements for that great task.

Immense personal integrety, a deep sense of duty, utter loyalty to your men, bravery above and beyond the call of duty goes without saying, and a deep sense of professional pride and always being a shining example to your men.

No, sorry Bob, you have none of these qualities, but maybe you could be the NAAFI manager, they're often useless buggers too.

9. I would like to buy that person a pint, and then show them how to do the job properly, fecking idle civvies

10. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

*Sniggers*

The thought of Ainsworth reaching WO1 is quite amusing though. No wait, not amusing, 'cringeworthy'.

11. Not even as the Charwallah's second assistant!

12. And I assumed all he wanted to be when he grew up was a marxist freedom fighter, fighting for the workers revolution. Obviously his dislike of the officer class must be a hangover from those days as an extreme left wing walt revolutionary. Oh how I sniggered when he was outed for fitting oak beams at taxpayers expense to his front room....

13. quote:

"If I had another life that's what I'd be - a regimental sergeant major or a similar rank. ....... unquote

Not in my regiment. He really is a patronising 'git' I hope all warrant officers are glowing with pride over this remark. Come to think of it, vomiting with disgust is more probable!

quote:

"Immense personal integrity, a deep sense of duty, utter loyalty to your men, bravery above and beyond the call of duty goes without saying, and a deep sense of professional pride and always being a shining example to your men". unquote

Oh! dear Ainsworth falls at the first fence - "Immense personal integrity".

quote: No, sorry Bob, you have none of these qualities, but maybe you could be the NAAFI manager, they're often useless buggers too.unquote

First name terms with a politician! Were you schooled in fatuous familiarity by 'Call me Tony' Bliar? :D NAAFI managers need to have skills of organisation to start with, and attributes including honesty and basic accounting, so another 'first fence fall'.

14. F*cking RSM? Ainsworth has got some bloody grand ideas about his level of importance and competence. This self serving, bottom feeding arrsehole isn't fit to lick the boots of a Private Soldier, let alone aspire to become an RSM!

CNUT!

15. R.S.M Ainsworthless!!!!!!!!!!!, Jesus Wept!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: