Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Ravers, Mar 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No not, submarines.

After years of persuasion, the missus has finally agreed to let me buy a boat. Awesome.

I've always been particularly into old speed boats and launches, the sort of shit you see at Henley or tearing about Venice. I love the look of them and they are infinitely nicer than the current crop of plastic shite that you can pick up on ebay. Don't get me wrong, sailing under the power of wind is also cool, but I'm a bit of a hooligan and I love tear arsing around at speed. I'm thinking hot Summer day, rag the boat about a bit, then leisurely motor around with a picnic and a few bottles of bubbly.

With the exception of a rubber dinghy I owned as a kid, it's going to be my first boat so I don't want to break the bank and a vintage Riva is probably a bit out of my price range. I'm thinking a 1950's or 60's British ski boat might be perfect for me. Any other boaters here?

Attached Files:

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You need a beard and a cardigan with leather elbow patches. " Classic Motor Boat Association." You might as well join the Caravan Club and admit you're middle aged
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Ravers

Don't worry, I fully intend to be thrown out of any 'association' or 'club' by acting the ****. I'm too lazy to shave anyway so this could fit in nicely with my lifestyle.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. K13EOD has a boat and I think Happybonzo does things with old trawlers.
  5. You big girl. Man the **** up and get a rigid raider. No other craft has the ability to change gentle rolling waves into concrete hard humps as you hit them at full speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Bouillabaisse

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ravers

I can't imagine a Rigid Raider going well with my cravat to be honest.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Lifeboats are good for beginners, so I've heard!
  9. Beware massive fuel consumption. And mechanical problems. remember the old (and true) adage.

If it flies floats or fucks its cheaper to rent.
    • Like Like x 5
  10. Bouillabaisse

My apologies. Not the caravan club. This lot:

Sailing and Cruising Association
  11. Ravers

Most of the sort of boats I'm looking at have fairly puny Ford 1.3 engines so shouldn't be too thirsty. Mechanical problems are all part of the fun.
  12. Ravers

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

As me dear old Na-Na used to say... "Son, if it floats, flies or fucks, rent don't buy".

Here... Classic Wooden Boat Plans
  14. Bouillabaisse

How else would I get to see lesbians in wetsuits?
    • Funny Funny x 1