Boarding School

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Pockets, Feb 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Removed by mutual agreement.
  2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I never went to boarding school but my missus did from the age of 6.

She is pretty fcuked in the head because of it and has deep rooted emotional issues associated with it.

As a result she has 100% refused to ever let any offspring we may have go to boarding school despite her late father setting up a trust fund in order for them to do so at no cost to us.
  3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I'm with your missus, Ravers. A great education, but an emotional fiasco.

I'm told things are better since the 70s but would not have put the offspring through an experiment to find out. In fact I used to use it as a threat!
  4. Perhaps her folks knew she was fecked in the head, and so sent her to the school???? :)
  5. I think it depends on the child in question, some children really enjoy it and some don't.

Most (and I stress the most) boarding school's now won't take a child as a boarder untill the term they turn 9, they are a few exceptions to that rule, but not many.
  6. Sorry to hear that but no emotional issues with our child. Ours started at 12 - 6 seems too young.
  7. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Fair one. :D

I think it was just the done thing in those days. I have no doubt her parents thought they were doing things in her best interest though.
  8. There was a programme on C4 a couple of days ago about this and for the life of me I can't remember what it was called - Leaving home at 8 or something similar. If I recall (red wine might have been involved) they focussed on 3 Forces families who sent their kids to Boarding School at 8 years old. I think one girl in particular suffered from home sickness but the rest of them seemed to get on ok after the initial shock. After maybe 6 weeks the girl who was homesick had made a good friend and had settled right in.

The wife and I are looking at putting our boys into Boarding school but not until they are 11. Anything else would seem too young.

I also thought that even though the kids might have been a bit upset they got on with it. The parents (mothers especially) seemed to be devastated !
  9. This one:
  10. RE: Queen Ethelburga's. They charge the earth for each and every extra they can.

eg- A day pupil needs to stay late (something like a school play maybe) and they charge a lot for an evening meal.
  11. My boys are at Queen Ethelburga's as well as several children of colleagues. We are very happy, as are they. You get what you pay for. You want first class facilities, you want superb academic results, you want staff who care (some are married to serving members of the Forces) then you pay the going rate. You want cheap and everything for free, then don't be surprised at what you end up with. This is a first rate School that caters for over 170 Forces children - don't knock it just because you choose to spend your money on other things!
  12. I went to boarding school when I was a pad brat in the 70`s. I only went for my last three years so was quite a bit older (14ish). The first year was a bit of a grueler, homesick, making new friends,dad in NI and associated worrying, etc. But eventually, once I settled in I believed it helped me to be more independent and when I joined the Army I was well used to being away from the comforts of home. I don`t have any regrets TBH.
  13. I am glad that you are happy and you are entitled to your opinion of the school. Having put 2 children through we are also entitled to ours. Our experience has not been good we expected greater discipline and observation that that would help focus our children. This has not been the case and it is clear to us that a teenager with the inclination can easily stray.

The staff are ok some very good but communiaction is terrible.

I agree you pay for what you get and we have not had good value for money - the rip off factor just rubs salt into the wound.

I personally know several other unhappy parents so I am not alone. I also know other schools are cheaper with better results.

Glossy brochures and extravagent facilities do not make up for lack of control, terrible communication and ridiculous pricing of extras.

As for academic results the stats are very selective a bit like goverment unemployment figures.

I respect your experience has been different and a balanced view is always healthy.
  14. I went to boarding school in Ireland from the age of 12 to the age of 15. I had a fantastic time but it's not for everyone I'll admit.

I was in the rugby first XV and the school was renowned as one of the best rugby schools in Ireland so that made life quite easy but looking back, the students who weren't good at sports or academically minded probably didn't enjoy it. It does make you very independent though.

I do know of someone who went to boarding school from the age of 6 and to be honest, I think it's done them a lot of harm emotionally but everyone is different. Personally, I'd have no issues sending any sprogs to boarding school but not at the age of 6.
  15. Does the army not pay for your children to attend boarding school?

I was a pad brat and went for my last two years as dad was posted to NI with only a year of my schooling to go. Also it was a nautical boarding school and I was intent on joining the navy (foolish youth). My understanding was that my folks had little or nothing to contribute to the costs. Travel to airports etc was always via a warrant.

Did me the power of good and I breezed through basic training (saw sense and joined army) because of the discipline that had been beaten, er I mean instilled into me.

Is this the Queen Ethelburgas school that used to be at Harrogate?