Boarding School Allowance for the Chop (allegedly...)

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by jim30, Sep 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now I know this is the news of the screws, but it makes for interesting reading.

If true, then the loss of the BSA may be a clever move to try and get people to put their papers in, without making them redundant. That way the MOD doesnt have to pay redundancy payouts and it can get the headcount down quickly. Clever, but it is going to completely mess up a lot of families education, which is unfair on the children involved.

If true, then the loss of the helicopters and drivers is a shame - I suspect that losing the ability to get around the country quickly will mean a reduction in the amount of time we see the service chiefs getting out and about to meet their people. At present its just about possible to squeeze in an out of office visit, and get back in to the office for the endless round of meetings. Now though, going any further than Portsmouth is a full day out of the office travelling for 1SL - given he's supposed to be running the Navy, I suspect we'll see a lot more of him in MB.
  2. Jim, the RAF will survive a cut to BSA, but every time it is mentioned many people think the army would be the worst effected. What is the reality, many superb (underpaid) officers only being kept in by a fantastic perk? Or a load of deadwood hanging on til the 55 exit point, like grim death because of otherwise unaffordable private school fees?
  3. Foreign Office families have just been told to find a contribution towards school fees, so I would say that MoD families should plan for something similar in the immediate future.

4. MoD families do pay a contribution don't they? I've never heard of anyone not having to shell out some money for BSA.
  5. There is a minimum contribution of 10% and the maximum rate is limited to a set amount.

As ever the papers attempt to demonstrate this as a 'top brass' perk, when the reality is there is no rank differential.
  6. So, does this mean an end to : 10 and 11 Downing Street, Chequers ( and the military staff that support the PM), Dorneywood, Chevening, Dolphin Square and Admiralty House.

An end to subsidised bars and restaraunts at the Palace of Westminster?

A rationalisation of Special Advisers, diary secretaries and other "servants" of MPs? At least senior Officers do not put their wives on the public payroll, most wives of senior officers do a lot of work for free - SSAFA, official entertainment etc.

As for CEA, the real impact will be that we lose the top third of Officers and Soldiers, those that do see the subsidy as a factor in retention, but are good enough to get an equally high paid job on the outside.

7. So some lazy arsed scum Jurno watches the Dispatches programme on Channel 4 and writes his whole article without verifying any of the facts.

CEA provides continuity of education for children whose parents have to move every couple of years due to their job and gives parents peace of mind. As a parent who didn’t use this allowance in hindsight I can see why individuals do.

My kids stayed with me throughout their education, they moved schools on numerous occasions and even in and out of the Scottish education system. I also had well over a year of ‘needless’ separation due to my lovely desk officer posting me in the middle of the academic year 3 times during their exam years. My choice, however in hindsight, I would probably save them all that upheaval if I had my time again.

My only issue with CEA is like every allowance it can be abused. I know of some officers who have spent their career living in their family home on the M4 corridor flitting between Main Building, Land and DE&S, with the odd 2 years in the field army every now and again.

They have lived in the same location yet still claim the allowance. In my opinion it should only be paid to individuals who actually move from posting to posting. I am, however, willing to be convinced by someone who has stayed in the same house for 10 years why the need CEA :wink:
  8. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

In the prep-school programme on the box last week the wife of a Lt Col (he needed a haircut) said she had moved 7 times in 12 years. Hence sending son to board. It's not just that the child gets bounced around in terms of schooling style and curriculum, but also in terms of friendships.

There is a catch to CAARPS' viewpoint, I think, as the best thing for the child may be to settle it in (say) its secondary school for the whole duration of its time up to O-level at least. If with hindsight the father turns out to have had the sort of career CAARPS mentions, this may not have been predictable when schooling decisions had to be taken.

But in the end I suppose it is a question of who do the Services want to retain, and how much does that cost? As it is, I have never seen a study which addressed the quality of those who PVRd or took whatever redundancy package was on offer vs those who sloged on, confident in the idea that the competition was suffering useful attrition.
  9. I wholeheartedly agree, I can never be accused of thinking things through :grin:, however, those individuals I have mentioned, and they do exist, make it easier for the ill informed outsider to come to the wrong judgement.
  12. And so it should be.

I know of an RN Officer who's lived in Pompey all his career but still sends his sprogs to boarding school courtesy of the tax payer. Zero disruption to his homelife as all his drafts have been local or Pompey running ships.

Whilst the idea had merit back in the days of Empire and frequent overseas postings, these days for many its just a means to get cheap public schooling for your kids.
  13. And for others it is a way of maintaining continuity of education when they adhere to their posting order and move the length and breadth of the country and backwards and forwards to Germany at the drop of a hat
  14. Well, CAARPS, after this defence review, there will be about two remaining RAF stations, kinda difficult to hang on to this argument isn't it? Especially when troops stationed in Germany head home. I had a Colonel deride a 15 grand a year (day fees), public school with excellent results the other day. Not good enough for his child, who was destined for Winchester, (Oxbridge connections don't you know). The fact that that 2/3rds of the 30K per year fees will be met by UK taxpayers seemed to pass him by.
  15. Well as BFG is pretty much guaranteed to be closed down there will be far less 'disruption' from OS drafts and as for moving the length and breadth of the country? Same applies for many civvy jobs too.

Nope, sorry, BSA is an anachronism in an ever geographically shrinking MOD.