Boarding school allowance for deceased soldiers children

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by cav_sig, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. This is my first addition to a forum so forgive me if i havnt done this correctly. I am a recent widow with 2 young children and am enquiring about boarding school allowance for thier future. I have heard several answers as to weather i am still entitled to it and want to know if anybody has any experience in this matter and can answer more clearly.
  2. Sorry to hear of your loss mate and while I am not an expert I do claim the allowance. It is to ensure continuity of education for children as a result of a soldier's frequent movements necessitating a number of schools.

    Normal qualifying criteria are that at least you should relocate your family upon posting (ie not leave them tied to one area) and therefore, with no further movements pending I do not think you would qualify.

    If however your child(ren) are already in boarding school then there may be a potential for arguing that to remove them would upset that continuity...... but I wouldn't be too optimistic.

  3. Sorry to hear about you sad loss.

    With regards to the allowances, maybe you should contact BAFF, or the RBL.

    I'm sure they will be able to assist you if the MoD refuse to carry on with the payments - maybe by argueing you case, or maybe even assisting financially (the RBL).

    Good luck with everything.
  4. Thanks, your answers go with some of the things i have been told. My children are still very young so were not registered to any school yet but it is dissapointing as we had decided along time ago that boarding school was what we wanted for them. thanks anyway.
  5. Your CVO should be your first point of contact. - extract from JSP 752:

    09.0133. Death or Invaliding. If the Service person dies or is invalided from the Service, the following rules apply for further entitlement to CEA:

    a. There will be no new entitlement for any child(ren) not already in receipt of CEA when the Service parent dies or is invalided, irrespective of any future parental aspirations for the education of their child(ren).

    b. CEA will continue to be paid up to the end of the current stage of education or for up to 2 full terms after the term in which the death or invaliding of the Service person occurred for each child, whichever is the longer extension.

    c. If the child is already studying for public examinations, CEA will continue to be paid for up to 4 years or to the end of the term in which the child takes the examination and then leaves school, whichever is soonest (eg for a child aged 14-16 years who moves onto A-level studies, this would normally be up to 4 further years, for a child aged 16-18 years it would normally be up to 2 further years).

    If you need any further advice etc feel free to PM me

  6. Have you considered Duke of York's Royal Military School? Or, if you're Scottish, Queen Victoria School?

    They're set up to cope with just your situation; there were several children at QVS around my year who had lost a serving parent. Basically, they're the highest priority for entry to the school. No CEA required.
  7. Thankyou for your suggestions, i will look into them. this is more the information that i was looking for rather than the very clinical "tough luck" that makes you feel like you are having a cheek asking the questions in the first place.
  8. oldbaldy

    oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

    Sorry for your loss .

    As well as the good suggestions you have already had don't forget it may well suit your circumstances to have a private school near to where you live & your nippers go as a day pupil. All these schools will have bursaries which they advertise on a regular basis. Have a look round your local area & see what is on offer.

    & no you have not got a cheek asking. You want the best for your children & we will help where we can. With a bit of banter thrown in, of course :wink:
  9. Have you tried your late husband's regimental association. The Gunners have various funds that may help. The Kelly Holdsworth trust was set up for the widows of officers and there is another I believe tht was set up for Other ranks. Other Regiments and Corps may have the same. It might be worth a try.

    I am very sorry for your loss. Good Luck!
  10. cav_sig,

    My daughter is at the Duke of Yorks Royal Military School in Dover. My daughter's best friend at the school, her Dad died several years ago. She is now a pupil, along with her two brothers!

    The number for the Headmaster's Secretary/Admissions Office is 01304 245024. They are very helpful.

    Best of luck for the future!

  11. Thankyou all for your advice, it gives me a bit more hope. I am ex army myself so i may try both our regiments associations if things are more than i can expect.
    Thankyou also for your condolances.