BNP to get £670,000 from taxpayers to fund campaign

oldbaldy

LE
From The Scotsman:
POLITICIANS and anti-racism campaigners reacted with outrage last night when it emerged that the far-right British National Party was to get its own election broadcast during this year's Holyrood campaign as well as hundreds of thousands of pounds in free election publicity from the taxpayer.

The Scotsman has learned that the BNP is to field candidates across Scotland for the first time in May. It will put up 32 candidates, four on each of the eight regional lists.

This is partly an attempt to maximise the far-right vote. But it is also a tactic to get the most out of the electoral rules. Any party which stands at least four candidates in every region is entitled to a party election broadcast.

The party said it hopes all its candidates will live in the area they aim to represent, but it has three Scottish members, currently living in England, who are willing to stand north of the border if required.

As well as gaining a nationwide television platform, the party will also be able to claim postal costs from the government for each candidate to send a leaflet to every voter in their region or constituency.

This is another rule established to help candidates get their message out, but the BNP will use it to send out 2.6 million leaflets, one to every household in Scotland. The cost of second-class postage on these will be £594,000.

The three to four-minute party election broadcast, at prime time on BBC1 Scotland, BBC2 and the Scottish parts of the ITV network, is the equivalent of about £75,000 of advertising time - giving the BNP almost £670,000 in free publicity.

Christine May, for Labour, said she was outraged that the BNP was using the system just to get itself a party election broadcast.

She said: "This is a clear misuse of the electoral system. They are doing it because there is no other way of getting publicity for their obnoxious policies.

"They are treating the electorate with the same sort of contempt they usually reserve for ethnic minorities."

Chris Bartter, for the Unison union, which has campaigned consistently against racism, said: "We have had previous experience of the BNP's message of hate. In the 2004 European elections they used our taxes to send out material that was full of half-truths, mistruths and groundless assertions.

"The BNP masquerade as respectable politicians, but the reality is that they abuse taxpayers' money to promote their aim of whipping up hatred against immigrants and asylum seekers."

And Robina Qureshi, director of Positive Action for Housing, said: "

These are fascists masquerading as politicians and we will see them off. We will make sure they don't get a platform."

Kenny Smith, BNP spokesman in Scotland, said the party had most of its candidates in place and was confident of getting the remainder within weeks.

He said the BNP aimed to attract 40,000 votes across Scotland. "A crew from BNP TV will come up to film the broadcast nearer the time," he said.

The party believes its anti-immigration approach will win votes, particularly in Glasgow.

Mr Smith said: "There are people coming in who get housing and benefits which local people don't get. They have to sit in sub-standard, damp housing while other people get things in five minutes."

Opposition parties were united in their condemnation of the BNP.

Nicola Sturgeon, the deputy leader of the SNP, said: "I'm sure Scots will ensure that any attempts by the BNP to gain an electoral foothold in Scotland will be firmly rejected."

Bill Aitken, for the Tories, said: "I am sure they will be just as successful as they were last time - when they disappeared without trace in Glasgow."

Tommy Sheridan, leader of Solidarity, said he would refuse to share a platform, debate or attend meetings with the BNP.

He said: "These people epitomise hate, intolerance and racial division. Violence follows them wherever they go. They would deny democracy to all others if they could and therefore deserve no democratic tolerance."

• THE British National Party has achieved little success in Scotland in the past.

In 1999, it stood in the European elections and got just 3,000 votes.

In 2003, at the Scottish Parliament elections, the BNP stood candidates on the list in Glasgow and received 2,344 votes - just 1.1 per cent of the vote.

In 2004, the party had its biggest success, getting 20,000 votes in the European elections, when the whole of the country was counted as one region, electing seven MEPs together.

At the 2005 general election, the BNP stood just two candidates in Scotland, in Glasgow North East and Glasgow Central, and got between 2.5 and 3 per cent of the ballot - 1,571 votes.

All these performances have been disappointing for the BNP in the context of the party's record across the UK.
http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=199882007

Is BNP a lawfully registerd party? Yes.

Are those who vote for it taxpayers? Yes.

Would it be right to discriminate rights of British citizens? No.

What is a true way to stop funding of BNP? Only a courts decision.

KGB_resident said:
Is BNP a lawfully registerd party? Yes.

Are those who vote for it taxpayers? Yes.

Would it be right to discriminate rights of British citizens? No.

What is a true way to stop funding of BNP? Only a courts decision.
Well said.

In 2004, the party had its biggest success, getting 20,000 votes in the European elections, when the whole of the country was counted as one region, electing seven MEPs together.
Shows how fair our voting system is then!

BNP get 4.9% (808200)of the vote and zero MEPS while SNP get 1.4% (231505)which equals 2 MEPS and WNP (Plaid Cymru) gets a measly 1% (159888) but also manages to get 1 MEP.

Not sure which is worse, the fact that 808,200 people voted for the BNP or that even with 300,000 more voters than the SNP they still got fcuked off.

Figures from http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/vote2004/euro_uk/html/front.stm

intli

War Hero
Steven said:
Shows how fair our voting system is then!

BNP get 4.9% (808200)of the vote and zero MEPS while SNP get 1.4% (231505)which equals 2 MEPS and WNP (Plaid Cymru) gets a measly 1% (159888) but also manages to get 1 MEP.

Not sure which is worse, the fact that 808,200 people voted for the BNP or that even with 300,000 more voters than the SNP they still got fcuked off.
If it had been the Scottish Communist Party no doubt they would have been welcomes as comrades in arms!

We live in a democracy (allegedly).
The BNP are entitled to the same as any other political party.
And enough people vote for them, they are entitled to represent those people, whose views are just as valid as anyone elses.

Blokeonabike said:
And enough people vote for them, they are entitled to represent those people, whose views are just as valid as anyone elses.
agreed...even spineless racist pricks who I wouldnt even piss on get to have equal rights.

moving-target-survivor said:
Blokeonabike said:
agreed...even spineless racist pricks who I wouldnt even urine on get to have equal rights.
Ah, but that's the real problem with the BNP now isn't it. While undeniably racist, their membership are neither spineless nor pricks.

Anybody who is willing to publicly support the BNP is, frankly, a braver man than I am. They face villification and possibly even loss of their jobs because of their extreme political views. Therefore, willingness to campaign for the BNP demonstrates a very high level of dedication to the party and its policies.

Like many people, I used to believe that the BNP was little more than a social club for swastika waving, bovver booted skinheads. That seems not to be the case any more.

Did you read the recent article by the reporter who worked iirc for the Guardian? He infiltrated the BNP and eventually became some sort of London regional organiser with access to their membership lists. To his surprise, the members didn't consist exclusively of knuckle dragging neanderthals who owned copies of Mein Kampf despite being unable to read.

A growing proportion of the BNP membership seems to consist of well educated, professional people. These include the directors of successful companies as well as a disproportionate number of school teachers. Once these people start rising up into senior positions in the party, the BNP will become better organised and more professional.

It's a near certainty that they will increase the number of local councilors that they have at this years local elections. They may take control of Burnley council and I think it's probable that they will get MSPs elected to the Scottish parliament in May.

If Gordon Brown doesn't get a grip of the loony left and bring government policy more into line with public opinion, I think we will see BNP MPs elected to Westminster at the next general election.

I think the BNP now is comparable to the Nazi party in Germany in the mid 1920s. They are just starting to get organised. If the next government doesn't deal fairly and responsibly with the problems that Labour's politically correct policies have created over the past 10 years, the BNP may well become a significant and permanent feature in British politics, not unlike the Front National in France.

Thats my tuppence worth of wisdom. What do the rest of you think?

"What do the rest of you think"

I think your post is absolutely spot on.

However, were I still a serving member of HMForces I certainly wouldn't publish my support for the BNP.

Blokeonabike said:
Novel idea to say the least Blokeonabike.
Imagine a democratic country (UK) where the politicians represent the electorate :crazy:

I personally think the BNP are a nasty stain on this country, and there is a hidden agenda with them that, as Ancient Marriner quite rightly states, will bite us all in the bum if we let them. However, they are at the moment a legitimate political movement and as such should be entitled to all that comes with it.

To be honest based on their latest election results in Scotland the BNP are very unlikely to get a single MSP. Any attempts they have made to get a real toe hold north of the border have been rebuffed, as they are seen firstly as an English National Party as likely to be biased against the Scots as they are against particularly coloured immigrant peoples, and racists in general. I think in general their forays north of the border are more about getting free air time to help their campaigns south of the border rather than a real hope of electoral success north of the border.

Peter

They tried to get in amongst the Kriss Donald murder case and champion the hunt for their killers (who were later jailed for his rascist murder). However, Kriss Donalds mother told them to poke it and get lost, as far as she was concerned they were no better than the murderers.

The BNP don't have a hope in hell in the Scottish Elections.

I think AM you have got it spot on.

You cannot be fired for supporting a legitimate political party. The only problem in being Far-Right in the military is if you become a member or provide support to a banned grouping - Combat 18 etc. However, it is not advisible to express your far-right views due to the MOD's policy of equality and diversity. It will harm your career.

ishinryu said:
You cannot be fired for supporting a legitimate political party. The only problem in being Far-Right in the military is if you become a member or provide support to a banned grouping - Combat 18 etc. However, it is not advisible to express your far-right views due to the MOD's policy of equality and diversity. It will harm your career.
You cannot be a member of the Communist Party

The way to deal with the threat of the BNP is to deal with the issues that cause people to agree with the BNP. Calling them names or evn trying to ban them or silence them some other way will only drive them underground.

ishinryu said:
Can you not?

Fascist driven out of Hulme Asda

Fucking lefties are just as bad sometimes! "Freedom for all... except for you BECAUSE of your beliefs."

I don't support the fuckers, don't see either side of the Left/Right as having the right idea of how to go about things. BUT this is the sign of the times.

Islamic extremism goes on the up, the extreme right respond in someway, then the extreme left act up and kick up a fuss.

And it's this sort of bollocks, from every angle be it religious, political or hippy, that are the threats we must be most cautious of as serving soldiers.