BNP elected in Birmingham due to "double counting"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabby, May 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The BNP gained a seat in Birmingham council even though she only came 3rd... BBC

How could they be double counted? Sounds dodgy to me

2. Does sound a bit fishy. I always thouht vote counting was heavely monitored and procedures put in place to stop this kind of cock-up.

3. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Why do they always put the most greasy, unpleasant photos on them thar articles.

Nothing like a little subtle bias from the beeb eh ;)

4. i think you may find that 'was thier good side'

5. I'll be interested to see where this goes.

I'm the last person to stick up for the BNP. But if this is a shady allegation, they deserve to be exonerated. If it's not, then I'd like to know how it could have happened.

6. Maybe they used both hands.

7. Two recounts and she still got elected
    The Labour Party then takes Court action to overturn the result?
    Sounds pretty damn dodgey to me, wether you like the BNP or not is irrelevant. Manipulation of the democratic process is un-acceptable.
    It seems that yet again attempts are being made to pervert democracy.
    Remember the "Banana Republic" comments by a Judge no that long ago?

If democratically elected then the BNP candidate has every right to take her seat wether we like it or not, Labour feel they can contest it in Court simply beause a lot of people view the BNP as un-savoury and think they will get public support for it.
    As far as I can see, the locals are perfectly entitled to elect anybody they choose, its called democracy.....

8. ” Officials announced her win after two recounts but later slashed her vote from 2,310 to 1,329”.

Why after 2 re-counts, do they give her the seat and then adjust her votes so now she is not warranted to hold that seat. It seems to me like dodgy dealings on the part of officials.

9. I would find it incredible. I was present for one count, and there are numerous safeguards in place to prevent fraud in the count. In addition to that , there are invariably agents of the candidate watching the counters and 'telling' off on the voting slips. Certainly the BNP candidate I saw was doing that.

However, the problem here, seems to be that there was accidental double counting. The manner in which the ballots had to be counted in this ward (2 votes per paper) meant there was some confusion allegedly.

The vote in Kingstanding was close , so there will be further investigation as a result of the petition.