BNP Bids To Hijack Poppy Day

oldbaldy

LE
Moderator
#1
THE far-right BNP are trying to hijack Scotland's Poppy Appeal to win public support.

The racist organisation have asked activists to volunteer to sell the emblems of remembrance for our war heroes.

In a secret bulletin to Scots members, the party ask them to take advantage of a shortage of volunteers.

The memo states: "We should be at the front of the queue volunteering to do our bit as we understand better than most the patriotic sacrifice made by those serving and ex-service men and women."

Last night, furious Poppy Appeal organisers said they were appalled by the BNP's sick bid to win favour.

Jim Panton, chief executive of Poppyscotland, said: "I had no idea the BNP have tried to get involved in the Poppy Appeal.

"It's outrageous for any organisation or group to try to hijack the poppy for their own benefit or gain.

"It is a misuse and misrepresentation of the sentiment of the appeal and we would take a strong line against that.

"We are apolitical and have not asked any party to back us."

Brigadier Frank Coutts, 89, who served in the Second World War with the King's Own Scottish Borderers, added: "I used to sell poppies on the streets and I wouldn't want to be associated with any sellers from the BNP.

"Their beliefs are outrageous and contrary to the Royal British Legion's aims. They are disloyal to this country.

"The Poppy Appeal is a national institution of great importance and no one should be doing anything that might damage that."

Last year in Scotland, the Poppy Appeal raised £1.5million. This month, more than 10,000 volunteers armed with 60,000 collection cans will sell poppies.

Neil Griffiths, of the Royal British Legion Scotland, said: "We abhor any association with the BNP. I worked most ofmy military career with Gurkhas and feel angry by any level of racism when I encounter it.

"The BNP seem to have forgotten that the Indian Army in the Second World War had two million members.

"It was the biggest volunteer army in military history and it played a huge role in the war."

This year's appeal was launched on Wednesday by First Minister Alex Salmond and Scotland football team manager Alex McLeish.

SNP defence spokesman Angus Robertson said: "Poppy Day is a day for remembrance by all for all who have made the ultimate sacrifice in conflict and a substantial source of support for our veterans.

"It is appalling for the far right to try to hijack it. Their repugnant views are rejected right across Scottish society and by our brave ex-service personnel.

The poppy is a symbol of our unity and Scots will always wear it with pride." Last night, Kenny Smith, the BNP's Scottish organiser, said: "We are not a Nazi or fascist party. We are not racists.

"We are patriots who believe that those who laid down their lives for this country in two world wars should always be remembered. There is no way we are hijacking the poppy appeal for political purposes."

mailfile

The activists

THESE are the BNP members who could be selling you poppies this week.

Warren Bennett was one of 58 Scots banned from the Scotland v Norway match during France 98. He was paid to protect BNP leader Nick Griffin on a visit to Glasgow after the racist murder of teenager Kriss Donald.

Scott McLean, 33, of Glasgow, was photographed giving a Nazi salute at a Blood and Honour skinhead festival.

Steve Blake, an IT consultant, of Stirling, runs the BNP website. He imported hardcore Nazi material from the US in the 80s.

Kenny Smith, of Dennistoun, Glasgow, is editor of the Scottish edition of the British Nationalist magazine.

William Hamilton, a former director of Hamilton Academical FC, stood against Mohammed Sarwar in the 2005 election.
http://www.sundaymail.co.uk/news/sc.../bnp-bids-to-hijack-poppy-day-78057-20058844/


They will try anything!
 
#2
if only the other political parties were so quick to volunteer. As long as they are just selling poppies and not identifying themselves as bnp whilst collecting i don't see the problem.

And no i don't support BNP
 
#3
If they volunteer to sell poppies and just sell poppies good on them .
Otherwise do one .
 
#4
The other parties are only p*ssed off because they didn't think of it or couldn't get any volunteers.
 
#5
I think we are kind of missing the fucking point here aren't we?

Where will YOU be over the course of the next week? Have you gone along to the local RBL and begged for a poppy box and a collection tin? Where will you be next day off (if it falls between now and Remembrance Sunday)?

If you aren't on tour and you aren't on ex then hang your head in shame.

The BNP is attempting to hijack the memory of every veteran that has been remembered since the inception of this day. All because there aren't enough volunteers. You hypocrites.

And before you start I have arranged my box, got permission from my Colonel and will be in Uniform with medals selling as many as I can next Saturday in my home village, and I will have travelled back from Germany to do it.

Before I get the "I tried to get a box from the British Legion" winges, where is the famed initiative of the British soldier? Keep fucking trying.

If this post applies to you then take a long hard look at yourself, and how many RIP threads you have posted on. Could it be true that they are just words?

If it doesn't apply to you I apologise now.

Rant off.

Heed.
 
#7
The fear being that if the Poppy Appeal becomes associated with those types joining the ranks, could it tarnish the image of this fine institution? Deter good people from joining because of this element?

Not to mention that they must only be selling Poppies to remember white veterans and not any other soldier and that many of those remembered died fighting fascism and the thoughts and beliefs that the BNP hold dear.

A shortage of volunteers is of course a problem, but do you really want to politicise the appeal with fascist elements?

Typical of their tactics, but it should be stamped out before it takes hold, otherwise a lack of volunteers will be the least of RBL's problems.
 
#9
On the 11th, I will be mainly doing some marching with some (more than 5 and less than 7) medals on, wearing my poppy with pride, and dusty eyes.

I don't know which poppy to wear though. I've only got 3 at the moment. None of them were sold to me by the BNP, unless the blerk outside the shopping centre in Cambridge counts, and he was TA and had medals and was at least 70.

Bugger, I forgot the one in my beret.
 
#10
quote:
The memo states: "We should be at the front of the queue volunteering to do our bit as we understand better than most the patriotic sacrifice made by those serving and ex-service men and women."

will they understand the sacrifices of all soldiers including commonwealth, and those who don't fit there ideals of what is british!! would they recognise the sacrifices of soldiers such as Jonnson Beharry vc?
 
#11
jumpinmonkey said:
quote:
The memo states: "We should be at the front of the queue volunteering to do our bit as we understand better than most the patriotic sacrifice made by those serving and ex-service men and women."

will they understand the sacrifices of all soldiers including commonwealth, and those who don't fit there ideals of what is british!! would they recognise the sacrifices of soldiers such as Jonnson Beharry vc?
A damned sight more than the likes of those politicians who will no doubt be posing for the cameras at The Cenotaph this weekend before they carry on ignoring the military covenant.

As long as its done non politically and recognises the sacrifices of ALL soldiers then they should be applauded and not condemned.

Have you ever stopped to consider that those politicians criticising them and attempting to make political capital from this situation have probably never helped with a collection in their life?
 
#12
The_Cad said:
A damned sight more than the likes of those politicians who will no doubt be posing for the cameras at The Cenotaph this weekend before they carry on ignoring the military covenant.

As long as its done non politically and recognises the sacrifices of ALL soldiers then they should be applauded and not condemned.

Have you ever stopped to consider that those politicians criticising them and attempting to make political capital from this situation have probably never helped with a collection in their life?
What so the BNP can wrap themselves in the Union Flag (or indeed the St Andrews Cross) and call themselves better patriots? The Union flag belongs to moderately minded, generally law abiding people, not extreme bigots like Griffin and his ilk.

Sorry Cad, I know you have leanings that agree with some of the BNP's policies but have you gone blind?

This is the BNP we are talking about. Forced repatriation, Racist and Homophobic policies etc. The whole shebang is political Cad, and to suggest otherwise is blinkered in the extreme.

I find it insulting that the BNP could even be associated with such an august establishment as the RBL.

Let me put it this way. Here I am, Abdul Razzaq, 23 Years old born in the Gorbals with parents that have run their own business and now retired. I get up and go into the St Enoch Centre on Saturday morning and spot a poppy seller. I want one as my Grandad fought with the Indian Army during the Burma Campaign. The seller is not too old, lets say forty ish, no medals on, just stood there engaging in a bit of banter with the passers by.

But I have read the article above. So I walk on by. He MIGHT be from the BNP.

THAT is the overall aim of the BNP with this move. They could not give two hoots for the poppy appeal IMHO. No doubt we will see a "study" or research" in the near future that shows the Brahn peepul of this great nation are less patriotic than the Anglo Saxon.

As far as your point about other pollies is concerned I couldn't agree more. I think it is about time the House had a few more Honourable and Gallant members - don't you?
 
#15
Heedthebaw said:
The_Cad said:
A damned sight more than the likes of those politicians who will no doubt be posing for the cameras at The Cenotaph this weekend before they carry on ignoring the military covenant.

As long as its done non politically and recognises the sacrifices of ALL soldiers then they should be applauded and not condemned.

Have you ever stopped to consider that those politicians criticising them and attempting to make political capital from this situation have probably never helped with a collection in their life?
What so the BNP can wrap themselves in the Union Flag (or indeed the St Andrews Cross) and call themselves better patriots? The Union flag belongs to moderately minded, generally law abiding people, not extreme bigots like Griffin and his ilk.

Sorry Cad, I know you have leanings that agree with some of the BNP's policies but have you gone blind?

This is the BNP we are talking about. Forced repatriation, Racist and Homophobic policies etc. The whole shebang is political Cad, and to suggest otherwise is blinkered in the extreme.

I find it insulting that the BNP could even be associated with such an august establishment as the RBL.

Let me put it this way. Here I am, Abdul Razzaq, 23 Years old born in the Gorbals with parents that have run their own business and now retired. I get up and go into the St Enoch Centre on Saturday morning and spot a poppy seller. I want one as my Grandad fought with the Indian Army during the Burma Campaign. The seller is not too old, lets say forty ish, no medals on, just stood there engaging in a bit of banter with the passers by.

But I have read the article above. So I walk on by. He MIGHT be from the BNP.

THAT is the overall aim of the BNP with this move. They could not give two hoots for the poppy appeal IMHO. No doubt we will see a "study" or research" in the near future that shows the Brahn peepul of this great nation are less patriotic than the Anglo Saxon.

As far as your point about other pollies is concerned I couldn't agree more. I think it is about time the House had a few more Honourable and Gallant members - don't you?

Definitely agree with your last sentence!!

I repeat my statement about it being non political. Providing the BNP members are selling them as private individuals without attempting to link the RBL appeal to them then I have no problem.

I also repeat my statement about those who ARE making a political issue out of this. Do you think their motives are pure? Don't you think by raising this they themselves are guilty of hijacking the RBL appeal for their own nefarious ends?

Remembrance is above politics, we remember all those brave troops and civilians who have given their lives in the service of our country irrespective of their race or beliefs.

I wholeheartedly condemn anyone who would take advantage of Poppy Day and that includes those tossers who sell white poppies.
 
#16
It's very sad that the 11th has become a political issue at all.

The significance of Rememberance Day to society is slowly slipping imo and if it takes the BNP volunteering to shame people into getting active, so be it.

As long as any BNP'ers who get involved do so in the correct spirit, so what? I thought it was the day politics was put aside to remember a higher cause, I wouldn't really care if poppies were sold by members of the British Communist party. We can choose to reject extremists if we wish but on the 11th should be grateful we have a free society where we can make that choice.

If they start doing some politicking at the same time then fair enough, batter them.
 
#17
Personally, I wish the people mentioned in the article would fall out of a window. I can assure you they'd feel the same way about me.

But from practical perspective, five or six sellers isn't a mass invasion of BNP agents. It's a pathetic attempt to piggyback their own perceived moral superiority on the good work that other people have done, sure (and how many of them have ever put on the uniform?).

But nobody should be using poppy sales as an opportunity for recruiting new members...if anyone attempts to do so, I would hope that people would report them to the RBL.

Besides, I derive a certain amount of satisfaction in the fact that this money will go to aid the Beharrys and Puns of the world.
 
#18
Strait_Jacket said:
It's very sad that the 11th has become a political issue at all.

The significance of Rememberance Day to society is slowly slipping imo and if it takes the BNP volunteering to shame people into getting active, so be it.

As long as any BNP'ers who get involved do so in the correct spirit, so what? I thought it was the day politics was put aside to remember a higher cause, I wouldn't really care if poppies were sold by members of the British Communist party. We can choose to reject extremists if we wish but on the 11th should be grateful we have a free society where we can make that choice.

If they start doing some politicking at the same time then fair enough, batter them.
One volunteer is worth 10 men - it's not as if they're doing the job with BNP Colours all over them?

Anyway, Rememberance is political - who lays wreaths after the Queen and Senior Royals - Head of the 3 Services or Political leaders?
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
Firstly - begged for AND got a poppy box, and am selling them.

Secondly - if they can be trusted to sell poppies AND give the money to the RBL, then why not let them.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, you have labliar councils trying to stop 11th day parades due to HSE and policing costs, left-wing unions in universities spouting off AGAINST the poppy appeal, and this gobment would rather allow local councils to fly gay pride flags than the emblem of this nation.

How does the RBL feel about the Labour Party?
 
#20
An_Englishman said:
Strait_Jacket said:
It's very sad that the 11th has become a political issue at all.

The significance of Rememberance Day to society is slowly slipping imo and if it takes the BNP volunteering to shame people into getting active, so be it.

As long as any BNP'ers who get involved do so in the correct spirit, so what? I thought it was the day politics was put aside to remember a higher cause, I wouldn't really care if poppies were sold by members of the British Communist party. We can choose to reject extremists if we wish but on the 11th should be grateful we have a free society where we can make that choice.

If they start doing some politicking at the same time then fair enough, batter them.
One volunteer is worth 10 men - it's not as if they're doing the job with BNP Colours all over them?

Anyway, Rememberance is political - who lays wreaths after the Queen and Senior Royals - Head of the 3 Services or Political leaders?
My bold. Ok, point taken there but I think you'd agree the thousands of services based around small cenotaph's across the UK will not be political events to those taking part.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top