BNP Address Withheld On Ballot

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Markintime, May 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I noticed on my ballot sheet that the BNP candidate's address had been withheld and it was just put as "in the East Riding".

I had always thought that a candidate had to disclose their address.

However, it certainly shows he doesn't even give himself a chance of getting elected!

2. Several of my candidates had "address in xxx constituency" on the ballot (no BNP candidate.)

There was a change in the law last year - s24(2)(b) of the "Political Parties and Elections Act 2009". They have to provide the address on the nomination form but can ask for it to be kept off the ballot paper.

I believe this was down to Dr Julian Lewis who claimed to be worried about his family's safety:

I would point out that part of my lack of stringent regard for my personal persec on this site (much to a certain crab's disgust) is due to the local Council publishing my home address and other contacts details when I was elected to the local Community Council. Something they have subsequently stopped doing - but the internet never forgets (at least, Google cache does not!)

3. It most certainly doesn't, it shows he is concerned about his safety.

4. and doesn't give himself a chance of being elected.

5. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

Additionally if he does get elected, he will have to disclose his constituency office address which tends to be their home address anyway, most MPs dont have a seperate office now thw expenses have been tighten a little

6. I agree with him not being elected but it's not related to him hiding his address.

Any sensible BNP candidate in my area would be a freecking moron to put his name on a ballot box paper and they would stand a good chance of being elected. (I live next to one of BNP's top 5 targets)

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

His home address doesn't define his policies, and as pointed out, his Consituency Office is published.

Can't see what the problem is.

8. In contrast to where you are, on my ballot paper the only candidate with his address printed was the BNP candidate!

9. So, even though he may be the most popular person and the people's choice he would be a moron to let his constituents know where he lives? So how do his constituents contact him and how do they even know he continues to live in their area?

The point I was making is that if you are elected then your address is published. If he thought he was going to be elected then he'd put his address down. The same goes for the Labour, Lib Dem, Tory, Monster Raving Loony et al.

How can you be a representative of the people if people don't know how to get in touch with you? By standing for Parliament he is attempting to enter Public Life. We are not governed by the anonymous in this country.

10. I think his party defines his policies. However that was not the point I was making. How can anyone stand for election to Public Office but keep their whereabouts a secret?

His constituency office is not published

11. In my area he would most certainly be subject to a racist attack. I've seen it just a few months ago, EDL had to be protected from racist attacks from people who had infiltrated the Anti Nazi league banner.

If you knew my area, you'd realise that your talking in cloud cuckoo land. Somebody wanting to do that would be considered a freak, loony left or a Tory.

12. Because the law has changed?

Anyway - is this him? I don't know whether that's his home address or his election agent's ...

13. No, it's this guy, and if you follow the 'They Work For You' link they couldn't contact him either.

This isn't to do with his party, it's to do with accountability to his local constituents. He wants people to vote for him but he wont tell them how to get in touch with him, where he lives, where he went to school or, indeed, anything about himself.

14. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Gary Pudsey, 143 St Johns Ave Bridlington YO16 4NP yoru local prospective MP/Councillor.

Further to that, if you need more information, you could always contact the North East BNP offices at Durham, Northumberland, Cleveland, Tyne and Wear, P.O. Box 1132, Newcastle Upon Tyne, NE99 4YT, Telephone: 07957 777 521, Email: northeast@bnp.org.uk

It's all over t'interweb if you only look.

As for why he wouldn't want to shout about his home address, I'm thinking that's because his home will be fire-bombed, placarded, protested outside of, he'll be spat and assaulted and have sh!t put through his letterbox.

That's how the anti-fascist league operate, so it's hardly surprising is it? The anti-fascist are pretty undemocratic in their viewpoint, and rather than allow the public to make up its own mind and promote the cause of democracy, they would rather shut down the BNP, attack their members, deny us our democratic right to vote on a legitimate party and deny them the right to appear in the media.

The biggest problem in this country is not parties like the BNP, it's the absence of a free democracy! There's not enough democratic representation or accountability, and that's the fault of the two main parties and government. That's not the fault of the BNP because they've never had power in the UK, and probably never will (but that's because the people of this country are not entirely stupid).

15. I've got a good idea where Polar is talking about and quite frankly I wouldn't hang around there for fun*. It's a breeding ground for jihadists.

unless suitably armed* ;)