BMJ dit on Malaria in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Goatman, Jun 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Got a link to a dit on the current BMJ ( but my Athens account is down)

SOURCE

Extract:

As I can't access the full dit - grateful for a qual drain sniffer view of this piece ?

Thanks,

Don Cabra - safe and sound in the sunny South

2. What part of the article are you particularly interested in?

3. I've not read the BMJ article however the summary posted above does not surprise me. On Telic 1 there was zero pre-deployment education on avoiding arthropod spread infection and I suspect many people (even within my field hospital) did not bother to take anti-malarial prophylaxis. The emphasis was all wrong anyway, i.e. an order to start taking it but no orders to help prevent getting bitten in the first place which should always be the first line of defence (e.g. long sleeves after dusk etc). Some years ago I saw two people die from malaria acquired in Afghanistan and it was not a pretty sight. One might have thought given the recent (on-going??) legal actions by members of the Parachute Regt after they acquired malaria on ops in Sierra Leone that UK Forces would be more compliant than most in preventing this infection. There again one might have thought that given the outbreak of norovirus at 34 Field Hospital in Afghanistan in 2004 that infection prevention in field hospitals on Telic 1 might have been better than the shambles it was.

4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Er...the bit that says which of the 36 nations represented in AFG are using best practice and which are not!

Bottom line: are we doing the best we can for our people ?

Not sure what the strains are out there and not qual'd to comment but would be interested to see what the article had to say ( or does it go into micropatholigical Porton style detail ? If so, might be quicker to get my Athens account sorted out!)

Cheers

Don Cabra

5. Iraq and Afghanistan are considered very low risk for Malaria, Iraq used to be high because of the marshes but thanks to Saddam, that no longer exists!

As for Afghanistan, believe me, non-existent.

Now as for Sierra Leone 8O

6. Sorry Dui-lai, according to the CDC Afghanistan is a malarial area, see map and link

http://www.cdc.gov/travel/regionalmalaria/indianrg.htm#countrylist

Attached Files:

7. A number of US cases reported here a few years ago in Afghanistan

In 2002 the World Health Organisation estimated there were three million cases of malaria in the country. In the 1970s before the war the annual figure was between 40,000 and 80,000.
    Only one percent of cases were caused by Plasmodium falciparum before the war. By 1996 this had risen to 20 percent because the parasite had developed resistance to the drug chloroquine.
    Many people live in mountain valleys and cannot be reached for months during the winter while strong Islamic beliefs make it hard to reach women.

Full Reference

So slightly more than non-existent

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks Doc Pee.

Blood donors should note.

( I imagine that it's one of those awkward buggesr to give theatre-wide advice on - 'cos if you're in somewhere oop north like Kunduz at the top of glacier then no threat but down next to the river watch your six and seasonal ?)

I'll take a look at the library copy of the article and see what's what....VMTs all.

Lee Shaver