Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what the limits are. I'm a little confused. My sargent says that Ive got to loose 8kg to get my bmi below 27. the thing is ,i dont think im that fat - just big boned. It doesnt seem fare as I am quite muscly as well. Should it matter? Is the army just full of stick insects or wouldnt it be better to have people who are really strong for lifting things etc.
    I am fit and have lots of experience in the ACF and think i would be a big asset to the army - will more than likely be an officer after a couple of years as a lesser rank.

2. When I Was doing ADSC at Lichfield they measured your height and weight and if you were "overweight" according to the BMI chart then they measured your waist. If your waist is under 94cm I think they would just check your PSSR(r) results in morning. For example your upper body strength tests and 1.5 mile run time. Hope This helps.

3. I don't understand why the Army use the BMI? It's ok to use a general guide, but it's innacurate. Eg. My old Tiff was 6ft 2" tall, completed the all arms course etc, and is one of the fittest guys that I know, but according to his height/weight he was clinically obese. He had no fat on him either.

The Army would be better off using the sensors that tell you your body fat percentage.

4. BMI is there as a risk reduction measure. Basic training puts the body under a lot of strain. If your BMI is over the limit then statistically you are at a higher risk of injury or worse than someone below the limit. I had a similar problem being 2 kgs over the limit. Best advice is loose the weight. You will be better prepared for training, and you'll reduce your risk of being back-termed for injury. If it's something that you really have your heart set on doing, then what's 8 kilos. You will get on a heck of a lot better for loosing it!

Good Luck fella!

TY

5. This is WAH, even if the subject matter is worthy of debate ignor this cnut his 1st post how he could do the 1.5miler in 6.30

''Im going threw the process now. My Sargent reckons you get 12.30 or less except for Paras who get 9.18.
    Im doing mine in 6.30 mins at the moment but am not interested in the Paras - who wants to be cannon fodder!''

6. 6mins 30 for a bft? That's inpressive, and possibly the world record for the fastest mile as well!

I knew a lad in basic who could run like the wind and did it in 7mins 11sec, exactly a minute faster than my best ever time :(

7. I can do it in 6.30 or there abouts. What does WAH stand for. i think you are being a bit rude and should withdraw that post. My question is real

8. realdeal Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:10 pm Post subject: BMI
    Can anyone tell me what the limits are. I'm a little confused. My sargent says that Ive got to loose 8kg to get my bmi below 27. the thing is ,i dont think im that fat - just big boned. It doesnt seem fare as I am quite muscly as well. Should it matter? Is the army just full of stick insects or wouldnt it be better to have people who are really strong for lifting things etc.
    I am fit and have lots of experience in the ACF and think i would be a big asset to the army - will more than likely be an officer after a couple of years as a lesser rank.

WAH! must try harder.

9. Maybe 6.30 was a mistype, if he needs to loose weight maybe the time is 16.30 (which is still a week quicker than girls need to do it in)

is this you realdeal?

[​IMG]

10. check you out,
    A big asset & will more likely be an officer after a couple of years as a lesser rank
    who the fcuk do you think you are, believe me mate IF you get it youll be a number nothing more nothing less

11. Just add 5 minutes 'or there abouts' I think.

Don't bullshit realdeal, you will get caught out at selection.

12. Real deal, under 30 is the standard according to ADSC medical, (i was there last week), i know exactly what your'e going through, I was told at christmas that i was too heavy and needed to be 88kg or less, Unfortunately, at the time i was about 16st 3lb or 103kg in new money. I've dropped 15kilo (2 1/2stone)

13. Maybe he meant to type 'a big ass'? Americanisms are creeping in all over these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.