Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by RoyalEngineers, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 6 ft. 4 and 3/4
    13.6 stone
    16 years old

My BMI is 21.1% - Overfat! Can this stop me getting in, and what should I do?

It's muscle by the way.
  2. Thats a normal BMI. Over 25 is overweight, if you follow the BMI theory.
  3. you have to be seriously chunky, and if its muscle i think theres more understanding.
  4. Oh right I knew I had nothing to worry about lol i'm just like a few percent above healthy. I'd call myself toned :D
  5. BMI of 21ish is healthy no probs there at all. Between 20 and 25 is normal I believe. I think you have to be over 30 before the army tell you "**** off fatty".

6. I'm 5' 11" and 14 stone due to lots of weights through university. I'll probably be down to 13.5 st by January but there wasn't a problem when I did the AOSB.
  7. I'm not going for the bulk up approach ;) More of the "I hope this helps me do more than 2 full pull ups" :p
  8. Many of the England RU team IF you follow the BMI are over weight, are they unfit?
  9. Point taken but I think if you are posting on arsse saying "my BMI is like, 64 wil I be like, not allowed to do selection or wot? (ps itz mostly mussel honest!)" then you are probably not at the same level of fitness as the England Rugby Team.

10. Personally I don't care what my BMI is, as it has been proven that it is ONLY a guide and there are better ways to prove weight and fitness to do a certian job, both under pressure and in the long term.
    The Mod (RE) brought a test in in 73 when I was with 5 Fld before an Ireland tour, it was gym based and checked both your recovery rate, which is one of the bst guides and your agility / strenght, it seem to work very well.