BMI - what a load of crap!!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ADking, Sep 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is BMI a set test / entry requirement now? I wasnt aware of this until my recruiter took my BMI a few days back, and told me i need to lose weight!
    Baring in mind ive been weight training for 2 years, and can do the PFT in 9.10 , as a 5'9 17 year old weighing in at 97 kg's. I heard the limit was 32 on the BMI, which is roughly where
    I am at, however my recruiter said I need to get down to 28, which is going to prove nye on impossible as I am essentially muscle with little fat on my body.
    I find it absolute madness to be honest, the army could be turning down some top class recruits, as they are slightly over on the BMI yet fit as a fiddle and stong as an ox!

Rant over....
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I seem to recall that they took the bmi of the England rugby squad after they won the world cup, and surprise surprise they all failed the standard for army recruits
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

As I recall the only member of the squad that wouldn't have been classed as morbidly obese was Wilko (I believe his BMI was a fraction under 30). They are clearly setting a disgraceful example to the youth of today. Who volunteers to tell them they are a bunch of fat bastards and need to loose weight???
    • Like Like x 1
  4. This has been done to death on ARRSE and has said months and months ago its never been a BMI of 32............its always been under 28 with possible exceptions if the SMO/Medical staff believe its muscle rather than fat by use of a caliper test to check body fat. If you do your research on here and listen to your Recruiter you wouldnt waste everyones time by starting threads...............just hope Disco is in a good mood today as he hates the BMI threads and might send you to the naughty corner....................I know you dont believe Recruiters when they give you the advice they do but they do know what they are speaking about and if you dont meet the requirements will be told so.
  5. We had a PTI who was a bit of a fitness fanatic... he came back on the BMI test as 'morbidly obese'. Not a ounce of fat on him.
  6. Yep. It's gay. I got my optimum bmi comming back from a tour half starved. I'm a 6'3" (ex) second row build. I normally hang around the 100 kg mark. Post tour and a really good bought of D+V I was down to 82 Kg and looked like I had cancer.
    Optimum bmi though!
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.