BMI etc

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by crosbunny, Jan 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AFter the xmas period have put on a bit of weight now weighing 17 stone, I posted on here a week ago about doing the CFT and doing it within set time we did the 6 mile CFT, was told that shouldn't have done this without first doing the medical..oops. my question is my BMI is 32 so will this affect my entrance.. if I mention the CFT would that help.. I'm running everyday and exercising like mad so hopefully won't have any issues but need a little reassurance

cheers and thanks for putting up with the ramblings

2. I will leave the definative answer to someone who knows better, however I read last year (ish) that the Army was rasing the BMI cut off limits, as you can get a big (physicaly) fit rugby player with a huge BMI, only heavy, due to muscles.

However I also think another reason why they are doing this, is becuase due to the playstation generation that are being rasised now, there will be very few potential recruits with a 'normal' BMI. But I think if your a fat pie eating waster the rules still apply (not that I am accusing you of being a fat boy).....

3. Lance.. don't worry won't take offence, yes I'm overweight but training hard and hope to drop a stone or two.. just a bit worried they may refuse me just because of my weight

cheers and hopefully someone will come along with a more def answer

4. When I did the AOSB if I call recall correctly my BMI was recorded as 26. I asked the nurse about this as I had heard that 25+ was considered the top end of the scale. She said that the BMI was no longer important as it isnt a generally a fair assessment i.e; it doesnt take into consideration body fat/muscle percentage. She said this was the same reason they binned 'heaves' as a physical assessment, as meat-heads were scoring badly due to their large body mass....