BMI At start of phase 1

TRipp

Crow
I start my basic training in soon and I have a query about the medical. Will I be sent home if my BMI is under 18?

At the medical at the assessment centre, my BMI was 17.7 but after two bottles of water (doctors suggestion on the day) it was 17.9. The head doctor then deemed me medically fit. Hooray!

2 months since, eating shit loads and training loads my BMI sits at 17.8/9. When I have my medical and it’s at this number then would I be sent home?

I know someone who had a trainee like this when he was a Ph1 DS. You are doing the right thing eating as much as possible and training loads. Unless you are about 6 foot 9, keep packing the scoff away and doing phys, particularly weights. You'll be fine.

TRipp

Crow
Thank you. Just been worried that i’m going to be within 0.5 off the mark and get sent home after being so close. I’d read on the medical sheets anyway that BMI alone cannot change the “P” value of PULHEEMS, considering I got P2 at the medical which is fit for any service.

I start my basic training in soon and I have a query about the medical. Will I be sent home if my BMI is under 18?

At the medical at the assessment centre, my BMI was 17.7 but after two bottles of water (doctors suggestion on the day) it was 17.9. The head doctor then deemed me medically fit. Hooray!

2 months since, eating shit loads and training loads my BMI sits at 17.8/9. When I have my medical and it’s at this number then would I be sent home?
There's your answer, if you don't get to your required target weight.

On a separate note, keep smashing as much scoff as you can. You want to have a bit of muscle and fat to spare, otherwise initial training will be extremely tough, especially field exercises.

Don't know if they still do it, but back in the late eighties (probably before you were born :eek:), underweight recruits were encouraged to eat as much as they could (including Mars bars, etc).
They will do what they can to get you through Phase 1. Good luck.

Latest Threads