Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, first post here.

I'm looking to join and the advice above is thorough and very detailed. Much appreciated cheers!

I fuflill everything required but I am wondering if my weight might be an issue? Is there an upper limit on weight or do I have to be fit, weight regardless?

2. Works on a BMI rating system, I believe if your BMI is over 25 you're deferred.

3. Totally wrong and not sure why your scribbling on here...hopefully disco moves it but BMI between 17 to 27 for JE (No exceptions) and 17 to 28 for Adults with an exception if waist is below 94 cm

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sorry! Merely repeating what I was told at ADSC! I have a BMI of 24.9. I'm 6ft 2 and weigh 220 lbs and was advise to stop weight training, because they defer 25's.

5. You heard wrong, if 25 was the BMI limit we wouldnt get anyone in the army.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

the old way was the fancy height, weight, waist one which worked fine. the yank mil system is better for working out true bmi as it takes more measurements and assumes muscle mass

7. ISTRC the US Mil system was massively discredited and was suspected of being used to reduce manpower in between wars. Such as neck measurements went down whilst no other measurement was reduced, resulting in perfectly fit soldiers being discharged as medically unfit prior to GW2.

Some of them were recalled for the invasion of Iraq in 2003 when the neck measurement was increased again. Unsurprisingly a few told the the suck to go and **** themselves and stop messing their lives up!

8. OK that puts me at ease! Thanks!

9. What is the exception for the below 94cm waist?

10. Farking hell, as a young(er) whippersnapper I was described as 'dangerously underweight' by the MO during my ADSC, but it has never done me any harm.

Weight barely seems to come into it, in the end. I always tune out when I hear PTI's bang on about smaller 'racing snakes' being shit with a bergen on their backs. At the end of the day, if you can find the motivation to put one foot in front of the other and keep moving regardless then you'll be alright.

Don't know anything about the concrete rules though, so this was a wasted post!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Look in the mirror and be honest with yourself.

If you have boy boobs and it all jiggles...well you're fat, not "muscular" or possessed of a "rugby players build" or any of the other euphemisms we constantly see being put about by the closet pie abusers who get deferred.

12. If your adult entry over 28 BMI and have a athletic physique...ie play a lot of rugby etc and have a waist under 94cm then the SMO may pass you....this does not happen for JE though as even if you were 27.1 BMI and under 94cm waist you would still not pass.

13. Dear ARRSEletes.. I would appreciate some informed opinion as to where to go from here..

I have been running / walking / running a 6km course for 1 and a half years now once or twice a week, and during the first 5 to 6 months improved my time rapidly, and now am not laying down for half an hour on completion semi comatose !!

however I have a "ceiling " of 44 to 41 minutes... which I cannot better despite a years efforts. you can almost set your watch by this time, it never varies.. weather, mood, what ive eaten all dont matter. Also, Ive gone from 18 stone 3 to 19 stone 4.. so despite being no fatter mirror wise Ive put weight on. Ive worked out my BMI and Im 33.7. ... Im not joining the army.!!

any suggestions apart from padlock the fridge ?

14. Dear ARRSEletes.. I would appreciate some informed opinion as to where to go from here..

I have been running / walking / running a 6km course for 1 and a half years now once or twice a week, and during the first 5 to 6 months improved my time rapidly, and now am not laying down for half an hour on completion semi comatose !!

however I have a "ceiling " of 44 to 41 minutes... which I cannot better despite a years efforts. you can almost set your watch by this time, it never varies.. weather, mood, what ive eaten all dont matter. Also, Ive gone from 18 stone 3 to 19 stone 4.. so despite being no fatter mirror wise Ive put weight on. Ive worked out my BMI and Im 33.7. ... Im not joining the army.!!

any suggestions apart from padlock the fridge ?

15. You've gained muscle due to your running.

As for improving your time trying having a browse of the Runners World website there are some good training programs on there.