BMH Berlin - Can I apply for a German passport?

My father was in the army and I was born in Berlin, in the 70's. I was brought back to the UK when I was a few months old and have a British passport. Do you know if I am eligible to apply for a German passport?

WALT

LE
My father was in the army and I was born in Berlin, in the 70's. I was brought back to the UK when I was a few months old and have a British passport. Do you know if I am eligible to apply for a German passport?

I doubt it very much, but bear in mind that the Germans don't normally do dual nationality. You would be expected to give up your other nationality. Unless you're Turkish, for some odd reason.

I doubt it very much, but bear in mind that the Germans don't normally do dual nationality. You would be expected to give up your other nationality. Unless you're Turkish, for some odd reason.
I thought as much. I was thinking it would be useful to have an eu passport depending on where I wanted to travel.

Big Jim

Clanker
you get another pass now with picture on it still giving you all the rights you had before as an EU citizen.
German pass i said F@ck off. I was told up until pre brexit you could hold two passports but not now.
so you can still live here with another pass issued to you which is not compulsary as i was told myself. It costs 37 euros.

you get another pass now with picture on it still giving you all the rights you had before as an EU citizen.
German pass i said F@ck off. I was told up until pre brexit you could hold two passports but not now.
so you can still live here with another pass issued to you which is not compulsary as i was told myself. It costs 37 euros.
You made must of that up, didn't you? As in other EU countries (not France as they had a special deal with England - maybe UK but not sure) you had a residency card. No picture, not biometric. You can change it for an official ID card with biometric features and picture which you can use for travel round the EU if you are a resident in a EU country. It is not compulsory to exchange the old registration card.
You must be getting ripped off. In Spain the tax is 12 euro for the card which is valid 5 or 10 years and free renewals.

And regarding a German passport for Brits born in BMH. We had this discussion a while back and the answer was a resounding no.

Last edited:

Mover

Old-Salt
The short answer, no, you don't qualify. Why, because the NATO Status of Forces agreement between the UK and Germany extant at the time of your birth says so. You inherit the nationality of your mother/father at the time of your birth.

WALT

LE
I was told up until pre brexit you could hold two passports but not now.

Hate to annoy you, but anyone who applied before Brexit can have two passports. I have, but the offer closed after Brexit.
It's still possible for citizens of other EU nations, (something to do with encouraging EU togetherness), but a bit pointless, unless your birth country decides to bugger off all of a sudden.
However, you have to be a resident here for at least 5 years and pass a couple of tests.
It's something I like to mention to my fellow Hermans:- "It's easy for you to be German , you only had to be born here. I had to pass an exam."

No!

Lots of things about status of forces agreement, etc.

In the eyes of the law, being a member of British Forces, your dad was considered to be Ordinarily Resident in the UK. To keep it simple that means he paid UK tax, National Insurance and was subject to the laws of the UK even whilst serving in Germany, or anywhere else for that matter. Your mum was considered to be a Dependant, that is to say she was only there due to the fact that your dad was there, and she was also considered to be ordinarily resident in the UK.

So, nice idea, but not a hope.

What country will a Boxhead passport get you into that a UK one wont?
After you've done 90 days (in 180) any one in the Schengen area without a visa.

There are also, apparently, places where a UK passport is about as welcome as a US passport. A boxhead passport may result in a long time chained to a radiator pending payment, but maybe not as rapid a machete decapitation as having some other passports.

Big Jim

Clanker
anyone who applied before Brexit can have two passports.
that´s what i said pre brexit

a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “before” (preclude; prevent); applied freely as a prefix, with the meanings “prior to,” “in advance of,” “early,” “beforehand,” “before,” “in front of,” and with other figurative meanings (preschool; prewar; prepay; preoral; prefrontal).

you Dummy

Big Jim

Clanker
Nope to the German passport.

If you want one of those you'll have to do the (very easy) tests and apply after fulfilling residency.
I know son i have been in Germany since ´85. read my post again. I know people who did it & i tried it online & passed it. never mind... now piss off

WALT

LE
that´s what i said pre brexit

a prefix occurring originally in loanwords from Latin, where it meant “before” (preclude; prevent); applied freely as a prefix, with the meanings “prior to,” “in advance of,” “early,” “beforehand,” “before,” “in front of,” and with other figurative meanings (preschool; prewar; prepay; preoral; prefrontal).

you Dummy

And my point was that anyone who applied pre-brexit can still hold two passports. You stated that after brexit it was no longer possible to hold two passports.

"pre brexit you could hold two passports but not now."

Right, now please play nicely. I've already employed bold font. Don't make me escalate to coloured font or even "fella."

Latest Threads