Bluetooth connection

My Samsung S10 won't connect via Bluetooth to my Toyota Hilux (17 plate). Whenever the vehicle attempts connection, my phone switches the Bluetooth off, in spite of listing the truck as being paired, and vice versa. Any ideas, thanks in advance.

My Samsung S10 won't connect via Bluetooth to my Toyota Hilux (17 plate). Whenever the vehicle attempts connection, my phone switches the Bluetooth off, in spite of listing the truck as being paired, and vice versa. Any ideas, thanks in advance.
First thing I would do is see if there is an update for the phone's operating system - and then look to see if there is one for the Toyota as well. Then update the vehicle (you'll probably be able to download this from the Toyota website - then put it on a USB stick to transfer it. USB port will be somewhere in the front)

I had a similar problem in my Alfa Romeo - updating the car's software sorted it.

Last edited:
Works Transit had this problem, the only solution was to disconnect power to the sound system. Then re-connect a hard re-boot in effect.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
how is the phone with other bluetooth items? how is the car with other phones?

RedDinger

War Hero
Try telling your phone to forget your car and then reconnect. That sometimes works.

Works Transit had this problem, the only solution was to disconnect power to the sound system. Then re-connect a hard re-boot in effect.

I had to do this with 0A's 2019 Focus. My parents have a MK7.5 Fiesta, which needed a software update when my Dad changed his phone. Just downloaded an update from the Ford Website, transferred to USB and installed on the car. Dead easy.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Is the phone on Toyota's compatibility list? Including the OS version you're running?

Is the phone on Toyota's compatibility list? Including the OS version you're running?
I can't believe it isn't, surely Bluetooth is the same whatever device it is on ? I'll try the USB update route.
Amazing how much things have moved on since 2012, the last time I bought a vehicle.

Thank you all for your help.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
The phone is fine with other Bluetooth items, and my wife's iPhone connected fine.
Unfortunately that's something I hear at work a lot - Bluetooth stacks are a bit like electronic jenga, it doesn't take much effort to make them fall over if they're not built exactly right.

Have a look here as a starting point

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I can't believe it isn't, surely Bluetooth is the same whatever device it is on ? I'll try the USB update route.
Amazing how much things have moved on since 2012, the last time I bought a vehicle.

Thank you all for your help.
There's a lot of variables, chipset and base OS being the two most important ones, it's a nightmare TBH, Ford updates can take several hours, sometimes overnight, Merc usually take >2 hours, some, like the later JLR stuff can be done OTA. The problem is that the infotainment systems are now the most complex part of the vehicle.

Latest Threads