Blue Screen Warning in XP - help wanted.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Stonker, Sep 22, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My boys have inherited an old XP PC from their Grandad. It has behaved perfectly well in his care (apart from having 5 printers worth of software loaded on its li'l Hard Disk), but - since I installed a Sitecom WL-113 wireless USB dongle, it has become prone to crashes with blue screen error warnings.

This seems usually to happen when clicking to open or move between web pages that use Flash images, but is not consistent.

The blue screen error message tells me

which according to my dodgy understanding of the various forum threads that phrase pulls into Google, seems to favour my diagnosis that 'it's the dongle drivers'.

Before i go to the expense of replacing it, can anyone tell me if there is any realistic prospect of a layperson like me successfully changing the IRQL associated with the dongle, and if so, how?
  2. This is a generic 'I'm buggered if I know what's wrong but I don't feel like working' IRQ error that XP spits out later on in a machine's life.

Now I might be wrong here, but my experiences have shown that it's almost always related to power supply in some way. Do you have lots of whizzy CD/DVD drives, hard drives, graphics cards that you've slotted into the machine? It's perfectly possible that the original PSU (Power Supply Unit) that the machine was boxed with is simply incapable of shifting sufficient regular power through the USB drive to the device, and when that happens the machine goes 'doink'.

You don't want to go trying to manually re-assign IRQ settings these days, that's generally a recipe for disaster.

That said, it could be any number of things, you could try to flash/upgrade the BIOS or upgrade the motherboard drivers, or the USB device motherboard side drivers, or the drivers for the USB device itself and those could also fix the issue.

However, from experience it's normally power related as I indicated earlier.
  3. Try pressing the power button, really hard, with a sledge hammer.

Then buy a computer that doesn't use Microsoft, or install Linux on the new one.
    Worked for me!
  4. Don't be a nerd. Fecking linux indeed. *shudder*.
  5. Dont they call it "the blue screen of death" in other words its fcuked
  6. :-(

Nope - none of the above: just the USB dongle.

I rather anticipated that was the case :-(

Well, ta for that, at any rate.
  7. I had that come up on my old laptop and the bloke who came round and eventually fixed it said that it is the code for a fucked wireless adaptor, he downloaded a new driver for mine and hey presto.....fixed!
  8. Is XP fully up to date? I'd start with that and then install the latest dongle drivers (after unistalling the originals). Given the age of the drive I'd also defrag the HDD to help things along.
  9. I'm old and geeky enough to remember manually configuring IRQs.

IRQs are Interupt ReQuests. It is a way for devices to say to the CPU [interrupt] "I'm here, take notice of me".

Only so many IRQs are allowed for any type of CPU. There are workarounds, but frankly, to do it manually you'd need a head like the Mekon.

I'd try to exhaust the automatic fixes, and if unsuccessful take it to a geek on a 'no win, no fee' basis.

Good luck!
  10. Tried that - the Sitecom driver for this particular dongle does not appear ever to have been successfully updated (as in I have tried, but none of the more recent versions actually make the dongle work at all) :-(
  11. Did all of that, also updated the graphics card drivers and 'downgraded' the anti-virus from a (pirate) AVG fully-paid to AVG free (two of the more likely sources of conflict) . . . . no change. :-(

I might try weaning the kids onto Chrome or Opera, just to see if a minimalist browser might tip the balance . . . . see, you never quite run out of options when you get into playing 'Acts of Desperation' ;-D
  12. Cheers. :-D
  13. msr

msr LE

Ditch AVG and replace with

Do you know anyone with a dongle which you could borrow to see if that is the problem?
  14. 1. Re AVG - is that 'cos it may fix it, or 'cos you think Avast is simply better?
    2. No - I don't. My D-Link dongle has never liked XP, and my oldest boy managed to fry the one he used to use :roll:
  15. AVG is crap for older pcs as it takes over. On my older pcs 1x512mb and 1x1Gb it generally ate 50% of the cpu runnng in the background and 100% when running a scan.

Running like a dream with avast.
    Avg used to cause havoc on my laptop when I used my dongle.