Blue Peter High Speed Target Tower- Derby Winners Class

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Kedem, Jun 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have just purchased this boat which was used by the Army as a high speed target tower in the early forties.

She is in a rather sorry state at the moment and I would like to get her all shipshape in time for her 70th Birthday (next year).

I'm after any early history about the Blue Peter and any plans of original layout internally and as many images as possible please.

Many thanks in advance:)

2. You didn't post a picture ... sure it wasn't part of the RAF fleet?

See also HERE

Target Towing Launch 2747
    • Like Like x 1
  3. [​IMG]

I'm lead to believe she was army. Built 1941.
  4. It doesn't look that bad ;)
    The RAF ran a fleet of fast rescue/target towing boats, it might be worth checking out E-goat.
  5. Unfortunately that photo is about 10 years old:( She has been left empty for the last 5 years.

Will check out egoat. Thanks for the info:)
  6. Check out sunday times magazine for the last couple of months they ran an article about fast patrol boats and a chap rescuing one. Apparently they are still one of the fastest boats still on the water today.
  7. That's a lovely looking craft as it is. Looking forward to seeing the restoration.
  8. If you want to turn it into a MTB and need a Torpedo Officer, give me a shout!!!
  9. I'm still looking for any images and info about Blue Peter a High Speed Target Tower - Derby Winners Class built by Groves and Gutteridge in 1941.

The only info I have found out is that she was in Antwerp in 1944. I would like absolutely any information about her from the moment she was built (1941) until 2000. Where she was? What she was doing?

She was an Army boat. I have read everything on BMPT site and the history of Hyperion but would love to find out about Blue Peter specifically.

I would also like to find out if she had a number assigned to her and what that maybe.

My progress of her restoration can been found at Derby Winners Class |

If anyone has ANY info or suggestions on where I can find the info myself then please get intouch.

Many thanks in advance.

10. Hi Ben,
    Very excited to have found this group and page.
    I have built a model RAF rescue launch and used the number 2747, without having researched it at all.
    I would dearly love to find out more about her and hope you can find time to reply.
    So many colleagues have built models and know so much about them, this would really be the icing on the cake for me.
  11. I don't wish to shatter any dreams, but Ben, the original poster, was last logged in to this site on Aug 13 - 2010!

Good luck; he might have a new username!
  12. seems to be up for sale for 35K
    did army launches have such a fussy interior with veneers etc ?
    I thought wartime production would be very plain