Blowing your chamber to bits. Wrong Ammo.

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by BuggerAll, Mar 31, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

This picture just appeared on my Facebook page. The perils of using the wrong size ammo.

15859_181450647732_97292677732_2810815_2241535_n.jpg

2. Can you enlighten as to what we are looking at in terms of correct and actual ammo for that application?

Just curious.

And let that be a warning to all you kids who dont wear shooting glasses!

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

No I can't there were no details. It was on Revision Eyewear's page and they made the comment about wearing glasses when shooting.

4. Revolver with a very, very hot handload in a magnum case? Looks as though the explosion in the top chamber has blown into both of the adjacent chambers and set off those rounds too. Must have been quite a bang.

5. Im not sure "quite a bang" is really an adequate description for the brown trouser moment that that had to have been.

6. only ever seen that happen in a 1860 Army Colt when all six went at once, but there was a blown chamber S&W on the wall in the old Cardiff Shooting Centre just to act as a reminder to wear your glasses, I bet his hand hurt

7. I've seen the results of US Army tests from the 1950's showing a 7.62 NATO in a .30 M1.
    No explosion, casing fireforms so that it looks more like a .45-70 casing and the bullet hits 3ft low at 200 yds.

8. This photo has been doing the rounds in internet wahs for about two years, with a variety of stories attached to it (Chinese ammo, faulty cylinder, etc). The consensus is that the firer has double-charged his handloads, and probably with completely the wrong powder as well....

9. Well it will do as an interest picture for my next equipt care brief!

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I recall RO ing at Winnans when someone speed firing had a hang fire go of in his Charter arms 44 Special Bulldog. Picked lumps of cylinder out of my chin and neck but no damage. the pratt cacked himself. Poorly stored hand loads meant the primer slowfired and blew the revolver to pieces!

11. I don't know what it is about me, but I have seen 3 breech explosions and I'm always the shooter standing right next to them on the firing point.

#1 Some .357 magnum +P ammo in a Smith K frame with a tight Douglas barrel. Not a good combination. Looked very like the picture above.

#2 Colt 1911 - A 255gr bullet meant for a 0.45 Colt revolver and too much Herco. Ouch!

#3 A 0.38 Marlin gallery rifle. One round with no powder and kept going. A big chunk of chamber only just missed me.

I now spend a fair amount of time trying to work out the dodgy shooters before I stand next to them. And I have the best safety glasses I can get my hands on.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I just try and stay away from ranges, its safer!

13. My Sister in Law bought some cheap "Black Widow" .38 Sp ammo and managed to get a bullet stuck in the barrel of her Ruger 357 security six 6" she didn't realize and fired a second round which only just left the case and jammed the cylinder,both rounds only had primers, as did quite a lot of the others in the box, but thank f@ck it didn't blow up but took some time to drift the rounds out of the barrel . we ran a gauge throughit and it was OK

14. What are the best glasses? And arn't they only protective against flash.

15. Bloody hell. I didn't know firearms were so dangerous.