ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Bloody Sunday Prosecutions to follow !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archibald, Oct 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Try a search of '99.99%' on just this thread.

2. Correct. No, I didn't accept that it could be for any of those reasons based on the evidence available. Neither did the Saville enquiry, who looked into this rather more thoroughly than any of us.

In hindsight maybe I should have stuck to Soldier 027's description of some who fired as "loonies" rather than paraphrasing what he described seeing as a member of Sp Coy 1 Para:

"I had the distinct impression that this was a case of some soldiers realising this was an opportunity to fire their weapons and they didn't want to miss the chance ...
    I have always been satisfied in my mind that LCpl F and Soldier G probably shot 8 or 10 people that day ...
    I thought it was their aggressive, positive actions which incited a few other loonies to join in. Unspeakable acts took place on Bloody Sunday. There was no justification for a single shot I saw fired."

Reading that statement I'd say that my description is more than reasonable.

(edited to correct typos)

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  3. We need to put possible excesses by limited numbers of soldiers on Bloody Sunday into a separate category. What we need to know is who and where are the 200 soldiers alleged by you to have been convicted of terrorist offences.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  4. You are not 'we'. I have answered this twice already. This is hardly news to most people, even if it is to you.

5. You've had them already!

6. No you didn't. You are telling fibs and bluffing your way. But if I am wrong then humour us. Links and full details please.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  7. All, bar possibly one or two, but that doesn't make those in the UDR any less "serving soldiers" than anyone else who served in the province, as I am sure you are well aware.

8. We still need details facts and figures. A lot of UDR discharged but not prosecuted but you are by innuendo traducing the bravery and sense of duty of the regular army. It is absolutely despicable.

• Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  9. So you don't really know. You made it up. Again.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Unless these posts are a figment of my imagination, yes I very clearly did. Twice:

That followed this:

You (and others) have obviously not attempted to do a search as detailed, otherwise you would have found that there are a number of references to 197 soldiers from the UDR being convicted of terrorist offences (or do a search based on that).

Read the De Silva report of the Patrick Finucaine review.

Read Cassel's articles in CAIN.

Read Lethal Allies: British Collusion in NI.

Read Getting the Message by John Eldridge.

Read RJ Weitzer on Communal Conflict and Internal Security.

http://redirecoo.com/236-zewyt.pdf
    (Terrorism in Northern Ireland)

Operation Banner

January | 2016 | Belfast Child | Page 8

cain.ulst.ac.uk/publicrecords/1973/subversion-in-the-udr.hem

I can't promise the links will all work, but 'Google is your friend' with a search in this case. It really isn't news to anyone who served in the province, or at least it shouldn't be.
    Edit: three links now work, all of which detail 197 UDR convicted for terrorist offences, and anyone who's used CAIN will know how to access the relevant article.

Have you served in NI or ever been in the Army?

Do you know anything at all about the UDR?

I made a simple statement of fact to show that the GFA applies to military as well as civilians, as NI terrorists include not only civilians but military. It's a fact, which I've never heard anyone in the UDR deny - it would be absurd for them to do so, or to deny that some had divided loyalties, particularly in the early stages.

It's not maligning the Army or the UDR, who had far more than their 'fair share' of soldiers killed in the troubles compared to the rest of the Army (197, by coincidence). It's simply demonstrating that soldiers weren't somehow excluded from the GFA, as some people seem to imagine.

..... and please stop referring to what "we" want. However low my opinion of some posters here may be I sincerely doubt if they want to be represented by you.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  11. The Nemesis Files won't write themselves.

12. You'll be quoting Bugsy next.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Hopefully you've found some by now.

I'm not quite sure of your maths, since your figure of 13% would require that those convicted only committed / were convicted of one murder each.

Hardly important, though, as you seem to be suggesting that the number convicted for killing soldiers was below the norm which, with over 3,000 unsolved murders during the troubles, it wasn't.

If that wasn't your point, what was?

And why would the conviction rate have anything to do with 'PIRA negotiators'? That's purely down to the PSNI's ability to find evidence. Are you suggesting that this was somehow negotiated away?

Seriously?

14. Probes into IRA assets ‘were blocked for peace process’ - Belfast Newsletter

That article seems to suggest that the PSNI wasn't allowed to go after the Provo's for organised crime, only Loyalists were targeted.

God knows what the price of peace was.

15. Your life and ours would be a lot easier if you learnt how to copy n paste a link.

Secondly your assertion of 200 or so "serving soldiers" etc is demonstrably misleading. You now say they were in the UDR. At a technical level they may qualify as soldiers but to describe them in such an ambiguous way in a forum such as this is deliberate obsfucation as to the truth. As to numbers they are often bundled with "other offences" which covers a multitude of circumstances.

Finally for the avoidance of doubt the GFA certainly does not apply to the regular army on duty in NI which is the issue in this thread.