Bloody Sunday Prosecutions to follow !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archibald, Oct 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. MoleBath

MoleBath LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. Millitary Masons

If tried in England if any of us finish up on a jury we know what to do

2. You evidently don't know that some 200 serving soldiers were convicted of terrorist offences during the Troubles.

That's understandable.

Posting this only 13 minutes after I've explained how to find confirmation of this is rather less so.

3. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

It doesn't matter, read my post. They could have picked any date they liked. So keen were both sides for a face saving deal.
    Whether it was incompetence or exhaustion on the British side which let it slide I have no idea. My feeling is the shinners chanced their arm and the Brits, delighted they weren't going to have to defend an amnesty on everything since 1969 jumped at it. Missing as always local significance.

For perfidious paddy. I'll point you towards the 'ballymurphy massacre'.
    When that started it was, 'all we want is the truth'.
    This has unsurprisingly expanded to enquiries, money and heads on plates.

4. More accurately, repeatedly:

99.99% of what soldiers do = good

everything terrorists do = bad

5. My military service, including most major details, is an open book.

Yours rather less so.

Neither is really of much relevance to this thread, except its usually dragged up when other arguments fail.

6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Really :???:. Pity your posts don't seem to reflect that!

7. skid2

skid2 LE Book Reviewer

Bandying figures eh. What was the source?
    Almost 700 soldiers killed on op banner. 93 people were convicted of murder, another 8 done on lesser charges.
    That means a 13% conviction rate and 87% got away free if I was a a PIRA negotiator I'd be happy with that.

8. I never knew those figures. Astonishing really.

9. "FOR FUN" you said, don't try back-tracking. You did not accept that it could be by accident, not just negligent, not because they might be terrified, not because they got carried away in what seemed like a fire-fight, not because they misunderstood their orders, not because they thought their mates were being shot at or attacked - YOU said they did it for fun.

Did any of the enquiries say they did it for fun?

No, you from your arm-chair, armed with unlimited access to the internet and perfect 20/20 hindsight have decided they did it for fun.

• Like Like x 5
  10. New Year's Resolution 2016 - give all people the benefit of the doubt even the stupid and annoying ones.

Another resolution gone by early February - John G back on ignore

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. How many of those were UVF/UDA volunteers who used the UDR for weaponry or training or committed murders etc whilst belonging to the UDR?

12. Well we are still waiting for confirmation/links/narrative detail from JohnG.

13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

And you will get them in time: only they will not really deal with the discussion, be red herrings, or related to spurious arguments!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Prove it. Link.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The vast majority, to the UDR's eternal shame however most were in the earlier days and the picture improved dramatically. To put it into perspective though it averages at below 7 per year from a deployed force of anywhere as high as 27,000.

Of course, the apologists for terrorists will claim the number of convictions was only the tip of the iceberg, an indication of a greater problem, proof of bias etc etc instead of a clear indication that the Sy Forces were determined to be a force for good.