ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Bloody Sunday Prosecutions to follow !

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Archibald, Oct 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well it suits the Mail's purposes down to the ground to rev this up but I wouldn't be expecting charges and an actual trial any time soon.

It's also clear the paper has decided their best interest lies in taking the anti-para line, using the word murdered in the picture caption.

• Like Like x 1
  2. As this has been lifted from the Times which has better contacts than the wail I would give it some credence, however the final outcome is another matter. I cant see any prosecutions being pursued.

3. According to various media, this is about the planned interview of a number of individuals under caution, having been arrested as part of that procedure. The MOD is reportedly engaging lawyers to advise and assist those individuals, quite rightly so.

The evidence given by individuals to the Saville inquiry cannot be used against them.

A detail: The first of the Mail's illustrations is captioned "An armed soldier attacks a protestor on Bloody Sunday", but is in fact the well-known photograph of a protester being vigorously propelled into detention.

• Like Like x 3
  4. BBC News - Call for independent panel to review Ballymurphy killings

Meanwhile this deja vu cause for justice and truth is waiting in the wings.

And of course the Colonel cannot be blamed for his confidence that such an event would not recur (or be provoked into recurrence)

We started off in 1962 with intelligence about a terrorist group who planned class warfare. The "civil rights movement" began to attack that plan by defining conflict more along sectarian lines. Then came Ballymurphy and Bloody Sunday followed by OIRA ceasefire. The architects of the more dangerous plan had apparently quit the field to leave sectarian conflict in Ireland and England targets as the PIRA carnage fields.

So who gained from the tragedies ?

And now to play the justice game it is poor old Tommy Atkins who stands alone to be Aunt Sally.

• Like Like x 4
  5. I would not be too sure of that. It may be akin to inquest evidence. I think it can be considered by a later judicial process if it differs from what the person says on oath in the subsequent process.

6. I would expect a few more to pop up in the (very) near future as well.

7. I do hope there are arrests

Because I can see a nice compensation jobbie for anyone arrested for questioning, seeing as events 41 years ago and attended as planned interviews have no chance on this ****ing earth of fulfilling the necessity test under code G of PACE!

• Like Like x 2
  8. I'm really fed up with the whole thing.

When I was in, my attitude was let the whole sorry lot of them kill each other and leave us out of it. Unfortunately we were involved and acted as best we could under the training, rules and guidance of the time. I was never one of those who jumped out of perfectly serviceable aircraft on a steady basis or when they discovered the pilot was an officer.

Why is this still being pushed? I thought the Good Friday agreement or whatever it is was is supposed to draw a line under everything that happened previously. If that's not the case why are the Irish lot not being pursued as vigorously?

I really dislike the targetting of former military in this manner. The system of the time did it's bit. Decisions were made then and modern interpretation of those decisions will never fit with the way of the world at the time.

• Like Like x 26
  9. yup, i have to say the good friday agreement should wipe the slate clean,, talk about the provos having their cake and eat it

• Like Like x 6
  10. If a prosecution was fortcoming could McGuiness be called more likely as a prosecution witness (could the defence force his attendance?).

We know indeed he has confirmed he was there, some accounts have him holding a sub machine gun.

He side stepped all these questions at the (latest) enquiry arranging some bollocks about a strict line of questioning as part of his agreement to appear.

If he can be cross examined we might just get finally get to the truth.

11. Not even for preventing communication between co-accused during the interview phase, conducting searches, using special warnings during interview or imposing bail conditions?

12. Primarily because the Army has a habit of keeping records, PIRA et al, not so (although, oddly, the loyalist mobs frequently did). So any inquiries into what PIRA did tend to stall at a very early stage. But also because, well... they haven't gone away you know.

You'll probably see a little bit of rabble rousing between now and the end of the year, the Haas talks, (also a factor in why the Prods have started painting the gable ends again) and particularly the DUP turn around on the Maze "peace centre". It's impossible to overestimate how important that centre is to the "republican movement".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Unfortunately I don't think this will go away until they get the result they want. If when all is said and done it is found that troops were in the wrong it will be The Army's Hillsborough and that is too much of an opportunity for them to give up on.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I'm not sure they ever want it resolved, as it stands it's an eternal stick to beat the Brits with, old soldiers in gaol does nothing for anyone.

• Like Like x 4