Bloody Sunday, ITV last night.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by PullUpASandbag, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wanted something clearing up.....

Saw aforementioned programme on ITV last night, first time I've seen it because when it was first shown (either 2001 0r 2002) we was in Girdwood, Belfast and got crashed out of the NAAFI halfway through if I remember right.

Anyway, all the scenes on there (basically Paras knowingly executing unarmed civilians) is this the now-proven sequence of events? I am willing to be corrected If I'm wrong but I was under the impression that the events of that day were still far from clarified so for a British broadcaster to show such a production showing unproven allegations of murder to be true, surely this is at best irresponsible and at worst downright slander of one of this country's institutions (Para Reg)?

It p*ssed me off all the way through with such a one-sided version of events and then the final kick in the b*llocks was in the credits at the end.......f*cking made using our b*stard lottery money!

I

2. Yeah, I saw it first time round and nearly kicked the fcuking TV into the next month...

But best remember that there is an enquiry on the go (for the second time) and that will take one hell of a lot of taxpayer's money

3. Just watching it now, but does anyone know if any former paras / squaddies were involved with the production I noticed the jailed former SAS officer Simon Mann portraying the 1 Para Colonel, I only ask as the details seem pretty spot on.
    Normally the actors potraying troops on tv look like bags of sh1te with berets the size of helicopter landing pads, and kit all over the place but the guys on this actually looked like the real thing with regards to weapon handling, uniform etc, perhaps some arsser can enlighten me.

4. Thats where I've seen him? Spent all last night trying to put my finger on where I'd seen the 1 Para CO before! The bloke who tried to mount the coup in Africa.

5. Mr Mann, has lost a lot of weight since then. According to IMDB the extras portraying the Paras were all ex military.

6. Is that the one, which was partly filmed in 'manchester'? ? I remember a load of Actors dressed as squaddies up the road from me, using a derelict area of openshaw for filming.

7. I think it was mainly filmed around Ballymunn in Dublin.

8. I though it was filmed in belfast (from an interview with Nesbitt).

9. Bloody Sunday is a 2002 television film about the 1972 "Bloody Sunday" shootings in Derry, Northern Ireland. Although produced by Granada Television as a TV film, its cinematic potential was noted and it premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on 16 January, a few days before its screening on ITV on 20 January, and then in selected London cinemas from 25 January. The production was written and directed by Paul Greengrass. Though set in Derry city, the film was actually shot in Ballymun in North Dublin. However, some location scenes were shot in Derry City, in Guildhall Square and in Creggan on the actual route of the march of 1972.

Mainly shot in North Dublin

10. Not really relevant to the film but I had a Para mate who told me that when he was crow at depot, he and his intake were being taught Regimental history and the Instructor told them 1 Para were responsible for Bloody Sunday.

Some bright spark in room asked - 'Sergeant you say one Para was responsible for Bloody Sunday, well who was that one Para what was his name'?

11. Quick Google threw this up, the cost the enquiry was £ 400 Million in 2006 !!!!

Bloody Sunday Enquiry

Might have been cheaper to give them their "Blood Money", with out prejudice and this would have been put to bed. Ah but then the wide mouth hags colleagues couldn’t have made an industry out of trying to hang British soldiers.

YM

12. £200 million and rising. Now not expected to be completed until "Winter 2009" but that was situation 4 months ago.

13. My sister has new found friends in what she calls 'derry and she's swallowed the whole IRA/ marxist /bullshit version of irish history completely....talks about "500 years of brit oppression..." etc. etc. - couldn't believe my ears!

Don't get me wrong, its great that ordinary Brits can go over and visit now and enjoy the craic with the locals,...... although the sad thing is, the niece and nepthew have taken their version of events on board as well, so its a given among them that we were all bad bastards....

Looks like we have lost the peace and programmes like greengrasses perpetuate that myth 'of evil Brits' for the younger generation as they always seem sympathetic to the Republican /provo viewpoint.

14. Its cnuts like whoever made this film and all the other anti-British left-wing scumbags (Livingstone, Toynbee, Short, Galloway etc) that do me. Personally I don't hate the opposition, whether they be IRA, Taliban, whatever. They're doing their thing, we're doing ours. Its the w@ankers who live in this country under the cloak of freedom and liberty provided by generation after generation of British soldiers who for some reason have a pathetic self-loathing and will always support those who oppose this country. Some tw@tty film director, Ken something or other, hes another scumbag. Guardian-reading t0ssers.

15. Its cnuts like whoever made this film and all the other anti-British left-wing scumbags (Livingstone, Toynbee, Short, Galloway etc) that do me. Personally I don't hate the opposition, whether they be IRA, Taliban, whatever. They're doing their thing, we're doing ours. Its the w@ankers who live in this country under the cloak of freedom and liberty provided by generation after generation of British soldiers who for some reason have a pathetic self-loathing and will always support those who oppose this country. Some tw@tty film director, Ken something or other, hes another scumbag. Guardian-reading t0ssers.[/quote]

Good man Bag, Don't you dare sit on the fence