Bloody Sunday ITV 3 (Tonight) Sunday 0045

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by the_boy_syrup, Jan 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Starring James Nesbitt

Dramatic account of the events of Sunday 30 Jan 1972
    Follows the events from the eyes of the Soldiers, Police and civillians

I seem to remember this was quite contreversial when it came out

At least the Soldiers look the part with shaped Berets and decent kit as opposed to landing pads and soldier soldier style dramatics

http://www.itv.com/TVGuide/?intcmp=NAV_TVGUIDE3

2. Nice one, got it set to record (though i'll probably end up watching it anyway)

3. It "stars" the infamous Simon Mann as C.O 1 PARA.

IIRC it caused a bit of a stir when first released because it was a BBC funded project and people were unhappy about the supposed bias opinion against the Paras actions.

4. I've seen this, don't bother. It takes artistic licence to a new level.

5. terrible, terrible film account of bloody sunday making us look like murders.. we all know what side that was filmed for. wounder what the scum would say if there was another made but from the armys point of view. esp since the truth would soon be realised and wot a joke by the way that a self confessed commander of the provos at bloddy sunday is now our deputy first minster. and past education minster... happy enuf to take the queens money now martin eh

6. Did he ever own up to slotting those three (or were there more?) "suspects" that he "tried"?
    Or will we have to wait for a "dramatization" to see that too?

7. Nice one, got it set to record (though I'll probably end up watching it for a bit, getting really annoyed, kicking the cats and then deleting it WAY before the end).

I too heard they use a 'bit' of artistic licence.

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

An excellent portrayal of events in the same way that various American films "correctly" portray history

9. It was on the other night (Thursday or Friday can't remeber what chanel) fell asleep quater of the way through it, it was that exciting

10. Not now it isn't.

11. has anyone seen sunday? the same subject only written by jimmy mcgowan, and brought out the same time as bloody sunday. its like a NORAID PR wet dream. goes in to a lot of detail of the "real" events from the paras point of view, showing them shooting from the hip, and shooting people with thier hands up at close range. now im not aware of what really went went on obviously, but turning the paras in to arnie clones? i couldnt help feeling it was mostly bollox

12. Thats because ITV2 / 3 / 4 seem to be on a loop; fcuking irritating.

13. I started watching it last night, fell asleep too. Saw up to when the march organizer was talking to the Provos in their motor, but can't remember much else.

14. Thats funny, I looked at the review on the 'Retired PIRA Hero' website and they all complained it showed the troops beiong too nice and restrained. And as for the empathy and helpfulness shown by the RUC inspector they just didn't belive that at all.

15. My bold - that 's because all of the military extras were ex-military, many of whom had served on Op Banner. As for the content of the film it'll be argued about for centuries to come.

Paul Greengrass, the director went on to do two of the Jason Bourne films. He's got another Matt Damon ex mil themed film coming out soon, 'The Green Zone'. The CIA station chief in this one is called Gordon Brown :D