Bloody Sunday Compensation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by allgone2ratsh1t, Sep 22, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The MOD has announced it is to pay compenSation to the victims of Bloody Sunday.

So does this mean that Sinn Fein will pay compensation to victims of PIRA?
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Compensation was first paid in 1974. Compensation for Bloody Sunday victims
    The Government is to pay £42,000 compensation to relatives of those killed in the Bloody Sunday riots in Northern Ireland nearly three years ago.
    Thirteen men were killed when British troops opened fire on a group of demonstrators in the Bogside district of Londonderry on 30 January 1972.

The payments, which range from £250 to more than £16,500, were being made "in a spirit of goodwill and conciliation", the Ministry of Defence said.

But the victims' families say they were not seeking compensation, only to clear their relatives of the accusation they were gunmen and bombers.

Opened fire

The riots followed a largely peaceful protest against the policy of internment without trial.

The mood began to deteriorate when some missiles were thrown at troops manning the security barriers and soldiers responded by charging the demonstrators.

The army opened fire, insisting it had been fired on first by two snipers in a nearby tower block.

But the protesters, who were supported by local catholic priest Father Edward Daly, said they were unarmed and most had their backs to the soldiers when the first shots were fired.

An inquiry by Lord Widgery in 1972 completely exonerated the army.

It said their firing had "bordered on the reckless" but there was no doubt they had been shot at first.

Catholic families rejected the inquiry's findings and demanded a fresh investigation.

Speaking after today's decision, Dr Daly, who is now Bishop of Londonderry, said: "I don't think one can put a financial value on a human life. Any life is priceless.

"The government statement says they accept the fact that it's been proved [the demonstrators] weren't carrying weapons but I would have preferred it if they had gone a step further and stated the full truth that these people were completely innocent."

The widow of one of the victims and mother of eight children, Mrs Ita McKinney, is to receive more than £13,000 from the government.

She said: "I will accept the money on behalf of my children. It will not make any difference to my life. I have lost my husband, things will still be the same."

Conservative MP John Biggs-Davison spoke out against the awards. He questioned whether relatives of troops injured in a similar situation would have received as much compensation.
  3. Will Sinn Fein be paying compensation to all of it's victims - somehow I really doubt that !!!!!

Bloody hypocrisy and bloody silly and just as a matter of interest why is it the MOD that has to pay?

And now we hear that Gerry Adams will be running for President of the newest banana republic.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I suppose this was inevitable following the Inquiry. Not saying it is right, just inevitable.

Once the Government had set up the Inquiry in such a way that there was no purpose other than to document the 'guilt' of the British Army, there could really be no other conclusion.

IMO this is a political decision which I would bet was foisted on MoD so therefore this compensation should not come from MoD budgets, but I bet it will to distance the politicians from any of this. Also, and it won't happen, any legal aid costs should be recovered from any compensation given!

BTW, I did a tour in Belfast a fw months after 'Bloody Sunday' and was traumatised because some of the Paddies were not nice to me - am I entitled to compensation?
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Err..because the MOD is liable for murders soldiers carried out on Bloody Sunday.

And it's Martin McGuinness, not Gerry Adams, who is running for the Presidency of the Republic of Ireland.

**** me how dense are you?
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Can servicemen present at BS claim for the mental anguish and suffering brought about by nearly 40 years of inquiry?
  7. Auld-Yin

And PIRA of course never murdered anyone, did they? I would be careful about the 'dense' tag you put on people. I completely understood what bokka meant.

Fair one re Adams/McGuinness, who are both murdering bastards IMHO who should be sued for compo by every soldier to serve in the Province.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. On the John McAleese thread contributors express their anger that the press seem not to be extending him the benefit of the principle "Innocent unless proven guilty".

Presumably the same outrage would flow if he had been interned without trial as a suspect paedo.

In Ulster internment without trial, Ballymurphy and Bloody Sunday changed the situation. OIRA went to ceasefire in 1972. Why ?

Part of it was that the actions of HMG and unwittingly by the Army had ensured the planned class conflict would break along sectarian lines limited to Ulster. The avowedly Marxist OIRA would disengage and wait for the strategic advantage foolishly conceded by HMG as HMG got the "Acceptable level of violence" its strategists deemed the best way to go.

Picture a George Smiley theorizing that what was needed was an aggressive regiment in the wrong mindset in the wrong place when someone helpful fired the first shot.

There were no heros at either massacre only victims in the populace and in the Paras.
  9. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Well its true, on that black day, The BritishArmy did acted poorly and gave PIRA thier biggest recruiting tool ever.

Hardly surprisin greally? Did you expect them to bake you cakes and hold a jamboree after 13 people were gunned down and killed in the streets?

My own thoughts? Find those guilty of the shootings from the day, charge them, find them guilty if so, then set them immediatley free under the good friday agreement.

Paddies can then no longer whine that justice wasn't served, any payouts fall under the criminal compensation scheme, job jobbed.

Sadly, Mcguiness and Adams, for whatever reason have failed to be arrested, charged and tried, therefore remain (in the eyes of the law) innocent. For me along with Bloody Sunday thats another of our failings in the Province. Nothing would please me more than to see those two slotted or banged up.

No point us kicking off about Bloody Sunday, Those people shouldn't have died at the hands of the Army. Its not the reason we were sent.
    • Like Like x 3
  10. I prefer to think of them as being "uncharged with any crime so far" rather than innocent.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Auld-Yin

And thus speaks P-G, anyone disagreeing with him will be mercilessly mis-quoted and the thread generally scribbled over so no-one can remember how P-G derailed the thread in the first place.

Still, if that is the view of a Welsh forecourt petrol pumper and general dogs-body for the AAC, so be it.
  12. Gents

Don't be so one eyed. The British army has not always covered itself in glory, and this time the Paras did wrong. Loden lost the plot, firing live rounds into a demonstration was inexcusable. I'm a right footer, and I think their actions were shameful, unprofessional and a bloody disgrace that led to the PIRA gaining a legitimacy in the minds of some people that would never have dreamed to support them. It directly led to the escelation of the civil rights movement into the "troubles".

Bloody Sunday changed the attitude of the RC public to the British Army, changed international opinion. It's only now with hindsight we can really assess the damage it caused. The hot headed actions on that day did the army no favours, and directly impacted on all of us as we lived with the consequences of a relegitimised PIRA for the next 30 years. The MOD pays as the MOD commited the negligent and irresponsible act.

Do not confuse the people on this civil rights demonstration with the IRA. They weren't. The Zeitgeist that pervaded was one of civil rights, and the marchers looked to Martin Luther King as an example. The marchers saw this as an equivalent of Selma to Montgomery. These were decent people as a whole standing up forwhat they believed to be a just cause. NICRA had grievences that had they be listened to equitbaly could have saved the lives of many.

The families of those who died deserve compensation. It's a shame it's taken so long.
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Am I the only one who is fed up with "the MoD paying compensation/the Police paying compensation" ect., ? It's nothing of the sort. It's the poor bloody tax-payer [Stand fast the workshy!] who pay.
  14. So you believe soldiers deliberately murdered people on Bloody Sunday?

As to a simple typo of one murdering basterd over another, **** you.