Bloody Mozzies!

L

lumpy2

In the past few years, I seem to have developed an extreme (localised) reaction to mozzie bites. Never used to happen, so is it me or the mozzies that have changed?

Bastard thing got me yesterday, just the normal small itchy lump, I thought nothing of it, but overnight it's developed into this:

PICT0413.JPG

Black Sheep

Old-Salt
Welcome to the new age. Common phenomenon if you google if it. I heard 2 reasons...
1) Invasion of newer species as UK climate changes
2) As we wipe out colonies with spaying pesticides etc the only ones that survive are more virulent or hard as nails.

Incidentally it is only the females that do this. Same world over. Blood suckers :)

get some cream on it, local chemist will sell it and copius amounts!

Aye Worthingtons CREAMflow bitter works a treat lad.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get pure tea tree oil (melaleuca alternifolia). As a prophylactic, sprinkle it liberally, the not unpleasant smell keeps all insects away. As a remedy, apply a drop to the site of the bite. An industrial trainee once collected an insect bite at a team meal at a lakeside restaurant and was all but screaming. Ten minutes after a dab of tea tree, the goose bump and violent itch were gone.

Memo to self: out of tea tree oil.

L

lumpy2

Thanks for the advice all. It's not so much pain/itching that's bothering me, but the alarming way it's spread, now about a 4 inch diameter area of redness, swelling and heat :omg:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Oh and some years ago I heard that Australian hospitals were considering allowing it as an antiseptic. Sheep that rub against tea tree never get ticks etc. I believe its related to eucalyptus. Sod it read Wikipedia.

:)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
If it goes bulls eye on you, might be a good idea to be checked for Lyme disease (often caused by a tickbite rather than mozzie):

upload_2014-9-20_14-53-48.jpeg

Dwarf

LE
Grow a tobacco plant in the garden, it helps. New species as the man said, more aggressive and annoying. We have tiger mossies in our garden now and they swarm at you whereas before that never happened.
One massive one got into our bedroom and I woke up with 14 painful bites the other day, and I managed to track it down and splat it.
I use Bach Flower Rescue Remedy Cream, works a treat.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
In the past few years, I seem to have developed an extreme (localised) reaction to mozzie bites. Never used to happen, so is it me or the mozzies that have changed?

Bastard thing got me yesterday, just the normal small itchy lump, I thought nothing of it, but overnight it's developed into this:

View attachment 177705
I'm the same, get bit wherever I go with spreading cellulitis. Some other threads if you use the search but nothing stops them biting me. I've tried everything

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Tried that and everything else. When I go abroad I take flucloxacillin, Betnovate cream, Swiss Army knife, iodine and dressings.

Thanks for the advice all. It's not so much pain/itching that's bothering me, but the alarming way it's spread, now about a 4 inch diameter area of redness, swelling and heat :omg:
I had the same four years ago in Texas, well, even worse.
First the small pink bump which rapidly turned white & grew to the size of a 10p. Then the skin broke & the bite started weeping clear liquid whilst itching like Hell.
The family I was stopping with wanted to take me to hospital, as I had 30 or more of these bites & wasn't feeling too good. Luckily I was heading off to New Mexico & there's no mozzies to speak of where I went.
I hate mozzies & am glad we don't have the bug(ger)s in Cumbria.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Tried that and 100% DEET. Brewers yeast tablets, marmite, citronella and everything else. I get huge wine gum looking infected bites, spreading cellulitis and misery.

Maybe you are subliminally ginger. The mozzies can tell, you know.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Does that distract or stop them?

I understand mozzies are attracted to certain types of people more than others. They rarely bother me, for example.

They don't like smoke and I've used these often in Germany and Cyprus:

lifesystems-7050-med.jpg

and many people say they don't like garlic. Don't know if that's true, but my diet has a lot of garlic and onions in it (and turmeric and ginger, tonight's curry will have lots of all four items in it)). Of course, correlation and causation are not the same thing.

Latest Threads