Bloody Hell !!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ex_Duke, Mar 4, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to Abbas, Bush said: 'God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.'

Today.....................................

Anti-war campaigners have criticised Tony Blair after he revealed he had prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq in 2003.

2. Do you have a link for this?

3. JEEZE.
    Try GOOGLE...Bush+God.....Try Blair+God.

Tony Blair has proclaimed that God will judge whether he was right to send British troops to Iraq, echoing statements from his ally George Bush. ...

4. As in every war, it looks like God has his work cut out for him.

5. Calm yourself! Board policy is to cite sources where you quote something - I've read various reports but I've not seen that particular comment...

6. DB...,Anything to please.

PM attacked over Iraq war prayers

Anti-war campaigners have criticised Tony Blair after he revealed he had prayed to God when deciding whether or not to send UK troops to Iraq in 2003.
    The prime minister told ITV1's Parkinson chat show that he believed God would judge him over his decision.

Reg Keys, whose son was killed in Iraq, said Mr Blair was "using God as a get-out for total strategic failure" and his comments were "abhorrent".

But Labour MP Stephen Pound praised Mr Blair for being "painfully honest".

Mr Blair told Michael Parkinson, in an interview being screened on Saturday, how he had struggled with his conscience when making decisions about a potential war in Iraq.

If this was anything to do with trying to appeal to the electorate, he wouldn't be so excruciatingly honest
    Stephen Pound
    Labour MP

"When you're faced with a decision like that, some of those decisions have been very, very difficult, most of all because you know these are people's lives and, in some case, their deaths," he said.

"The only way you can take a decision like that is to do the right thing according to your conscience."

He added: "In the end, there is a judgement that, I think if you have faith about these things, you realise that judgement is made by other people."

Asked to explain what he meant, Mr Blair replied: "If you believe in God, it's made by God as well."

Red Caps killed

Mr Keys, who stood in the 2005 General Election as an anti-war candidate in Mr Blair's constituency of Sedgefield, said going to war had been a "catastrophic political blunder".

Mr Keys' son, Lance Corporal Tom Keys, was one of six Red Caps killed by an Iraqi mob in Majar Al-Kabir in June 2003.

"War should be the final option that a prime minister takes when all avenues have failed. In my view those other avenues hadn't failed," said Mr Keys, the founder of campaign group Military Families Against The War.

Are we really seeing over 100 coffins coming back because God told him to go to war?
    Reg Keys, father of dead UK soldier

"God doesn't come into this at all. We want to believe that our... loved ones... died for a justified cause, not some delusional religious cause."

He accused Mr Blair of "jumping on the same bandwagon" as US President George W Bush.

"Are we really seeing over 100 coffins coming back [to the UK] because God told him [Mr Blair] to go to war?"

Rose Gentle, whose son Gordon was killed in Basra in 2004, said: "A good Christian wouldn't be for this war.

"I'm actually quite disgusted by the comments. It's a joke."

Dr Evan Harris, a Liberal Democrat MP and honorary associate of the National Secular Society, said Mr Blair's comments were "bizarre" and warned against politicians making "references to deity" in public life.

However, Mr Pound told BBC Two's Newsnight that Mr Blair was being "painfully honest" and, as he would not be seeking re-election as prime minister, his comments should be taken as apolitical.

"If this was anything to do with trying to appeal to the electorate, he wouldn't be so excruciatingly honest," he said.

"If he was trying to go that awful American route of guns, gods and gays and try to link politics to religion, then he wouldn't be doing it this way."

Parkinson, ITV1, 2155 GMT on Saturday, 4 March

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/uk_politics/4773124.stm

Published: 2006/03/04 03:59:15 GMT

If it moves..Salute it. If it dont..Paint it.

7. http://snipurl.com/1nrv

8. Thank you! An interesting read.

9. Does that mean that, as serving soldiers, we are now part of the god squad ?? Is Bliar becoming a religous hard-nut, a fanatic for christianity, a clerical herratic (or was that a clerical error).

10. He prayed over the morality of the action not the intent of the action.

11. My feeling is that one can examine one's conscience without the need to speak with one's god. It's tricky ground - Blair is entitled to his personal beliefs, but he is elected on a secular platform thus I find it uncomfortable that his religious dependency is brought into the discussion, especially given the fact that religion is to blame for much of the current instability in Iraq.

12. Does this also mean that if Blair was killed by a suicide bomber, then that's also OK since it's the will of God?

13. Does this mean that I could now get away with any of the following scenarios.

A. Not bother going to the sandpit again because "God" told me not to bother. After all, does "god" only talk to important people. I mean, lets face it, people wouldn't think I was barking mad would they?

B. Not bother going to the sandpit again as i am an atheist and therefore should not really follow orders from a barking mad priminister who takes his lead from ancient and obviously fictional story book characters.

14. my thought exactlly....
    i once belived in this god,as a child i went to church and the belives i belived in i brought into the Army...those belives i.e-all people have the right to....ohhh the list is too long :!:
    im woundering if theres two gods, :idea: the one that had a quiet word with me said 'dont do it... dont go and W.T.F is this place'

my eyes have seen to much comes to mind, (b)lair should open his eyes and stop listening to the voice of s***t,that obviously speaks to him on a daily basis.(soz in advance to all those that still belive)

BEER is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy :D

i should get round to thanking (b)lair for opening my eyes one day

15. YOu are of course assuming that (B)liar is in touch with the same god as all of us, or does he perhaps have his own personal one, you know, the one in the dress who appears in visions as a QC, travels the world on freebies, and dictates her policies through him. Or is it the god that many find in the bottom of a bottle. And do his disciples Judas 2-jags and the rest of the gang, go along with his visions.