Bloody Doctors Screwing with the Research

The American Journal of Preventive Medicine is pulling the rug out from under one of the best excuses for drinking...
they looked at 30 known risk factors for cardiovascular disease: age, social factors, income, physical activity, diet, health conditions, diabetes, body mass index, access to health services etc. etc. and compared non-drinkers to moderate drinkers to Moe's regulars from the Simpsons...

The Centre for Discease Control and Prevention now claim that you should hold on a second before reaching for that Pinot Noir - moderate drinking as an aid to health - inclduding helping heart disease - may be ' illusionary ' [ knew it was too good a thing ]...

Seems that they ' discovered ' that moderate drinkers tend to be wealthier, better educated, more active and better nourished than non-drinkers and heavy drinkers, and it is these characteristics, instead of the nightly glass of tipple , that explains the healthier hearts...

Sifted through 250,000 responses finding that 27 of 30 risk factors were significantly more prevalent among non-drinkers than moderate drinkers - only 2 risk factors were higher in the drinking set : male gender [ apparently being a guy is bad for guys ] and smoking.

So, bottom line is that ' one cannot conclude that drinking has any health benefits '

drinkers improved health can be based on ' confounding factors' not alcohol consumption itself.

of course, too much drinking is not a good thing either with one-third of North American drinkers downing ' too many '..leading to 75,000 -80,000 deaths a year..

Disclaimer : research denotes an ' association ' between modest drinking and health - not cause and effect ..

people who do not drink should not take up drinking to ' improve health ' any more than moderate drinkers should up their intake.. the ' rule ' is still one drink a day for women and 2 a day for men...this is likely to do no harm [ and no fun either ]...

Me, I'm into keeping my body ' preserved ' by alcohol infusion over drinking to stay fit...

Still not being able to claim medical benefits from booze spoils the thing and - hey - maybe I can sue barkeeps and wine stewards for telling me drinking is good for me..false advertising and all that...[ might be an up side afteralll ].....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ciggie The NAAFI Bar 58
TheresaMay The NAAFI Bar 189
sirbhp Gaming and Software 24