Bloodiest battle ever?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Dashing_Chap, Aug 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I would have thought it would be something like Stalingrad or Kursk, but according to GMF the Third Battle of Nanking gets the morbid prize. One has to take into account that this is a battle in the traditional sense as it took place over a few days and not months or weeks like the more famous battles of WWI/WWII.

Third Battle of Nanking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't really hear much about the Taiping Rebellion Taiping Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and according to wiki over 100,000 were killed in a 3 day period.

Was the Third Battle of Nanking really the bloodiest battle in the world?

DC

2. I doubt it, a good kill ratio for the English but overall Medieval armies were only about 10k strong on average. What I mean to ask is what battle had the most casualties in all of history, regardless of victors or vanquished.

DC

3. Kohima sounded pretty grim.

4. Cannae has might be the one.

80,000 - 90,000 Romans killed in a single day.
    There is a reason why generals have attempted to create a "second cannae" for more than two thousand years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes I'm fascinated by Kohima and Imphal, the biggest land based defeat by the Japanese and it was at the hands of the British Indian Army. They should really teach this sort of thing at school, it would go down well with all the multi-cultural stuff. People forget that India and Britain have an illustrious joint history.

DC

6. Indeed, no ordinary men and all that. Slim and the 14th Army should receive much more recognition and feature much more in rememberence and education.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Just posting so I can find this thread after work, thanks for the link Mr Deputy.

8. Yup Cannae has my vote too although Lake Trasamene is also a contender

9. Agreed about Lake Trasimene, although I could not remember its name while posting originally.
    Two battles here admittedly, but a two day score of 95,000 to 110,000 (with thousands more captured too). Hannibal must be the yardstick for this "competition", he certainly seems to have killed more enemy on a single day than any other commander in history.

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't there a Civil war battle that reduced the population of Great Britain by a measurable percentage over the course of a day or two? Somewhere near Pontefract rings a bell.

11. When it comes to 'bloodiest' Cannae and the like must have the advantage over modern battles.

Ninety thousand Romans killed at arms length with edged weapons, the mind boggles, what a vision from hell that must have been.

12. 060816A AUG 45.

There is no other contender. It was a bit one-sided, though.

13. I'll second Lake Trasimene and Cannae.

My War Studies lecturer contended that Austerlitz should be up there - he did a very interesting calculation to show that the numbers lost on that day were a very high percentage of the Austrian population, and that the country took years to recover from it.