Bloodhound Cancelled.

BBC showing the Bloodhound project cancelled due to £25mil shortfall in funding, assets being liquidated.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Someone will be along shortly to blame it on a very current affairs topic!

UORMan

War Hero
Shame, and although I am sure it was a very complex task, it does seem to have dragged on for a very long time. It has been in the making (according to Wiki) for 10 years. Kennedy spoke about going to the Moon in 62, and they landed in 69.

Shame, and although I am sure it was a very complex task, it does seem to have dragged on for a very long time. It has been in the making (according to Wiki) for 10 years. Kennedy spoke about going to the Moon in 62, and they landed in 69.
It is a shame , but all down to money. NASA had pretty much an unlimited budget to go to the moon.

ugly

LE
Would this project have delivered anything of use to its investors?

ugly

LE
Maybe it lacked even that? Investors dont want to be associated with failure do they?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
What else would investors seek bar exposure through advertising and support?

That's the problem with all these kind of events / investments though. The larger general public doesn't give a shit and doesn't care about who invested in it or sponsored it, and a lot of big chip companies don't view it as a sound investment either.

So... a great idea that would push boundaries, but of benefit to no-one really.

Absolutely not bar stickers on it's paint. It was all about nailing an eye-opening target for Great Britain, and why not?
As in all LSR's over history, which have been laced with political flag waving testosterone, it was, or would have been, as much a kick-ass just for the hell of it to middle finger those (countries) who could only wish.
I never shook off the uneasy feeling it was an envelope too far, being old enough to recall listening to the Bluebird disaster live. But then men ( and women) doing incredibly dangerous testing with feats of courage through the decades has resulted in technology marching on I suppose though I'm at a loss to understand what trickle-down benefits were to be had...as in other LSR attempts.
To get so far, and then die is bloody awful though but 25 million?

I suspect the present financial constraints are the prime reason for failure, the obvious one is immaterial, the ecconomy was on its way down anyway.

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
Prestige possibly, but apart from that, very little

Absolutely not bar stickers on it's paint. It was all about nailing an eye-opening target for Great Britain, and why not?
As in all LSR's over history, which have been laced with political flag waving testosterone, it was, or would have been, as much a kick-ass just for the hell of it to middle finger those (countries) who could only wish.
I never shook off the uneasy feeling it was an envelope too far, being old enough to recall listening to the Bluebird disaster live. But then men ( and women) doing incredibly dangerous testing with feats of courage through the decades has resulted in technology marching on I suppose though I'm at a loss to understand what trickle-down benefits were to be had...as in other LSR attempts.
To get so far, and then die is bloody awful though but 25 million?

I agree, bloody disgraceful, mind you I wouldn't be surprised with the current defence budget that they needed the engines back!!!! Somebody call me wrong on this???

I thought it had been cancelled for ages
After which the car was named. Ron Ayers was the aerodynamicist who did much of the design work on the Bloodhound rocket. In retirement he was working as a volunteer at Brooklands he started an interest in the LSR; he then worked with Richard Noble as the chief aero man on Thrust and Thrust SSC. He was still heavily involved in the early days of the Bloodhound car which Noble named in recognition of his seminal work.

He’s one of Britain’s forgotten engineering heroes, still alive at 86. Got a poxy MBE in 2014; top little, too late for the man who designed the Victor, Bloodhound (both) and three world land speed record holders.

Richard Noble should be knighted too. In a world that knights a tennis player for winning a few majors, surely twice breaking the LSR matters.

Latest Threads