Blood Transfusion in the Army / TA

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Chemicalali, Jun 14, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, is there anyone on here who works in Army medical labs? I'm a lab assistant in a blood transfusion lab, I'm getting a bit bored with the mundane day to day stuff of working for the NHS. I expect the Army must have people doing my job, so I'm planning on joining the TA and think doing my job in a field hospital in Afghanistan would be more exciting.

Is there anyone with some experience of this or something similar, would i get to do more exciting stuff working for the Army? What's it like / what am I getting myself in to? What kind of training is involved and how long does it take?

Cheers. Alex

2. Can't answer the Q directly: best bet is to look up your nearest TA Medical Unit/Field Hospital, and tootle along to see them.

3. What are your qualifications? Yes there are army labs and yes they do alot of transfusions. What area are you from???

4. Lab rats we have! What quals do you have and what area you fancy joining the TA in?

5. Whilst not in the Field Hospital in Afghan you will more than likely be employed in the NHS, albeit a little bit better off in the pocket or at a Fd unit looking after your equipment. MLA is not a recognised trade within the Army so you would have to qualify as a BMS to be able to carry out this job.

Excitement wise, yes its better than the NHS when your deployed as you are a crucial element in the life saving care of our wounded brothers and sisters. Training to become a BMS as it stands requires you to pass a 6 month course at the training school before embarking on a 3 year (day release) uni course to get a degree in Biomedical Science. When your not at uni you will be employed in an NHS lab learning everything you need to know about your trade.

This is of course after you successfully complete basic training and you have the right qualifications for the job.

6. There are labs in feild hospitals in afghan but not in the FOBs only in the bigger units

7. Best thing you can do is to take all these questions to your local unit, and the best of luck to you :D

You can expect to do the same basic as anyone else.