Blood test

j09

Crow
My son had been deferred, waiting on a blood test to comfirm his not got sickel cell , his on his way back from lichfield now, his passed everthing but the run. His left with very unclear information as to when and how this all gets done, his very keen to go in the March intake as a junior if he waits till september he will go in as an adult ? my questions are how long does this process take and what happens for here? many thanks

99.9 % sure his not got it , its been picked up because I have no infomtion about my Dad which means we dont know his ethnicity of his grandfather ! wish they asked all these question before you go for the test would save alots of time and money on there part!

Last edited:

Mrsheeny

War Hero
Doesn’t he go to somewhere to get tested for sickle cell then if negative, do the run at that place? Eg doesn’t he go to say Pirbright, get a blood test and do the run there? I’m sure I’ve heard that is the case.

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
I would support him until the blood test full result is back & see what the Army so then about him joining.
Surprised your GP did not pick this up, suggest you talk to them, avoid wikipedia though.

j09

Crow
Doesn’t he go to somewhere to get tested for sickle cell then if negative, do the run at that place? Eg doesn’t he go to say Pirbright, get a blood test and do the run there? I’m sure I’ve heard that is the case.
they haven't told him anyhting yet ?

Fake Sheikh

War Hero
Go to local GP and ask them to do a full blood screening & see what happens.
Explain sons situation & as under 18 you might get involved, NHS quicker than the Army probably.

Ask GP for the info leaflet on sickle cell, read, digest & understand.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
they haven't told him anyhting yet ?
I’d get on the phone to his CSM then. Surely they’d have told him the next step at Lichfield? Or is it something they need to arrange? Either way it’s best to speak to his Candidate Support Manager.

j09

Crow
I’d get on the phone to his CSM then. Surely they’d have told him the next step at Lichfield? Or is it something they need to arrange? Either way it’s best to speak to his Candidate Support Manager.
yes his been calling just no reply yet, I was hoping someone would have been through it and can share what happened to them. I'm sure we will find out soon enough just being impatiant !

Mrsheeny

War Hero
yes his been calling just no reply yet, I was hoping someone would have been through it and can share what happened to them. I'm sure we will find out soon enough just being impatiant !
Yep probably. I’m prettt sure he will need to go somewhere else where he would be tested for sickle cell and then do the run there, they’re not taking any chances with sickle cell at the minute, not sure why.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
they’re not taking any chances with sickle cell at the minute, not sure why.
Too afraid of charges of racism. A mate's wife is up the duff and she had to be tested for it despite being Finnish.

amnesia

Old-Salt
My son had been deferred, waiting on a blood test to comfirm his not got sickel cell , his on his way back from lichfield now, his passed everthing but the run. His left with very unclear information as to when and how this all gets done, his very keen to go in the March intake as a junior if he waits till september he will go in as an adult ? my questions are how long does this process take and what happens for here? many thanks

99.9 % sure his not got it , its been picked up because I have no infomtion about my Dad which means we dont know his ethnicity of his grandfather ! wish they asked all these question before you go for the test would save alots of time and money on there part!
He is very unlikely to get onto the March intake unless he wants to join as a Cyber Engineer- they are the only roles open.

Currently all candidates who declare foreign heritage are being deferred, and are not able to complete the run.

He will go on a waiting list and eventually (hopefully) have to go to Pirbright on a Sunday morning; have the blood test; and if clear, will complete the run on Monday morning.

I would expect any of this to happen quickly.

The rules are there to protect your son.

j09

Crow
He is very unlikely to get onto the March intake unless he wants to join as a Cyber Engineer- they are the only roles open.

Currently all candidates who declare foreign heritage are being deferred, and are not able to complete the run.

He will go on a waiting list and eventually (hopefully) have to go to Pirbright on a Sunday morning; have the blood test; and if clear, will complete the run on Monday morning.

I would expect any of this to happen quickly.

The rules are there to protect your son.
Thats what his going in as cyber engineer, just got to wait for the call I guess, I very much hope its soon bless him. I'm 99.9% sure his got nothing about , just got to go through the process !

amnesia

Old-Salt
Thats what his going in as cyber engineer, just got to wait for the call I guess, I very much hope its soon bless him. I'm 99.9% sure his got nothing about , just got to go through the process !
In theory he should be pushed to the front of the queue in that case.

RG are desperate to fill the last few spaces at Harrogate and should push him to the front of the queue for the blood test (this is by no means guaranteed).

I would recommend chasing his recruiter at the AFCO and chasing his CSM on the Junior Entry team asap

j09

Crow
In theory he should be pushed to the front of the queue in that case.

RG are desperate to fill the last few spaces at Harrogate and should push him to the front of the queue for the blood test (this is by no means guaranteed).

I would recommend chasing his recruiter at the AFCO and chasing his CSM on the Junior Entry team asap
His going to keep at them , I told him to make sure they know what he wants to do , thank you.

Latest Threads