Blood sports ahead - Pirates capture 4 Americans

All waters are 'potentially dangerous'. Crossing the road is also 'potentially dangerous'. Do you have any idea of how many people there are at sea that weren't attacked by pirates?
Which waters are you planning on restricting 'cruises' to?
Bollocks you know exactly what I mean muppet, I am not talking danger of leaky boats, or the need for zebra crossings on dangerous roads am I on a thread about Somali Pirates?

And hey I am not saying restrict cruises to anwhere, they can go where they want, but if the get nabbed by Somalians, in the Indian Ocean which has lately been known as hunting grounds for the Skinnies, something which doesnt seem to happen whilst sailing off the cote d' azur, or around the outer hebrides.... How on earth can they not feel accountable for their actions! (if they are left alive to feel anything at all) how on earth can you not go "Doh!.... what were you thinking?"

ottar

LE
Bollocks you know exactly what I mean muppet, I am not talking danger of leaky boats, or the need for zebra crossings on dangerous roads am I on a thread about Somali Pirates?
You're babbling on about something you clearly know **** all about. There is more chance of getting a leaky boat than there is of being attacked by pirates.

And hey I am not saying restrict cruises to anwhere, they can go where they want, but if the get nabbed by Somalians, in the Indian Ocean which has lately been known as hunting grounds for the Skinnies, something which doesnt seem to happen whilst sailing off the cote d' azur, or around the outer hebrides.... How on earth can they not feel accountable for their actions! (if they are left alive to feel anything at all) how on earth can you not go "Doh!.... what were you thinking?"
You do realise that the Indian Ocean is rather large, yes? And that it is rather unavoidable if you are travelling to or from somewhere in it, or you wish to go to somewhere on the other side of it? As both coasts of Africa are piracy hotspots, as well as the Straits of Malacca, the South China Sea and the Caribbean, that doesn't really leave many places left.
99.999% of vessels in the Indian Ocean won't even see any pirates, never mind be attacked by them. Victims of piracy are mostly unlucky, not stupid. Even then, the vast majority of incidents involve minor theft, not kidnapping or murder.

Incidentally, in recent years, there have been a number of attacks in the Mediterranean, even a couple off the Belgian coast and one in the UK.

Incidentally, in recent years, there have been a number of attacks in the Mediterranean, even a couple off the Belgian coast and one in the UK.
Citations for the latter three please.

ottar

LE
There were a couple of boardings of bulkers anchored off Antwerp in 2006. There was an attempted boarding in 2007 in Liverpool.
To be honest, I'm surprised it's not more common.

<snip>

99.999% of vessels in the Indian Ocean won't even see any pirates, never mind be attacked by them. Victims of piracy are mostly unlucky, not stupid. Even then, the vast majority of incidents involve minor theft, not kidnapping or murder.

Take a look back through the IMB's Piracy Maps for the past few years and you'll find them. Not many places in the world are entirely free of risk but your chances of being mugged or run over in a city in the UK are still higher than being a victim of piracy in the Indian Ocean.

So that's one attempt at theft rather than piracy in Liverpool

The single Antwerp incident was another robbery - hardly piracy.

IMB reports nine incidents in the western Indian Ocean in the past three days.

I'm betting the frequency, seriousness, value & potential for harm to crews are just a tad higher in the Indian Ocean incidents.......

ottar

LE
So that's one attempt at theft rather than piracy in Liverpool

The single Antwerp incident was another robbery - hardly piracy.
Sure, if you are inventing your own definition of piracy. Of course, if you are using the international, multi-agency recognised, legal definitions of piracy, then they were all acts of piracy. And there were two acts on ships at anchor outside Antwerp, you would know that if you actually had the annual report. The most common act of piracy is boarding with the intent of theft - usually involving the not insignificant amount of money kept in the ship's safe - not hijacking or hostage taking.

IMB reports nine incidents in the western Indian Ocean in the past three days.

I'm betting the frequency, seriousness, value & potential for harm to crews are just a tad higher in the Indian Ocean incidents.......
No it isn't. IMB is reporting one incident in the entire world in the last three days. Or are you using your own special calendar and your own special atlas in addition to your own special definition of piracy?

winnfield

Old-Salt
I cant see how the US can respect its journos going by the sanctified drivel they churn out. I watch the US evening shows on the news channels and for a country with 250 odd million people they have no worthy news or you get the sesame street version
Don't watch US TV news. Even Americans know its stupid. Pay attention to US newspapers and magazine that are far superior to to the UK drivel ".... our lads".

Anyways, more info on the dead hostages:

Appears that the 2 Somali-pirate negotiators were arrested by FBI officials aboard the warship. UN Navy insists it wasn't their decision: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/world/africa/24pirates.html?src=mv

Don't watch US TV news. Even Americans know its stupid. Pay attention to US newspapers and magazine that are far superior to to the UK drivel ".... our lads".

Anyways, more info on the dead hostages:

Appears that the 2 Somali-pirate negotiators were arrested by FBI officials aboard the warship. UN Navy insists it wasn't their decision: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/24/world/africa/24pirates.html?src=mv
Any explanation of why the FBI was involved? Surely well out of their remit? Or once on US ship, US soil? What Act are they pursuing here? Not a Federal crime for sure.

You're babbling on about something you clearly know **** all about. There is more chance of getting a leaky boat than there is of being attacked by pirates.

You do realise that the Indian Ocean is rather large, yes? And that it is rather unavoidable if you are travelling to or from somewhere in it, or you wish to go to somewhere on the other side of it? As both coasts of Africa are piracy hotspots, as well as the Straits of Malacca, the South China Sea and the Caribbean, that doesn't really leave many places left.

Oh thats alright then, lets all pile down to the Marina... if we get stopped by the nasty skinnies eh, no worries we must be just incredibly unlucky nothing to do with tempting fate! And yes the straights of malacca have been well known for decades with regards to Piracy and I'll let you into a little secret shall I.... wouldnt fecking sail there either.

So fcuknuts if you think its just a bit of bad luck for the Danes and the ex-evangalists of just a couple of weeks back, and the Chandlers, if its so safe and sailing 'floated your boat' so to speak, would you go sailing on a nice big old expensive ocean going yacht, with your wife and kids in the Indian Ocean?

Ottar your arguments whilst maybe statistically correct, hold no weight. With regards to Piracy off the coast of Belgium, is that well known in the news? are there international flotillas of warships patrolling around as prevention? If a yacht was hijacked off the coast of Belgium or Liverpool as you also quoted, then I dont think anyone can call the skipper of said yacht a muppet....certainly I wouldnt...but if there were regular attacks as there seem to be in The Indian Ocean these days then thats a different story!
And it matters not a fecking jot that maybe 90% of yachts get through unscathed, if the risk is high enough as it seems to be in the Indian Ocean then I certainly wouldnt be sailing around with my kids!

Yes statistically you are far more likely to die in a car accident or by bad weather. But we are not talking about the weather or driving skills/conditions, we are talking people purposefully storming boats and taking the crews hostage.

I personally like flying, so if I wanted to fly from where I live down to South Africa I would have to make refuelling stops all down the African continent along the way. If there was a chance that at Country X your plane MAY be impounded and you stuck in the local Nick till you paid off the officials, maybe not at every airfield in Country X and maybe not a certainty but a possibility, a possibility which gets stronger as time goes by because the officials are getting away with it, then call me old fashioned but I wouldnt be landing and refuelling there, and if Country X had the only refuelling stops available...then I wouldnt fecking fly to SA!

read a sociology study of Somali once really really depressing if it was a person somali would be labeled with "personality disorder"
Which in my limited experience is mental health speak for blokes nuts but their is **** all we can do:)
although Somali-land is functioning quite well buts illegal wtf?
the Somali government controls a hotel lounge badly:(

Latest Threads