Blood sports ahead - Pirates capture 4 Americans

I have alwasy thought that the israeli option of "take as many hostages as you want we are still going to come and kill you all" is something that seems to work.

Not very pleasant for the hostages I know but reasonably good at convincing the bad guys that hostage taking is a bad idea.

So the skinnies were being shadowed by the US navy and they boarded after they heard gunfire? The cynical old me is waiting for an update that'll admit they were executed as the navy boarded.
That sounds about right to me! or alternately their constant preaching of the 'lords word' may have pushed the skinnies over the top... either way I guess the Good Lord didnt feel like saving part his flock today then!

This is not playing well with Joe Six Pack. If Obama does not authorize serious and significant reprisals, he may as well announce right now he will not be running for a 2nd term.
I doubt the Mulatto will give a stuff if 4 honkies get snuffed, but I guess his advisors will be a bit worried if he doesn't do something apart from his usual pontification sympathising with the dire poverty (caused by probably the Brits) that caused the Somali's desperation in needing to resort to Piracy after their fishing was plundered by the West!! Hmm... I wonder why the fishing fleets of Grimsby, Aberdeen etc havn't resorted to Piracy after the EU gave all of their traditional fishing grounds to the Spaniards & French!

Hmm... I wonder why the fishing fleets of Grimsby, Aberdeen etc havn't resorted to Piracy after the EU gave all of their traditional fishing grounds to the Spaniards & French!
Can you imagine it! Long John Geordie..."Howay ya bastart, gi us aal ya fooking dublooons ya canny fooker"

That sounds about right to me! or alternately their constant preaching of the 'lords word' may have pushed the skinnies over the top... either way I guess the Good Lord didnt feel like saving part his flock today then!
Aye, christian missionaries aren't popular in that part of the world. If a bunch of doped up somali pirates come aboard and find this.....

aIMG_2662.jpg

..they'll not be happy.

Can you imagine it! Long John Geordie..."Howay ya bastart, gi us aal ya fooking dublooons ya canny fooker"
Made me chuckle, possibly the Scots saying "You'll no be needing your tanker noo!" :)

I doubt the Mulatto will give a stuff if 4 honkies get snuffed, but I guess his advisors will be a bit worried if he doesn't do something apart from his usual pontification sympathising with the dire poverty (caused by probably the Brits) that caused the Somali's desperation in needing to resort to Piracy after their fishing was plundered by the West!! Hmm... I wonder why the fishing fleets of Grimsby, Aberdeen etc havn't resorted to Piracy after the EU gave all of their traditional fishing grounds to the Spaniards & French!
The "poor fisherman forced to become a Pirate" tale has been blown long ago. The recently arrested pirates comprised ex-military types and full time criminals, not poor pirates trying to feed their family at RPG point...

This is not playing well with Joe Six Pack. If Obama does not authorize serious and significant reprisals, he may as well announce right now he will not be running for a 2nd term.
Which would be? A quick TLAM strike at some dusty village? A co-ordinate Div+ attack against the 5 or 6 different pirate "towns", alongside a simultaneous SOF hostage rescue on every pirated vessel? A press release to satisfy internet hard-men who think the solution to this is killing every Somali you meet at sea?

The "poor fisherman forced to become a Pirate" tale has been blown long ago. The recently arrested pirates comprised ex-military types and full time criminals, not poor pirates trying to feed their family at RPG point...
Tut Tut, You cant say things like that on here, dont you know that any group apart from white European, are or have, been exploited and done down by the terrible white imperialist/colonialist bullies of the West, giving them all excuses for resorting to murder/terrorism etc, At least thats what all the apologists would have you believe!! :-(

Which would be? A quick TLAM strike at some dusty village? A co-ordinate Div+ attack against the 5 or 6 different pirate "towns", alongside a simultaneous SOF hostage rescue on every pirated vessel? A press release to satisfy internet hard-men who think the solution to this is killing every Somali you meet at sea?
UP public opinion will probably require at least some raids in force by USN/USMC against a few pirate strongholds.

UP public opinion will probably require at least some raids in force by USN/USMC against a few pirate strongholds.
I think the septics would be a bit wary of using land forces after their experiences in Mogadishu! Much easier & quieter to make Somali Chum for the sharks if they spot any dodgy Somali vessels!!

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
The US Navy captured 13 pirates, killed two - one with shots and another with a knife- and found the remains of two other pirates already dead about the vessel, the US military said
Odd... Sounds like they boarded covertly?

US public opinion will probably require at least some raids in force by USN/USMC against a few pirate strongholds.
Why put military personnel in harm's way?

Is the US deficient in B-52s and B-1s?
Is there not a stock of 1,000lb ordnance that is approaching it's "Best By ..." date?
[If there's a shortage of the latter, St. Barry could always ask Belgium for a few ... ]

Leaflet raids, followed 24 hours later by carpet bombing ...

E&OE ... I'm no expert in International relations and Geo-politics.

US public opinion will probably require at least some raids in force by USN/USMC against a few pirate strongholds.
And what's the Strategic End State? How do we get there? What lines of operation need to work to achieve that endstate?

Of course, the Current Affairs Forum doesn't have to do stuff like that, just spout on about "killing them all".

And what's the Strategic End State? How do we get there? What lines of operation need to work to achieve that endstate?

Of course, the Current Affairs Forum doesn't have to do stuff like that, just spout on about "killing them all".
Here comes the resident J5 rep quashing all ideas of a good scrap......

;-)

13 taken prisoner?

Thats one big lot of stoppages.

Latest Threads