Blood pressure advice (joining medical)

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Snoreador, Feb 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear all,

I had my AOSB medical yesterday, and have been deferred until I can show that my BP is not in the hypertension range. At the medical, I was pretty stressed out, and it was up at 150/85 (down from 178/78 on the Monday morning!). Usually when I measure it at home (keep track for fitness purposes, with a recommended calibrated magic machine) it's around 116-125/65.

I need to get a GP or nurse to confirm that three readings are under 140/90. The problem I have is that I know it gets elevated at doctors surgeries anyway, and as I want to pass this medical, I'll be even more 'on edge', which will just make things worse.

Any ideas on how to deal with this? Have a 20min nurse appointment booked for Monday to try and get the magic three 'low' readings.

Thanks in advance,
    Snoreador.

2. It sounds like you suffer from 'White Coat Hypertension' whereby your blood pressure shoots up the moment someone vaguely medical comes near you.

This is not terribly unusual and smething that I also have - every medical I have shows my blood pressure as either being high or at the upper end of the normal range.

To satisfy the doc my GP gave me a 24 hour monitor (essentially a blood pressure sleeve attached to a box) you wear this for a day and night and it takes your blood pressure at random intervals.

This process showed that my blood pressure, under everyday circumstances, was quite normal.

On my experience get yourself down your GP and talk through your problem - you won't be the first.

Good luck

3. Sorted. Practice nurse made me a nice cup of tea, and that coupled with some Elgar on my iPhone did the job!

4. Congrats, great result. Although to be fair it's usually the practice nurses who cause my blood pressure to go up a bit

5. SNR,

Great news. Good luck with AOSB.

6. Even if they're a mother-like figure? Oedipus would be proud!

7. Ta! AOSB passed, and now all the medical stuff bought up has been sorted - documents with Westbury medical centre to sign off. Should all be OK; Sandhurst in May hopefully!