Blood - Glucose Intolerance & Diabetes...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by uncle_vanya, Jan 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am very overweight, around 24 Stone ...Hmm, well lets just say the GP Surgerys scales reported an 'Error'.....

I recent had a blood test done, and it returned a result of 6.4 on the Blood - Glucose readings. I know I must loose around 8 to 10 stone over a period of time. The word 'Diabetes' has got me worried, and a few sleepless nights. I know Type 2 Diabetes can be controlled with diet, exerrcise, weigh loss and tablets rather than having to inject insulir.

I am cutting out all fats, sugars, dairy products, magerine, cheese etc to keep the sugar, salt and fat contents of my diet down. Is there really anything to worry about, as I can become quite anxious at times. I am 68 and have been ignoring the weight problem for many years.(living the life of Reilly -- without the Caviar, but I don't drink or smoke, and haven't done for more than 20 years)

My ambition is to get into some of the old trousers I could wear around 20 years ago when my weight was around 15 or 16 stone.

Any advice would be greaty received. I am seing a Diabetic Nurse at my local GP Surgery, and have been given quite a few booklets on diet, Diabetes etc.

I have to go through a Blood Glucose intolerance test in a weeks time.

All the things I like eating (cheese, cakes, bisuits all have to go now) ... I know, I'm a Fat B'stid... and my Squadron Corporal was right all those years ago back in the 1960s.....
  2. UV...see PM's

Oh, and that Squadron Corporal might have been me :)
  3. Type 2 diabetes doesn't necesarily mean you can be controlled by diet and tablets, some people do have to go straight on insulin it doesn't make them type 1 diabetics.
    A friend of mine is a millionaire, we were on a course together, he kept complaining about his eyesight and I suggested he had his eyes tested, off he went, and was told to see his GP re diabetic changes. Well he was feeling ill and grumpy, had a row with his wife, took himself off to his villa in Spain out of the way, smashed his car over there into a bin that he'd not seen. So after getting the car fixed he returned home, cheered himself up by buyin a new motorbike but again with his failing eyesight he smashed it into a wall. When he did get to his GP he was admitted into Hospital, was put very quickkly on insulin and things started improving for him. anyway he had a light aircraft but immediately lost his pilots licence and as a builder and coal merchant he also lost his HGV licence.
    Howard wasn't and still isn't overweight but had been ignoring and denying what was wrong.
    Basically you're risking your eyesight, the blood supply and nerver damage will mean you'll probably need your legs amputating if you don't stick to your diet and you may well end up on insulin.
    You don't have to starve as you'll have seen from your diet sheets but you will have to eat sensibly AND excercise and attend all your reviews. This time of year i'm chasing up all the people that haven't been to see our practice nurse for reviews and taking them off our registers or we don't get paid for them. They'll go back on 1st of April but so many just don't come.
    Use that link, use the health questionaire on the front page, use the search box about diabetis, low fat diets, loads of information on that site, we link our practice to it. All of the stuff is pretty much evidence based and also links to self-help groups. Crack on fatty.
  5. Some parts of the country have excercise referral scheme, phone your practice and ask. Ours gave free access to a local gym and swimming baths. Don't worry loads of other larger people are likely to be there but if not tough.
    If you don't have such a scheme just start swimming its good excercise and supportive of the joints of people who are morbidly obese. Yes you are morbidly obese but it's very easy to get down a good few stones at first being such a size. Now don't put it off get out today for a walk or go swimming. Use a housebrick or similar in each hand for exercising indoors. Get cracking.
  6. Looks like you're takin the right steps, but should you get diagnosed don't bury your head in the sand, as Jarrod says things can go pretty bad pretty quickly if left unchecked, so make sure you keep up your appointments. With regards to eyesight, usually you get a referral within 2 months to go and have your eyes photographed (or they might send you to confirm a diagnosis) to check if you have any changes.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. There's a myriad of plastic domestic containers with appropriate grip handles that can be refilled with water / sand and utilised for light weight exercise purposes. Bricks ? ffs :)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Well I did say or similar but yes he just needs to make a start.
  9. If I may offer a bit of advice,as afully paid up member of the FFRU (Fat ******* are Us)have had type 2 diabetes for about 10 years now, alot of exercise for me is not easy ,I swim as often as I can, but I do try and to lose 2kgs a month ,which has been going well for the last 2years,Iam down from 7xl to 2xl, but I digress!! any of you folk with diabetes 2 GET YOUR EYES CHECKED at least once a month, 3 years ago I lost my sight over night, luckily a great friend and opthalmic surgeon operated on my eyes and repaired all the burst blood vessels in both eyes,he saved my left eye and part of the vision in my right eye, so I was very lucky, I can only emphasize folks!! macular degeneration goes hand in hand with diabetes 2,so always err on the side of cautionget your eyes checked, here endeth the lesson!!
  10. Diabetes is a multi system disease. It affects pretty much everything in your body.
    Diet and exercise go a long way in keeping it under control. As Jarrod states, some T2DM patients have insulin injections.

In women it is known for them to suffer silent heart attacks due to cardio neuropathy.
    Poor circulation to your toes and lower legs can be a problem too, which can end in a visit to the vascular surgeon.
  11. Diabetes is a scary word. A normal "Healthy" HbA1c generally falls between 4.0 and 5.3. You are at the very upper edge of what is usually considered pre-diabetic. 6.4. That basically means your blood sugar is averaging about 150 mg/dl, when it really ought to be somewhere around 88 mg/dl. Two separate readings of 6.5 or higher are the norm for diagnosis of diabetes.

However, diabetes really isn't the scary part. It's all that extra free sugar in your blood stream that is the scary bit. Imagine those sharp long chain molecules as tiny chain saws, and the picture is clearer. Those free sugar chains are scarring up your blood vessels on the inside and have the potential to entirely demolish the smallest ones in your eyes and your kidneys very rapidly.

Loosing your sight happens when the sugar rips open the tiny capillaries that feed your retina, causing it to detach in the areas of damage. Laser surgery can stop the bleeding and tack the retina back down in that area, but it will continue to happen as long as your sugar is elevated. The surgery is painful. Your vision will diminish each time as the areas damaged will never be useful again.

Your kidneys are very fine filters, the capillaries in the kidney are so small that the blood cells march through single file in the millions of tiny avenues transferring out the wastes that build up in your blood. Excess free sugars does similar damage here shutting down the process by scarring up the tiny capillaries, which the body tries to heal through inflammation and packing the cracks with cholesterol. Only the scarring and patching means the avenue is too narrow, and now no cells can pass, so one day will possibly wake up with a mad headache, your blood pressure will be sky high and you won't be pissing. This is because not enough blood can get through your kidneys anymore.

Dialysis is a painful process to keep you alive by either filtering your blood, or pumping your gut full of solution to leech the impurities out of you slowly overnight. Haemodialysis means some painful surgeries to enlarge a vessel in your arm so that it can stand up to the stresses of getting poked with large gauge needles three or four times a week to run all your blood through a machine to keep you alive. While the docs are waiting for that enlarged vessel to mature so that it is usable, you will probably have Paritoneal dialysis, where they leave a tube in your gut, and they pump in fluid about 4 or 5 times over a period of 10 hours every day (or night) to absorb all the nasty stuff that you can't filter out anymore.

What is even scarier than all of the above is the rest of the damage that the sugar is doing to your arteries and heart. This damage starts above 5.0. Well before you develop diabetes. For the most part it isn't bad cholesterol numbers that do you in, it is the damage to the linings of your blood vessels. This damage is WHY people have build up of cholesterol, the body is trying to repair all those scarred up miles of bad road inside, and to do this it packs the fat in the cracks, where it catches more fat into clumps which clog the entire works up.

Studies show that for every 1 percent increase in the HbA1c above 5.0 you experience a 20% increase in the possibility of cardiovascular disease, coronary heart disease and death.

When you move from 5.0 to 6.0, you've increased your chances 20% in winning that lottery. When you move from 5.0 to 7.0 your chances have increased 40%, and so on.

PLEASE, do take everything your Nurse has told you seriously, and PLEASE, do take care of yourself. Get your weight down sensibly, but more importantly, avoid carbohydrates (not just "sugar") as much as you possibly can and get your blood glucose under control.

Foggy vision? Get it checked as soon as you can. Headache and elevated blood pressure? Get into the hospital Yesterday. Can't keep your numbers down to 100? Talk to your Nurse or relevant Healthcare Provider immediately to get your dosages adjusted.

Best wishes in your battle for renewed health.