Blokey companies

You’ve already identified one protected characteristic by suggesting you are on the spectrum - while a professional diagnosis if you don’t already have one might be useful, there’s nothing stopping you flagging up and offering to be some sort of ‘neurodiversity mentor’ for those who are coming in to the company.

And if wearing a frock is a step too far for you, at least start wearing rainbow laces and identifying as LGBTQ*

*remember, your family circumstances- married, kids etc. - play no bearing here and do not in any way undermine your completely impossible to prove/disprove penchant for the pork sword - the see Philip Schofield as an example
With such detail, you seem to be somewhat ahead of the rest of us on this subject . . . ;) !!

A mate of mine runs a TV/Film production company.
He and his business partner are middle aged and white and their secretary is slightly younger and white.
His company focusses on true crime documentaries as they have (Ahem!) "connections" with East End gangsters.
He no longer pitches to the BBC because his company does not have the level of ethnic or gender diversity required by them.
Even if he hires people in (camera, sound, Lighting, etc), he cannot ask them about their age, ethnicity or gender and he is also unable to assume.
With other big names (Sky, etc) he has had problems getting ideas commissioned due to a lack of diversity in the storyline. He has had to argue that he cannot change the fact that most east end gang members were white males so he cannot shoehorn more black/female people into the storyline.
And yet the BBC seem to do it, building a world of fantasy, distorting the origin of historical figures, and only this week the ethnicity of the SO of a RN submarine.

I state the final example, confident that if the RN did actually have a black submarine Captain, no-one would be able avoid the constant, unrelenting, publicity !!

Here is a good article, which neatly explains why it is impossible for somebody like me* to play that game:

"Even worse, most campus speech codes are associated with social justice theories of gender feminism, critical race theory, and social constructivism, which reject the best-established scientific findings about sex differences, race differences, and behavior genetics. Requiring aspies to buy into speech codes based on blatant falsehoods violates our deepest systematizer values of logic, rationality, and realism."

*OK, I am not that odd, but it still resonated with me.
I don't even understand most of that vocabulary.

More significantly, I don't even care that I don't understand most of the vocabulary !!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I always wear underwear when I visit that there Londinium .

Wow ! I never thought of it like that, my main concern was the wheelchair tyres marking the shiney shiney floors
and squeaking every time I made a turn.
Exellent post .
Did you get the job though?

Despite the title, this is a pretty serious question for me!

I've been working for 20 years now in the civilian application of nuclear facilities, and basic research. I've got experience of problem solving (keeping big bits of kit, software running), working in contaminated environments, and a stupidly high level of academic qualifications in materials science. I've normally worked in places with 30-40 different nationalities.

However, I've ended up in a bit of a dead end career-wise, one of the main reasons being politics in public sector recruitment. The last big interview I had, I was shortlisted, then informally told that I had no chance due to my gender. In fact, this has happened three times now in the last 7-8 years, due to pressure to appoint women. I'm pissed off now and the wrong side of 40, hence even less attractive it seems. Furthermore, career progression requires swearing fealty to the new politics, writing "contribution to diversity" statements etc, and I just can't make myself do it anymore. Really need to make a change, as it is affecting my health, confidence and family life.

I'm looking for two things: 1) To do something really challenging in nuclear/materials science; 2) To work in a proper team again.

I am unafraid to admit that I really, really like working in the 'wrong' kind of atmosphere! I really like workplaces where the only thing which matters is the outcome, people are unafraid to call each other out, there's banter and after work beer etc. I call this 'blokey', but in fact, I've worked in several places where women have happily worked the same way. Needless to say, this type of fun working environment has been utterly squashed by management/diversity etc in my sector.

I see a lot of adverts which are 70-80 % diversity/LGBT etc statement. What is the correlation with the actual working environment in companies? Is this a good combat indicator for the places I don't want to work? Is the UK worse for this than other countries?

What are people's experience in industries such as: defence, nuclear, mining, contracting etc? I've some practical project management experience, does anyone recommend doing formal qualifications, and if so which? Any particular companies to look out for or avoid? I have seen interesting looking roles at BAE, QINETIQ etc, especially in things like electronic materials for e.g. sensors.

One thing to note is that I probably can't get e.g. DV due to many years spent working overseas.

Any thoughts/banter welcome!

OK, Play the fcukers at their own game....

pen an email to your HR dept, tell them that you now identify as female and want to be called Susan etc. You have now siezed the high ground. You can test their committment to your diversity rights etc. Disrupt every meeting with diversity crap, wear lipstick... make yourself look like an Alice Cooper bad dream. If anyone laughs, gives you a sideways glance... you own them.
If you don't get a pay rise or bonus, standby!
They can't fire you.
Life's too short not to have a bit of fun.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
What about EDF, lots of work starting with the defueling of the civi nuclear stations starting soon. Highly technical stuff round the used fuel removal and handling systems. Jacobs, Costain and Cavendish actively recruiting for engineers and PMs with little success at the moment. IME they're pretty good with the diversity in recruitment as all the women, LGTBQ*ABCXYZ and minorities i've worked with have been sound.
That’s a great shout- I remember seeing some ace jobs with Jacobs. They seem to do consulting for a range of ‘interesting’ customers.

I’ve also just stuck in a 2.5 M€ European project. If no bugger will give me a job, I guess I have to buy one. Assuming I get it, the overhead alone on that (25 %) will surely help when it comes to interview time…..

@Hairy-boab, Magnox Ltd have all sorts of roles alles uber die platz. They also pay well. Or Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.

D

Deleted 15653

Why not join the Police.? Just about every force is recruiting.
Not such. bad idea. I did it at 51. However, no matter how well qualified you are you will. have to do the police degree - which can't be any good as full time officers from scratch complete it in three years. Graduates in other fields do a conversion course. The money is dogsh1t for the first few years but if you fancy going up the promotion ladder it's good wonga.

As long as you don't mind dealing with the dregs of society and being called all sorts.

As long as you don't mind dealing with the dregs of society and being called all sorts.
Dealing with management is a problem in every profession.
What's it like dealing with the public?

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Not such. bad idea. I did it at 51. However, no matter how well qualified you are you will. have to do the police degree - which can't be any good as full time officers from scratch complete it in three years. Graduates in other fields do a conversion course. The money is dogsh1t for the first few years but if you fancy going up the promotion ladder it's good wonga.

I don’t have the five year residency in the UK unfortunately.

Married for a long time now so used to being called all sorts and following orders!

philc

LE
All I can say on the subject, I am glad I no longer work, I really don't know how I would respond to situation's being described here in the work place, most likely suck it up and choose the path of least resistance.

Which is why many men are going down the path of the various extreme ideologies about ethnic minorities, woman and all the above we are at the top of the tree, white middle aged blokes are privileged keep then at at bottom.

Not very helpful I know, good luck, hope you make bundles off the idiots that have no desire to use your skills.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
All I can say on the subject, I am glad I no longer work, I really don't know how I would respond to situation's being described here in the work place, most likely suck it up and choose the path of least resistance.

Which is why many men are going down the path of the various extreme ideologies about ethnic minorities, woman and all the above we are at the top of the tree, white middle aged blokes are privileged keep then at at bottom.

Not very helpful I know, good luck, hope you make bundles off the idiots that have no desire to use your skills.
There is some evidence that men exposed to this sort of thing change their politics. For the first time in my life, I'd now vote Conservative rather than Labour, since I think that this is bigger than old party loyalties. My particular concern is that all this woke stuff is just being used by the hard left to gain control over institutions and power.

That's from personal experience though. What effect this stuff has on a spotty 19-year old in his Mum's house I don't know. I think it is probably a stretch to link it to e.g. incels, the XRW etc. Still, dangerous times.

Despite the title, this is a pretty serious question for me!

I've been working for 20 years now in the civilian application of nuclear facilities, and basic research. I've got experience of problem solving (keeping big bits of kit, software running), working in contaminated environments, and a stupidly high level of academic qualifications in materials science. I've normally worked in places with 30-40 different nationalities.

Any thoughts/banter welcome!
Have you considered training as a Physics teacher? Sounds stupid but might be worth a thought, especially if you don't find anything that floats your boat in your current field. It's no madder than joining the police.

I reckon with your academic background you'd meet the relevant requirements, you can string a sentence together so will easily pass the mandatory English and maths tests and you're probably looking at 40 grand tax free in grants/bursaries and student loan.

My current place has a bloke who just switched careers in his late 40s. Physics teachers are currently rarer than flying pigs, you can pretty much walk into a job in a decent school and providing you don't swear at or hit kids you've got job security until you choose to leave. Plus as anyone on here will tell you it's good money, great pension, **** all work and half the year is paid holiday*.

The really good bit is that if you do all the theory, get the PGCE to add to your collection of post nominals and decide you can't be bothered actually teaching there's no minimum commitment and you get to keep the tax free bursary (you will have to pay back the student loan but that's taken out as PAYE deductions).

* this may be sarcasm

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Have you considered training as a Physics teacher? Sounds stupid but might be worth a thought, especially if you don't find anything that floats your boat in your current field. It's no madder than joining the police.

I reckon with your academic background you'd meet the relevant requirements, you can string a sentence together so will easily pass the mandatory English and maths tests and you're probably looking at 40 grand tax free in grants/bursaries and student loan.

My current place has a bloke who just switched careers in his late 40s. Physics teachers are currently rarer than flying pigs, you can pretty much walk into a job in a decent school and providing you don't swear at or hit kids you've got job security until you choose to leave. Plus as anyone on here will tell you it's good money, great pension, **** all work and half the year is paid holiday*.

The really good bit is that if you do all the theory, get the PGCE to add to your collection of post nominals and decide you can't be bothered actually teaching there's no minimum commitment and you get to keep the tax free bursary (you will have to pay back the student loan but that's taken out as PAYE deductions).

* this may be sarcasm
That's the fall back plan.

It just might work, as long as they don't have access to the disciplinary records from those days, since I did sod all work and got suspended at least twice! We had a great time in those days, plenty of school sports, mountaineering club etc. Smoking on the school bus, and drinking cider on the weekends... Funnily enough, my two favourite teachers were an ex-FAA pilot, and an ex-RAF pilot who had ejected and walked funnily.

I suspect that interesting, imperfect, male teachers are exactly what's missing in many places.

That's the fall back plan.

It just might work, as long as they don't have access to the disciplinary records from those days, since I did sod all work and got suspended at least twice! We had a great time in those days, plenty of school sports, mountaineering club etc. Smoking on the school bus, and drinking cider on the weekends... Funnily enough, my two favourite teachers were an ex-FAA pilot, and an ex-RAF pilot who had ejected and walked funnily.

I suspect that interesting, imperfect, male teachers are exactly what's missing in many places.

One of the best teachers at my Grammar school in the early 1970s was a Jock - an ex-army padre who taught the Religious Knowledge classes (or whatever they were called then). I don't remember what he taught us about religion but I do remember one class discussion about war and killing and he told us that he had been a padre in one of the Black Watch battalions in Normandy.

Also said that he saw Germans being shot down as they tried to surrender - first time I heard the expression "too late chum". I must have been around 12-14years old then.

One of the best teachers at my Grammar school in the early 1970s was a Jock - an ex-army padre who taught the Religious Knowledge classes (or whatever they were called then). I don't remember what he taught us about religion but I do remember one class discussion about war and killing and he told us that he had been a padre in one of the Black Watch battalions in Normandy.

Also said that he saw Germans being shot down as they tried to surrender - first time I heard the expression "too late chum". I must have been around 12-14years old then.
Fairly routine in both world wars. Certain British regiments unofficially prided themselves on not taking prisoners in WW1. I've also read accounts of 'ratting' where Australian soldiers flushed Germans out of the ruins of French towns. The game was to try and shoot them from the hip with an SMLE or, if they wouldn't run and provide sport, to bayonet them on the spot. Cruel times, hard men.

Contrast that to the Alexander Blackman farce...

If you want to avoid certain modern trends then the police or teaching are the last places you would want to go
Possibly but the main thing I picked up from the opening post was how much job specs are linked to protected characteristics, diversity box ticking etc. That's not an issue with Physics teacher recruitment which essentially requires the right qualifications, a clean DBS check and a pulse. Being able to actually teach is optional.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Unofficial motto of 21st Army Group.

Latest Threads