Blokey companies

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Despite the title, this is a pretty serious question for me!

I've been working for 20 years now in the civilian application of nuclear facilities, and basic research. I've got experience of problem solving (keeping big bits of kit, software running), working in contaminated environments, and a stupidly high level of academic qualifications in materials science. I've normally worked in places with 30-40 different nationalities.

However, I've ended up in a bit of a dead end career-wise, one of the main reasons being politics in public sector recruitment. The last big interview I had, I was shortlisted, then informally told that I had no chance due to my gender. In fact, this has happened three times now in the last 7-8 years, due to pressure to appoint women. I'm pissed off now and the wrong side of 40, hence even less attractive it seems. Furthermore, career progression requires swearing fealty to the new politics, writing "contribution to diversity" statements etc, and I just can't make myself do it anymore. Really need to make a change, as it is affecting my health, confidence and family life.

I'm looking for two things: 1) To do something really challenging in nuclear/materials science; 2) To work in a proper team again.

I am unafraid to admit that I really, really like working in the 'wrong' kind of atmosphere! I really like workplaces where the only thing which matters is the outcome, people are unafraid to call each other out, there's banter and after work beer etc. I call this 'blokey', but in fact, I've worked in several places where women have happily worked the same way. Needless to say, this type of fun working environment has been utterly squashed by management/diversity etc in my sector.

I see a lot of adverts which are 70-80 % diversity/LGBT etc statement. What is the correlation with the actual working environment in companies? Is this a good combat indicator for the places I don't want to work? Is the UK worse for this than other countries?

What are people's experience in industries such as: defence, nuclear, mining, contracting etc? I've some practical project management experience, does anyone recommend doing formal qualifications, and if so which? Any particular companies to look out for or avoid? I have seen interesting looking roles at BAE, QINETIQ etc, especially in things like electronic materials for e.g. sensors.

One thing to note is that I probably can't get e.g. DV due to many years spent working overseas.

Any thoughts/banter welcome!

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Start wearing a frock.

You know what, I'm nearly there.

More seriously, it is easy at first to play along with all the newspeak, to treat it all as 'tick box' exercises. However, it builds up into an impossible pressure. Pretty soon you find yourself in meetings genuinely questioning why you are there, and you start to see it everywhere in the media, job adverts etc.

This is especially true for those people like me who are somewhat on the 'spectrum', i.e. super focused on work, like to question/debate things etc. Rather sadly, these are also the attributes that make somebody e.g. an excellent/imaginative engineer/researcher/project manager etc....

anglo

LE
If you are alright, money wise that is, maybe a complete change of trade is required,
not so much money but an easer life

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps have a look at a company called Landmarc. They run all the training areas and firing ranges for DIO. There might be something that they do that would suit you?

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
If you are alright, money wise that is, maybe a complete change of trade is required,
not so much money but an easer life

I basically did that 2 years ago and went into an academic job, hence the career dead end referred to above. Turns out they don't want to learn from people with real world experience.

The thing is that I actually like working hard and challenges. It is killing me to be doing a job which has absolutely no relevance to anybody!

D

Deleted 136127

Despite the title, this is a pretty serious question for me!

I've been working for 20 years now in the civilian application of nuclear facilities, and basic research. I've got experience of problem solving (keeping big bits of kit, software running), working in contaminated environments, and a stupidly high level of academic qualifications in materials science. I've normally worked in places with 30-40 different nationalities.

However, I've ended up in a bit of a dead end career-wise, one of the main reasons being politics in public sector recruitment. The last big interview I had, I was shortlisted, then informally told that I had no chance due to my gender. In fact, this has happened three times now in the last 7-8 years, due to pressure to appoint women. I'm pissed off now and the wrong side of 40, hence even less attractive it seems. Furthermore, career progression requires swearing fealty to the new politics, writing "contribution to diversity" statements etc, and I just can't make myself do it anymore. Really need to make a change, as it is affecting my health, confidence and family life.

I'm looking for two things: 1) To do something really challenging in nuclear/materials science; 2) To work in a proper team again.

I am unafraid to admit that I really, really like working in the 'wrong' kind of atmosphere! I really like workplaces where the only thing which matters is the outcome, people are unafraid to call each other out, there's banter and after work beer etc. I call this 'blokey', but in fact, I've worked in several places where women have happily worked the same way. Needless to say, this type of fun working environment has been utterly squashed by management/diversity etc in my sector.

I see a lot of adverts which are 70-80 % diversity/LGBT etc statement. What is the correlation with the actual working environment in companies? Is this a good combat indicator for the places I don't want to work? Is the UK worse for this than other countries?

What are people's experience in industries such as: defence, nuclear, mining, contracting etc? I've some practical project management experience, does anyone recommend doing formal qualifications, and if so which? Any particular companies to look out for or avoid? I have seen interesting looking roles at BAE, QINETIQ etc, especially in things like electronic materials for e.g. sensors.

One thing to note is that I probably can't get e.g. DV due to many years spent working overseas.

Any thoughts/banter welcome!

That's the world we live in. Diversity and Inclusivity are the mantra. You are Pale and Male.

I'm told there are shed loads of jobs out there, but be prepared for a hard slog.

If its any consolation - I'm in the same boat and now looking for a new job having resigned from my position on the 31st August with no job to go to. I've got all the same problems as you, and it ain't good and I'm the wrong sex and the wrong colour. The fact that I have a state of the art skill set is irrelevant.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
That's the world we live in. Diversity and Inclusivity are the mantra. You are Pale and Male.

I'm told there are shed loads of jobs out there, but be prepared for a hard slog.

If its any consolation - I'm in the same boat and now looking for a new job having resigned from my position on the 31st August with no job to go to. I've got all the same problems as you, and it ain't good and I'm the wrong sex and the wrong colour. The fact that I have a state of the art skill set is irrelevant.

Ha ha! I also chucked my current job with nowhere else to go to. I wonder how many blokes are in the same situation?

Edit: Women from my generation (with much worse track records) are currently being appointed to directorships in my field.

Edit Edit: The right kind of women of course (single, no children). My wife is also highly qualified and out of work. Nobody gives a shit about older women who took a break to look after kids.

Last edited:

anglo

LE
I basically did that 2 years ago and went into an academic job, hence the career dead end referred to above. Turns out they don't want to learn from people with real world experience.

The thing is that I actually like working hard and challenges. It is killing me to be doing a job which has absolutely no relevance to anybody!
I meant change to something completely different, learn something new

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
Set up your own gig and run it how you want?
That is a possibility. I've got a mate who is superskilled in e.g. IoT, programming etc. He's been off work for years now though with stress etc. We already spoke about doing something.

There must be a huge pool of under-used/burnt-out blokes out there. We can start a 100 % male consultancy company. I have seen plenty examples of female only companies being highlighted in the media recently, what can possibly go wrong?

You need to belong to one(or more) of the 'protected characteristics'.

Some of these are mother(?) nature at work.

Others can be acquired.

Cut off your c0ck and call yourself Susan.

That is a possibility. I've got a mate who is superskilled in e.g. IoT, programming etc. He's been off work for years now though with stress etc. We already spoke about doing something.

There must be a huge pool of under-used/burnt-out blokes out there. We can start a 100 % male consultancy company. I have seen plenty examples of female only companies being highlighted in the media recently, what can possibly go wrong?
I'd imagine that when it comes to HR policy it's woke as woke can be - when it comes down to services and prices, all that shit usually goes out the window. Provide a professional service with value, you're already better than most.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
I'd imagine that when it comes to HR policy it's woke as woke can be - when it comes down to services and prices, all that shit usually goes out the window. Provide a professional service with value, you're already better than most.
TBH, what we need is a good crisis- look at what was achieved in R&D during the second world war. Much of this was because e.g. the Manhattan project was empowered to break the rules in order to progress.

You are right that a focus on the bottom line has similar effects. This also explains why the 'liberal' occupations (which produce sod all) are dominated by the woke lot.

You know what, I'm nearly there.

More seriously, it is easy at first to play along with all the newspeak, to treat it all as 'tick box' exercises. However, it builds up into an impossible pressure. Pretty soon you find yourself in meetings genuinely questioning why you are there, and you start to see it everywhere in the media, job adverts etc.

This is especially true for those people like me who are somewhat on the 'spectrum', i.e. super focused on work, like to question/debate things etc. Rather sadly, these are also the attributes that make somebody e.g. an excellent/imaginative engineer/researcher/project manager etc....

I wasn't joking.

Start with a kilt if you're unsure - that's like a frock.

No-one will dare deny your requests.

Set up your own gig and run it how you want?

It worked for me - been my own boss for 18 years now. haven't got rich but at least I'm doing something that I enjoy doing and that I am good at.

Hairy-boab

Old-Salt
I wasn't joking.

Start with a kilt if you're unsure - that's like a frock.

No-one will dare deny your requests.
The thing is, you not only need to have the 'special characteristic', but you need to exploit it using the mantra of the day. Just wearing a skirt is not enough, i'd need to change bathroom policy, instigate a company-wide day of skirts etc.

Hence the special hatred for BAME people in the UK who succeed without spouting on about their 'difficulties', see e.g. current cabinet ministers.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine was a contractor, worked in Cheltenham & North London a lot, on the sick for 6 months or so due to work related stress, started doing up his house in that time, took on other maintenance / improvement jobs for friends & family now does it full time - he's even had work in the next village! (well, he is in Gloucestershire....)
I can still take the pee though as he had to get a GB passport so he could be DV'd on account on him being an actual German

D

Deleted 136127

Ha ha! I also chucked my current job with nowhere else to go to. I wonder how many blokes are in the same situation?

Edit: Women from my generation (with much worse track records) are currently being appointed to directorships in my field.

Edit Edit: The right kind of women of course (single, no children). My wife is also highly qualified and out of work. Nobody gives a shit about older women who took a break to look after kids.

I'm lucky - the Mrs is working and in a good job, which she hates however and wants to do something different, so pressure is on as I cant ride on her coat tails for very long.

Discrimination is really bad news for blokes - its rife and everywhere. Women are being appointed into roles they are not qualified to do cause they have a pair of norks and they are the right colour. If employers cant find a shaded one, white will have to do, but as long as it's a woman. That's the world we live in.

Latest Threads